Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very emotional after the sleeve procedure

This may seem like a dumb question but did any of you get very emotional a few weeks out after the sleeve??? Im 24 days PO and all is really good, no problems, but today Ive been crying at the drop of a hat..... no real reason.

Just very teary. Anyone else experience this???

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

there is a proven hormonal component to weight loss. I'm no doctor but from my understanding fat cells store estrogen, and then release that estrogen as you lose fat. (pls someone correct me on this if I'm misrepresenting what happens!)

people say that post surgery weight loss can hormonally be a little bit like weeks long PMS as your hormones fluctuate.

there's also an uptick in depression and suicide after surgery. of course that may not describe you if it's just weepiness and not darker feelings/thoughts, but it's something watch out for and ask for help with if it gets worse.

but don't worry, what you're going through is pretty normal from everything I've read.

Yes. It passes. Good luck.

9 hours ago, carlychloe2 said:

This may seem like a dumb question but did any of you get very emotional a few weeks out after the sleeve??? Im 24 days PO and all is really good, no problems, but today Ive been crying at the drop of a hat..... no real reason.

Just very teary. Anyone else experience this???

Welcome to the next year of your life!

It comes, it goes, it comes, it goes:-) Totally normal. Surprised your Dr didn't discuss the effect WLS has on your hormones. It is key to changing your weight set point. All those hormones are a good thing right now. I'm still waiting for mine to level but since I am only 3 months out it will be a while. Take advantage of this time to lose as much weight as you can by sticking to the plan and exercising.

Good luck

Joann454
Not sure but I am post metapausal

Ok. Nobody talked to me about hormonal changes. Any time I've had surgery I'm emotional after. I have no idea why. It's weird and I've literally laughed while crying because I feel ridiculous. Hope the good days are frequent and the bad decrease.

12 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

Ok. Nobody talked to me about hormonal changes. Any time I've had surgery I'm emotional after. I have no idea why. It's weird and I've literally laughed while crying because I feel ridiculous. Hope the good days are frequent and the bad decrease.

I agree, when I had each of my surgeries I was "off" for a few weeks.

Its so crazy isn't it???

I'm post menopausal, and I had no symptoms to speak of, hadn't even thought there would be a problem, but it would make sense.

On 4/26. It just hit me today. I assumed I'm going through withdrawals like an addict would?

Maybe so. It's a big deal and pretty traumatic. I hope it passes quickly for you though. :(