Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve as outpatient?

Hello all, I found out through my insurance that they will only approve VSG as an outpatient surgery going forward. They used to approve 1day inpatient at the same time as the surgery review. I'm feeling nervous as I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to go home on the day of surgery, plus, when I spoke with my surgeon he told me to expect a 2 day inpatient stay and that he usually does not find himself discharging patients on POD1.

Like most people, I've read case after case of VSG surgeries and I have yet to come across a person who went home the same day. My impression was 1 day inpatient was reasonable, and of course I'd understand staying inpatient for a second night if my pain or nausea was out of control, or I was not tolerating fluids.

Has anyone done VSG as an outpatient? If you stayed inpatient, how did you feel right after surgery? Did you feel like you can go home that night?

Hello all, I found out through my insurance that they will only approve VSG as an outpatient surgery going forward. They used to approve 1day inpatient at the same time as the surgery review. I'm feeling nervous as I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to go home on the day of surgery, plus, when I spoke with my surgeon he told me to expect a 2 day inpatient stay and that he usually does not find himself discharging patients on POD1.
Like most people, I've read case after case of VSG surgeries and I have yet to come across a person who went home the same day. My impression was 1 day inpatient was reasonable, and of course I'd understand staying inpatient for a second night if my pain or nausea was out of control, or I was not tolerating fluids.
Has anyone done VSG as an outpatient? If you stayed inpatient, how did you feel right after surgery? Did you feel like you can go home that night?

One of the "big names" in the Dallas area does outpatient procedures and only keeps overnight if fluids are not tolerated.

My surgeon, though, keeps everyone at least one night, sometimes two.

With my surgeon he generally discharges the same day as surgery unless there are complications. However, they request that you come back to the office first thing the next morning for IV fluids. If the patient lives a bit away from the surgical center they ask that you stay at a nearby hotel.

I had vsg and my hernia fixed went home the same day you def need someone to help you for a couple of days the next day I had to go back for my swallow test everything was fine no complications

I am 1 week post op and absolutely cannot imagine having gone home that same day. No way.

Check in your insurance about what they consider "same day" usually it means 24 hours so you do end up staying overnight. With my insurance it is you have to be discharged 24 hours after the time of the surgery start and if that is past noon then you end up staying a second night and get discharged first thing in the morning.

Mine is considered outpatient but I'll be there until about 5:00 am, so probably close to 24 hours, and getting IV fluids right before I leave.

My husband had VSG back in October 2015 and went home the same the day. He was completely fine. He just had to focus on taking sips of Water and walking. I am scheduled for VSG this Friday and it will be outpatient. I asked my surgeon how he felt about it and he said that research shows people rest/recover better at home.

I had my surgery in Dallas on Feb 10 as an outpatient. If you're in the DFW area, check out Dr McCarty. His mini sleeve procedure is great. It's a much easier procedure.

As of this morning, I'm down 51lbs

SW 372 GW 260 CW 326