Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 minutes ago, darnlochnessmonster said:

You're very lucky! I've gotten my nausea and vomiting under control but gas is still an issue. I also stopped taking my pain meds for the last two days because I'm so constipated. TMI here, but until this afternoon, I hadn't "gone to the bathroom" in a full week.

This was me on Tuesday night. I didn't go for six days and at 1 in the morning the Constipation kicked in. I didn't know what to do with myself. The day of surgery they started me on a stool softener, but damn, that was a rough couple hours until the diarrhea began to happen. Then I was on the toilet every half hour for 24 hours. The good news is that I blew through ten pounds but it was not fun. Does your doctor have you on a softener or milk of magnesia?

2 minutes ago, Finding_Stacy said:

This was me on Tuesday night. I didn't go for six days and at 1 in the morning the Constipation kicked in. I didn't know what to do with myself. The day of surgery they started me on a stool softener, but damn, that was a rough couple hours until the diarrhea began to happen. Then I was on the toilet every half hour for 24 hours. The good news is that I blew through ten pounds but it was not fun. Does your doctor have you on a softener or milk of magnesia?

Stool softeners twice a day. I think they're finally really kicking in and helping. Sorry you had to deal with constipation THEN diarhea!

On 4/30/2017 at 0:12 PM, puk said:

I too had surgery on 4/24! Everyday feeling better but it is def hard to get all the liquids and Proteins in! I am waking up early and starting sipping but this is not easy! What kind of pureed foods do you have?

My pureed plan is whatever what was on the hospital menu for pureed diets that they gave me. For instance, they have scrambled eggs on the menu, so even though it's not a pureed food it's allowable. I try to eat a scrambled egg every morning but usually can only eat a quarter of it. I've been eating a 1/4 cup of Oikos vanilla greek yogurt (in the black container). I have the sugar free popsicles and sugar free pudding but haven't really eaten them. I've been getting in a shake and a half everyday of the Premier Protein shakes, but it's work.

On surgery day I was 362, and today, I am 345.0 exactly. That's 17 pounds in one week! 32 pounds since 4/15. Mind boggling. For the first time I have little ankles and my feet aren't swollen. My body is finally able to heal itself and it's happening for me and for you :780_sparkling_heart:

Hello, everyone! I was sleeved on Wednesday, 4/26 at 10:30AM at Highland Hospital in Rochester, NY. My surgeon was Dr. William O'Malley.
I was a bit of a wreck when I went in for pre-op. I was crying a lot because I was really scared of anesthesia. This was my first experience ever being knocked out for more than just a few moments (previously, I've only ever had my wisdom teeth removed). The nurses were really supportive and I had a good experience meeting my anesthesiologist. We discussed getting something to calm me down even before we left the pre-op area - I accepted enthusiastically. I was aware of the "ride" over to the operating room but didn't feel anxious thanks to the drugs. I remember sliding onto the operating table and an oxygen mask coming to my face. After that, I was in a recovery room answering what my pain level was (I seem to have said 7, but I don't remember that at all). Next, I was in my room and it was about 2:00 pm.
I struggled hard with nausea. I was warned by my anesthesiologist that I was at one of the highest risk groups for nausea due to the drugs - young, female, non-smoker (I'm 27). He was spot on. For the first night and day in the hospital, I felt nauseous frequently and vomited several times. If you vomit, don't empty your bucket yourself - it's important that your nurses can take a quick look to make sure that what's coming up is innocuous (in this case, a little blood from the tube placed in my throat during surgery and stomach acid). Vomiting was...horrible. Not only is it the regular ick of throwing up, but it was also very painful for my incision sites. I was given meds for nausea and vomiting, but ultimately we discovered that the drug I was given to help the nausea and vomiting was actually contributing. The drug was Phenergran and I know now that it doesn't agree with my system. Once we switched to a new drug, the vomiting essentially disappeared and the nausea improved a lot.
The items I found most useful to have with me at the hospital were: Biotene spray with mint flavor (between dry mouth and vomiting, it was wonderful to have), an electric heating pad, my own pillow, new pack of underwear, and my own nightgown. I had also brought my laptop, cell phone, mini toiletries and a few other things, but didn't end up using them at all. My pain control medications (hydrocodone) make me very sleepy, and I wasn't really awake for more than just a few minutes at a time. The fresh pack of undies was great for morale as I needed a catheter for the first 36 hours because I couldn't seem to void my bladder on my own at first due to anesthesia. This process was not at all painful for me, likely because the drugs had me so relaxed. If I'd been more awake/aware I imagine it could have been quite uncomfortable.
The items I'm finding most useful at home are my microwave heating pad - I use the Carex Bed Buddy Back Wrap. The warmth is really soothing to the gas bubbles and the gentle weight provides good compression that's not too much or too little. It makes a world of difference and I can't recommend it enough.
I was also sent home with 7 different prescriptions - something for pain, nausea, vomiting, blood-clot prevention, Vitamins, a stool softener, and another that I can't remember. The blood clot prevention drug is a shot that I can inject into my self in the back of the arm, belly, or thigh. I have an incredibly supportive SO who does this for me. I will need to use it for 10 days. It's not too bad - obviously the nurses were a lot better at th einjection, but for a complete novice it's still relatively pain free and tolerable.
I'm hoping to return to my desk job on Wednesday, 5/3 exactly one week after my procedure. However, I'll continue to assess this on a day by day basis.

I was just sleeved with O'Malley on 5/12. Pretty much had the same experience except I didn't vomit. Thank god because it would have been very painful.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:25 PM, rico31286 said:

I was just sleeved with O'Malley on 5/12. Pretty much had the same experience except I didn't vomit. Thank god because it would have been very painful.

The vomiting was the worst. Mine was likely caused by the (then unknown) allergy to Phenergan. As soon as we removed it from my medication rotation, it stopped completely. Hope your recovery is going well!

Congratulations to all of you in joining the losers bench!! I am 9 months post op and have lost 78 pounds as of today:) I had my surgery out at Stony Brook Hospital on Long Island. I did not have any real issues after the surgery, except for Constipation. It does correct itself just do as your surgeon tells you. I have no regrets and feel really good:)

If anyone is from Long Island and interested in meeting others that have gone through this surgery also. We have a little group that meets up in Nassau and Suffolk County. June 3rd we are meeting in Nassau County. Let me know.

Again, congratulations to all of you:)

Elaine