Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery "Cover Story" for friends, coworkers, etc

I am 31, single, with a BMI of 35.88...

Does anyone have any ideas as far as a good "cover story" to tell my friends, coworkers, or colleagues in regards to being off work for a week or two to have surgery? I was thinking something along the lines of abdominal surgery or a female type of surgery so it is somewhat consistent with the sleeve surgery and side effects I will actually be having. I do not want a lot of people to know that I had this surgery so I would prefer to keep it to myself but it will be somewhat difficult since I am the type of person who has never been shy or closed off about my own personal life. I live a very social type lifestyle involving weekly gatherings with friends where alcohol is always present. For the last few years or so, after I have any type of alcoholic drink, my face and neck turn bright red from what is (seemingly) an allergy to alcohol so I can most definitely use that as my story as to why I will be not drinking for a year, per my doctor's orders. Can anyone help think of a good surgery that is non-bariatric but would be a good cover story to be vague about if people were to ask? I know it probably would be best to just be truthful with friends but I would prefer to keep this to myself as it will be my own journey and I do not want the judgement or ridicule from others especially since I am in a smaller California town where a lot of people talk/gossip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by HealthyPursuit

I didn't want a lot of people to know either. My main reason was because I didn't want to hear any negative comments. Unless someone is familiar with all aspects of WLS there are so many misconceptions. I did my research and I really didn't want anyone's unsolicited input (especially from people not familiar with the process).

Work was easy, I told them "female surgery". Most of the men just slowly walked away (some ran) and it never was brought up again. The women just assumed I told the truth since I'm of that age.

Now that I am beginning to lose the weight and it is noticeable IF someone asks what I've been doing I just tell them when I went for surgery I got a kick start and ran with it (which is a half truth). I also tell them I've lost weight before and have been unsuccessful in keeping it off so keep me in your thoughts/prayers/good vibes (whatever they believe). This kind of changes the subject off how you did it. While I still haven't told anyone at work, I have told some friends the truth since surgery. They have all been supportive.

I'm social too (mostly at-home gatherings) and no one has asked where my glass of wine was! I just make sure I have a big glass of crushed ice topped off with Crystal Lite! It's my mock-tail for now. Maybe they think I've switched to vodka :-) ! Either way no one questions it! They probably just assume it is part of the diet.

I wish you the best of luck. At almost 6 weeks out I am so happy with my decision, I've never looked back!

I just told people I'm having surgery/abdominal surgery but have been vague about what specific type. I'm pretty reserved generally so people haven't asked for more detail. As far as after, I was planning on going with a similar story to @FLHappyGirl's and just say that I lost weight after the surgery and decided to keep at it. I don't know how obvious it might seem if I come back to work smaller (I'll be out for 4-6 weeks) and then keep losing weight (fingers crossed). But I suppose I really don't care if people whisper and gossip as long as they do it behind my back in a civilized manner.

Gall Bladder surgery has the same incisions, recovery time and some of the symptoms. It can alter your eating habits, food tolerance etc.
Best Wishes and I totally support your decision to keep it private. I felt the same until the weight started to fall off. Once I felt more confident in my decision, I wanted to share to challenge the negativity around Bariatric Surgery. I've had amazing feedback. BUT, it is your choice!!

Ulcers, or gall bladder because then you have a food/alcohol excuse for social gatherings 'oh no thanks since that gall bladder surgery I just can't tolerate xyz food' and 'lucky me it is helping me shed a few pounds'.

Ulcers, or gall bladder because then you have a food/alcohol excuse for social gatherings 'oh no thanks since that gall bladder surgery I just can't tolerate xyz food' and 'lucky me it is helping me shed a few pounds'.

Good one, I'm using this

[emoji813]2017 could it be, a new me? yaaaass please![emoji813]

I am really appreciating everyone's responses! Keep em` coming... I like the gallbladder surgery idea.

Abdominal Surgery. That's it. No more. That's what I told my office. I told my husband, my two teenage daughters and two friends. Didn't tell my sister or my mother. As far as the office was concerned, I had surgery on Tuesday and was back at my desk on Monday. If anyone asked for specifics, I thanked them for their concern but said I did not want to discuss it.

As for the weight loss or the change in diet, I was actually honest. I am following a diet prescribed by my doctor after my surgery. If more was asked, thank you for asking, but that is private.

Never raised the issue with my mother or my sister -- my mother died six weeks after my surgery never knowing it happened. My sister, with whom I cam close, still does not know.

It is no one's business. Particularly at work. If they get really nosy, when they ask about the surgery, ask when they last had sex. When they get offended, explain to them that you view your medical issues the same way they view their sex lives.

Worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Abdominal Surgery. That's it. No more. That's what I told my office. I told my husband, my two teenage daughters and two friends. Didn't tell my sister or my mother. As far as the office was concerned, I had surgery on Tuesday and was back at my desk on Monday. If anyone asked for specifics, I thanked them for their concern but said I did not want to discuss it.
As for the weight loss or the change in diet, I was actually honest. I am following a diet prescribed by my doctor after my surgery. If more was asked, thank you for asking, but that is private.
Never raised the issue with my mother or my sister -- my mother died six weeks after my surgery never knowing it happened. My sister, with whom I cam close, still does not know.
It is no one's business. Particularly at work. If they get really nosy, when they ask about the surgery, ask when they last had sex. When they get offended, explain to them that you view your medical issues the same way they view their sex lives.
Worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you! This made me laugh out loud... I like the way you think!

I think hernia repair would be good. It explains the diet changes and weight loss. 40% of WLS patient end up losing their gall bladder and you can't have it taken out again.

I had my surgery on Monday. Up until Sunday, none of my friends knew, and I'm in a very close group of friends, one or two of which I knew may not approve. So I bit the bullet and sent them an email on Sunday, explaining what I was having done, why, how I felt, then said ' you all matter to me, so although I won't ask for your approval, I am asking for your support' they have all been amazing. One or two have said, 'we wish you hadn't done it, but it's your life, we love you, and we'll support you'. I've been astonished at their responses. Your friends may very well surprise you, and those people who are going to be bitchy behind your back will do so no matter what, you'll have the last laugh when you're lovely and slim.

Hernia (hiatal or umbilical cord). It covers a multitude of logical potential side effects, post op situations, scars, -and even some weight loss

The only thing is if you say you had gallbladder surgery and then for some reason REALLY have to have gallbladder surgery (it's not uncommon for WLS patients) it might mess up your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk