Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm 11 months post op and I cheat probably 2x a week I still work out and the rest of the week I'm steady with my diet but what I have noticed is that I will literally gain weight in those 2 days like 6lbs and then for the rest of my week I'm fighting to put those back down and then I do it again.....does anyone else gain weight that fast???? I always manage to put the weight back off some times it takes me to not cheat for 2 weeks to get it all down before I'm comfortable enough to indulge in something I'm not really suppose to have.....i have met my doc goal weight and my own personal goal.....im just trying to maintain but with that said I don't want to gain and would like to enjoy certain things every now and then without worrying about putting on a bunch of pounds in such a short period......

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

If you normally don't eat carbs, then you eat carbs, you are not gaining fat you are gaining Water weight in your liver. Your liver is storing Glycogen which is increasing your weight.

Why do you need cheat meals or cheat days? You should have a way of eating that you don't feel deprived and don't need cheat meals. They are counter productive and are always going to make you feel deprived.

What are your cheat meals? Maybe we can come up with better options.

There's no way, physiologically or otherwise, that you can gain 6 pounds of true fat after one or two so-called "cheat days." 6 pounds of fat gain would have required you to consume and store 21,000 excess calories as body fat. It cannot happen in a couple of days.

What is happening is Water gain due to consumption of too many starches. Eating too many carbohydrates without enough physical activity will cause bloat. Foods with a high carbohydrate level cause the body to store three times as much water compared to Protein. This storage is in the form of glycogen, which requires a considerable amount of water.

The end result of eating too many carbs without enough activity is water weight gain, at least in susceptible people. In carb-sensitive people, carbohydrate loading (a.k.a. "cheating") causes Fluid retention that results in a lot of temporary water weight gain. Recall that the liver utilizes water as it creates and stores glycogen from all the carbs one eats. Thus, water weight gain will show up on the scale as a heavier weight.

I do not have cheat foods or cheat days. If I want a slice of pizza or a cheeseburger or taco, I eat it. Since I have no forbidden foods, I have minimal desire to go off the rails. "Cheat days" are a part of the dieter mentality. I sucked at diets; therefore, I am not on a diet. As long as that burger can be worked into my daily calorie budget, it is not a cheat food for me.

Like Outside and Introversion said, your weight gain is likely Water because you're almost certainly increasing your carb intake. I also want to echo their cautions about the 'cheat' mentality. It's deadly. You CAN eat anything, if you plan for it. Take away the implications of 'cheating' and turn that into 'planning'. I just ate macadamia nuts glazed with Kona coffee. Are those a great choice for someone just under one year post-op? Of course not, but I planned for them, and adjusted my day accordingly and will adjust tomorrow as well. It's not a 'cheat' and can't do me any harm if I plan, adjust and move on.

I have the same problem pre-op..I had 2 slices of pizza one day and gained 5 pounds that took me 2 weeks to lose..

8 minutes ago, hardwork&dedication said:

I have the same problem pre-op..I had 2 slices of pizza one day and gained 5 pounds that took me 2 weeks to lose..

I will reiterate that two slices of pizza does not result in 5 pounds of fat gain. To gain 5 pounds of body fat, one would need to consume and store 17,500 calories as adipose tissue. Two fully loaded slices of pizza on a hand-tossed or deep dish crust contains 800 to 1,000 calories at the most, depending on the toppings.

Your 5-pound pre-op weight gain was almost assuredly all Water weight due to the high carbohydrate content of the pizza. And yes, it takes a while for some people to lose the bloat and water weight gain, especially if they do not engage in vigorous physical activity to use up those water-heavy glycogen stores.

34 minutes ago, Introversion said:

I will reiterate that two slices of pizza does not result in 5 pounds of fat gain. To gain 5 pounds of body fat, one would need to consume and store 17,500 calories as adipose tissue. Two fully loaded slices of pizza on a hand-tossed or deep dish crust contains 800 to 1,000 calories at the most, depending on the toppings.

Your 5-pound pre-op weight gain was almost assuredly all Water weight due to the high carbohydrate content of the pizza. And yes, it takes a while for some people to lose the bloat and Water weight gain, especially if they do not engage in vigorous physical activity to use up those water-heavy glycogen stores.

No, I understand. That's why it's so frustrating. But think about this, so far I've been losing 1-2 pounds a week (pre-op). During the 10 days I only lost those 5 pounds...And I did work out vigorously, getting 20,000 steps on some days....so it's pretty much the same as gaining 5 pounds.