Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date scheduled. Feeling nervous & questioning if I should.

Got my date, June 13th. They could do it sooner but I am a little nervous and still want have some time to think and I Also, have to get a ton more pre surgery tests done. Blood work, EKG, X-rays, gallbladder ultrasound... Did anyone else have to do that many more tests?! I am 30 and other than over weight- I am healthy (no diabetes, high blood pressure etc)

I keep going back and forth between excited to get skinnier, healthier, and feel better. And worry/ fear that I won't be able to maintain the healthy life style, it will be all for nothing and I will be back where I am now or I will end up never being able to eat again without being sick or some other health issue.

I feel like my family is supportive and thinks it's great for me to do this, even my General Doctor is really positive and excited for me, but I don't know if they really get the changes and the life commitment I am making. Or the chance that I could fail at this too. Plus I am the only obese one in my immediate family so I don't know if they really get the up and down with weight and stuff anyways and if they just think, hey you'll look normal and be healthy what's the down side?!

I have lost 30lbs pre op dieting, in 4 months but I KNOW I can not get to a 130lb goal without surgery.

I still have 110 to go, and I have been stalling this last week or two at 240 even though I am eating about 1400 calories a day, exercise 2x a week, and high Protein low carb diet.

I hear and read so much about how it is easy to eat around the sleeve or gain back if you don't change things long term. There are some things I can see myself doing forever like Protein Shakes for Breakfast, I like them they are good, give up soda, sure I have done that for 3 months and I am doing fine with it.... Then their are other things I don't know how long I can do without like French fries, pizza, or bread.< /p>

Did anyone else question this when the approval came in? Regrets of surgery? Postpone surgery, or cancel it fully?

This is natural, and most have going through it. Remember the reasons that you wanted this in the first place. Odds are low that you keep the weight off that you have lost without following through. There are definitely risks, though very small. Almost 9 months out, I wouldn't change a thing that I have done. It's your ultimate decision, but if you have jumped through the hoops, I would encourage you to concentrate on the things you want out of this. Look at the before and after pics on this site. It helps with the fears.

Good luck

Congrats to you on losing 30lbs in 4mos. I think you'll be fine. It's normal to have these thoughts of not being able to stay on track after the surgery. I'm currently going through the process of WLS. In fact, I have my first orientation to attend tomorrow and I am so excited. Do you mind sharing how you lost the 30lbs in 4 mos? I mean what exactly did you eat each day. I'm trying to plan my meals.

Congrats to you on losing 30lbs in 4mos. I think you'll be fine. It's normal to have these thoughts of not being able to stay on track after the surgery. I'm currently going through the process of WLS. In fact, I have my first orientation to attend tomorrow and I am so excited. Do you mind sharing how you lost the 30lbs in 4 mos? I mean what exactly did you eat each day. I'm trying to plan my meals.

Hi dimples,
For me I use the free my fitness pal app to track what I eat each day. I do track my major exercise in there (like spin class but not like cleaning or anything unless I break a sweat or its for a prolonged time) I also do not allow myself to eat my exercise calories back. Meaning when I burn 600 calories spinning the app puts it as food calories to eat, but I ignore that.

I have found 1400 is about what I can eat and feel satisfied with. Sometimes I am under and sometimes over (I split a Cinnabon with my husband at the mall last week- when we were shopping, those have 500 calories in a just a HALF!) that was an over day for example!

For me right now pre surgery:

Breakfast: Fage Greek yogurt (the fruit mix in kind) or a Premier Protein shake (Carmel or chocolate are my favorites) also I add some cold brew coffee to the Carmel one if I am craving a morning coffee and it taste like a latte!

Lunch: tuna with light mayo with a few thin crackers or on a turnamo( low carb wrap) instead of bread, a string cheese, A salad with Turkey and low calorie dressing, maybe some baked chips if I am craving a crunch or An apple. Some left overs of my high protien dinner the night before ( like chicken shishka bob and veggies that were on the grill, marinaded in soy sauce and a little honey & cider vinegar) And if I know I will be low on Protein for the day( if I had a salad for lunch, then I drink a premier protien shake with/ after lunch.

Dinner: this varies a lot! Some times on weekends I eat a CRAP dinner like a Friday fish fry, but eat less breading and only a tiny bit of tarter sauce on it, and the fries (I am a totally fry person, if your not sub for veggies to save on the carbs, but I love salty more than sweet so that is my treat instead of chocolate)

I have found a lot of high protein recipes online that I use! Tonight for example we are eating a baked chicken breast, stuffed with apple slices and a little Gouda cheese, baked with some cubed sweet potatoes mixed with a dash of pam olive oil salt and pepper - baked all on one baking sheet for easy clean up.

I have subed out white Pasta for edamame pasta (get it at costco) or lentil pasta, and that taste fine to me with sauce and meatballs etc. even my husband eats it. I try and use marinades on things a lot more instead of sauces, I have found that helps keep calories low. I also love green Beans, zucchini or a salad- and I use those a lot with dinner, to try and fill up and get some nutrients, as early on my dietician mentioned I needed more fruit/ veg in my diet. I have done riced cauliflower and mashed cauliflower as substitutes for rice or potatoes they are ok but not the same as the originals :( my husband won't eat them.

I limit myself to one "carb" serving with dinner, so no more than 1/2-1 cup of rice, potatoes or bread item at dinner. I am a carb-a-holic otherwise. And try to avoid them at every other meal.

Snacks/ Desserts that are healthier than the alternatives that I like: beanitos chips (instead of tortilla chips, taste the same and has more protein) with guac or salsa. Halo top ice cream is only like 200 calories in a pint, so a scoop of that is very reasonable if you are craving ice cream.

I also do make myself exercise 45mins 2x a week. I have done lots of different classes: once a week- like spin, a Water jogging, boot camp, boxing, and I have an eliptical at home for my second time a week. I like to switch classes as I have a drop in style pass for place near me and I prefer trying different things and different times fit my schedule better.

My surgeon said exercise would help weight come off faster and also help with avoiding loose skin, which I really would like to try and do, as best as I can.

Good luck to you! I love sharing recipes if you are ever interested!

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your daily food and exercise routine. I love it. Good luck to you as well!

I am 5 weeks out with a sleeve. My restriction is very tight still, but things are becoming easier every day.

It was so hard to imagine preop just how little food I would eat, and how satisfied I would be with it.

Get a digital scale that measures in ounces and partial ounces. (Like 2.5oz, etc.). And a plate.

Measure out 3oz of meat. This is your new Protein serving size (for life).

Weigh out 3oz of nonstarchy vegetables.

Depending on your meal plan, you might have potatoes. Weigh out 2 oz.

This plate of food is what you'll be eating 4 times a day forever. It will take about a year to be able to eat everything on the plate. (If the protein is tuna salad, I can finish that right now, but not touch the other things).

You'll be able to have pizza or whatever again. It should just be the occasional splurge rather than the Friday routine. And be prepared to eat only one piece instead of 3.

Before surgery I was eating close to 4000cal a day. It is a relief to me to look at the "forever plate".

Congratulations on your weight loss and life style changes. It looks like you are following your plan, which is so important.

I ditto everything the other posters mentioned. I am 6 months out and measure and weigh everything. Fitness Pal is my "my go to" for logging food every day.

The decision to have VSG was the best decision that I ever made. It is still surreal that I have lost so much weight. I never would have been able to lose this much weight on my own. If I could have, I would have. The positives definitely out weigh the negatives.

After surgery my taste buds changed. What tasted good prior to surgery may not taste the same for you after surgery. Some people recommend "no" or "low" carbs after surgery, however, like the previous poster I allow carbs (small amounts) after I have eaten all of my Protein and if there is room. I don't eat rice but I occasionally eat 2 Tbsp. sweet potato, quinoa, etc. At 6 months out I still can't always fit it all in. The minute I feel full, I stop. eggs are still an issue. They don't taste like they did before and cause nausea. Every person is different and your tummy will tell you what you can or can't tolerate.

Usually I eat breakfast but have a Protein Shake at lunch. The Protein Shakes really help so I get all of my protein. When I have a shake I add Miralax because Constipation, for me, is an ongoing issue. It is one of the most challenging issues. I also eat 2-4 prunes a day and/or some nuts. They contain a lot of calories and carbs but they are necessary for me to stay some what regular.

Another issue for me is Hair loss. I am still losing it. Thankfully I had a lot so it isn't that noticeable.

It is great that you are exercising. It has really helped me. My energy level is through the roof. I walk, walk, walk, daily, ride a stationary bike and lift weights 2 x week.

Prior to surgery I had some acid reflux and a small growth on my stomach, which they removed and biopsied. They performed 2 endoscopys (no big deal ... slept like a baby). I had no other tests except blood work.

I go for my 6 month nutritionist/N.P. visit today and they will do blood work. My blood work has been great except for Iron. The circulating is fine but the other low. I had a bone density and they were in normal range, they improved since surgery, along with my PTH. I am on NO medications except for allergy. The improvements in my health are amazing. My blood pressure is fantastic.

I am in my mid-fifties and experienced menopause 15 years years ago. I have experienced a couple of stalls, which I try not to get me down, because before I know it my weight drops. Throughout my journey I have virtually lost an average of 1 to 3 pounds a week. I have to work for every pound, VSG is not an easy fix. It takes diligence and dedication to stay on plan every single day.

So happy you have your surgery date. Wishing you the best with all of your tests. Once those are done, I am sure you will feel more relieved. Keep following your plan and doing what you are doing and you will be just fine. Again, it is the best thing I ever did for me. Hoping you will feel the same.

I totally relate to your post and remember those days of self doubt. I have lot weight many times, but never maintained a healthy weight. Five months post surgery I'm super happy. Healthy, loving my food, satisfied with healthy food in healthy portions. I never drank a single Protein Shake. I did stir Protein Powder into Soups for the first stages. Then as quickly as allowed I shifted to real whole foods. Lean Protein, vegetables, fruits, whole grains. Delicious, filling, gives me great energy. And sure, the occasional treat when traveling or just because. Small portion, with enjoyment. I track everything in MyFitnessPal, enjoy tracking on my Fitbit, and have an Aria scale to track body fat along with weight. If you want this and commit to the journey you will be successful.

Yes
I felt the same way.
Did not thank I could do without
Chocolate or Pasta but now I don't miss it. I have substitutes which are healthy. Mashed Cauliflower instead of mash potatoes, chocolate Protein Drinks, Protein Bars, etc.....
You will love the new you and the new way of eating.
I make pizza with chicken crust or Cauliflower crust.
I am so happy I had this surgery.[emoji23]!

Sent from my D6708 using BariatricPal mobile app