Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve to Bypass

This is my first time posting, so I am hoping that I can get some real life responses and stories. :)

I had lap band done in 2008 and in 2014 had it converted to the sleeve because it had slipped. I LOVED my band!! I was down to my goal weight, felt pretty great until it slipped. I had the sleeve and have done nothing but GAINED since then, no matter what I do. About 6 months ago, I started having severe heartburn and GERD, my surgeon has tried everything...I have had every test as well. We even tried taking my gall bladder out a month ago, because I had "similar feelings" to my symptoms when I did the nuclear medicine test and had to drink Ensure. I am still having the symptoms. Burning, gagging and throwing up...when I throw up it is very rarely food, it is mostly acidic feeling, tasting and smelling. Gross I know, 3 days after surgery it happened 13 times. I have my gall bladder post op and believe that having the sleeve converted to bypass is the next step.

Who has done this? Has it stopped the symptoms? Are you happy you did it? How hard was it to change to this way of eating? I am very nervous to have the bypass and I would greatly appreciate everyone's HONEST opinions and insight on this!

Thank you SOOO much!

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm going to the doctor next week to see what they say. Keep me posted. Lap band July 2008 Lap band removed July 2014 and sleeve Oct 2014.

I did this, minus the band journey. I went from Sleeve to Bypass and haven't looked back! Now, I'm only nearly 3 weeks out, so I can't testify to the weight loss results yet, but as far as the GERD that change in my life has been MAGICAL! It feels so good to sleep on my back, to drink Water before bed and in the night if I am thristy, to not have to sabotage my weight loss by relying on carbs to temper down the acid, and to free myself from the fear of developing Barrett's Esophagus or esophageal legions or ulcers. Trust me, living with chronic severe GERD is no way to live. Come on back to the civilized side, DO IT! You will certainly thank yourself later.