Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd Questions for Mexico Bansters...

Those of you who got banded in Mexico, did the doctor take credit cards, or did you have to bring a cashier's check with you? When they ask you at customs whether you're there for "business or pleasure", what did you tell them?

Jonathan

I used credit cards. I found out after I got home when the statements came in I was charged an-additonal fee for useing them, not much but beware.

While in flight to MX I was given a questionaire form. I responded with "medical" same thing at customs.

I provided a cashier's check. The doctor was going to charge a 5% surcharge to cover the credit card handling fees.

I was advised to tell customs, and anyone who asked, that I was a there for 'pleasure' as a tourist.

I used a cashiers check. I didn't have to talk to customs directly because I had a driver from the doctors office pick and drop me off from the San Diego airport.

Customs will ask you if you have any medications - the answer is no!

Even if your doctor has sent you home with some pain medication or antibiotics, the answer is no.

Another reason not to declare that you are there for surgery or anything medical.

Can others comment on declaring meds, etc., upon returning to the US? Do the Dr's offices advise on this? Seems like it'd be fine to declare whatever you're bringing back, since it's at a Mexican doctor's advice (and script, presumably)? I'm a reasonably good citizen (imho), and fear lying to customs! Help!?! I'm not a seasoned border-crosser, and since my surgery date is getting so close, I seem to becoming ultrasensitive to concerns. Border-crossing, declaring meds, denying meds, these are more things to worry me. What's the advice on this? Do reputed Dr's on the Mexican side provide advice/assistance to patients on this matter? Please help!

I took a cashier's check, make sure you find out who to make it out to. I made mine out to my doctor, later found out I should have made it out to the hospital. But no problem, my doctor cashed it, then got another one out to the hospital in my name (he is great). Anyway, at customes I said I was there for pleasure, since you can walk around regularly they wouldn't know. The medications you will bring back from your doctore are very few (just like anitbiotic, pain medication, etc.), so they are for personal use, it is not like you are bringing back tons to sell.

I don't think customs is anything for you to worry about. I was also picked up at the San Diego airport and driven across in a taxi and left that way. The taxi driver knew exactly what to do to make it all go very fast. I think customs took us a whopping 4 minutes of waiting and all. It did feel a little nerve wracking but they just passed us right thru asked the standard questions and off we went. We didn't even know we were excused. We stood around for a minute when one of the custom's officers noticed us still there and he shewed us out and told us we were done. I know people have all kinds of experiences with it but I wouldn't waste my worries over it. Just bring only what you need too so there is less for them to x-ray. Best wishes, Teresa

Depends. Which doctor? Which city? Driving or flying? Which hospital? The doctors who DO accept credit cards will likely surcharge you for using one.

If you want to avoid all of this, you could, for example, make arrangements with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, to pay him and the hospital (if it takes credit cards, which I think it does) separately. (Actually, it costs a little less to do it this way, BUT if you pay Rumbaut, he covers any expenses in case of complications. But he's so good, there are almost never any complications and so he makes out like a bandit on this part.) Anyway, you could then enter the country with a cashier's check for Rumbaut and pay the hospital with the credit card. OR, you could pay a deposit to the doctor or the hospital prior to going. In Rumbaut's case (since he was my surgeon, his is the only procedure with which I'm familiar), that money goes to a bank in Texas and so you didn't move any money out of the country.

Technically, the rules are the same everywhere, they are just more likely to be enforced in the Mexico City Airport or Monterrey airports than they are if you drive into Tijuana or Nogales. But the dollar amount under discussion is ten thousand. If you want to avoid breaking any rules, it might be best to pay the hospital separately via credit card or pay a deposit in advance.

As far as meds were concerned, I made sure I hd a copy of myRx's and I took the pills out of the packages, so they wouldn't look "so new," and just carried them in as I would a package of Sinutab or something. Nobody asked, I didn't offer.

Sue

I always tell the truth about why I'm crossing the border...usually "doctor's visit," is all it takes.

Take this for what it's worth. It's from Dr. Kuri's Yahho Group Message Board

When you get to the border, there is no way around it. You will have to wait in a (sometimes) very long line. Do not accept any offers to "Get you across the border". [see Caution]

When you get to the border crossing and inspection station, you will show some kind of photo ID, or passport. Driver's license is all that I show them. They will ask you if you have purchased anything in Mexico.

Absolute Best To Say: "I Have Nothing To Declare"

Otherwise, be truthful. Declare all that was purchased in Mexico.

HINT: Do NOT declare any medicines.

Here is a major legal problem with international meds. Without giving you the whole history about Drugs, FDA, Mexico, Sept 11, and all that. The fact is: If you declare any meds, they will take them, and you will get a stiff warning. If you don't declare them and they find them, USTres will take the meds and give you a serious fine, and an all expense paid trip to the federal jail in San Diego. Ouch!

HINT2: Do not mention anything about an operation. When they ask you the reason for the visit to Mexico, "To attend a wedding".

Why? Because, their next question will be, do you have any medications? And, you may not have the poker face to lie about your meds. So what to do about all those FDA legal drugs? I say to them "I have no medicines".

Yes, I have seen USTres web site. But, their practice is different.

Like Sue, I'm a Rumbaut patient. I flew from Chicago to Monterrey and had no trouble with passport control or customs coming or going. The form that US Immigration asks you to complete when you re-enter the US asks what you have purchased. Since I didn't fork over any separate cash for my pain meds -- Dr. R and the hospital include them in the fee -- I didn't declare them. I said my trip was a vacation. Most people don't spend their vacations unconscious and bruised (or do they?), but it was still the truth.

I had my surgery in August. Dr. Rumbaut required a cashier's check, which included his fee and the hospital's. My bank gave it to me without a surcharge.

Jonathan, there's an old "Mexico misconceptions" thread from the fall (Sept-Oct., I think) that you might want to check out; I think it's in this "General Lap-Band Discussion" forum.

For what it's worth regarding payment to Mexican surgeons, each one has their own requirements. I'm having surgery on Jan. 19 with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. He does NOT accept cashier's checks but suggests wiring the funds ahead or bringing cash or traveler's checks. I'm opting to take traveler's checks rather than wiring the funds -- just in case there is any problem that precludes surgery, to save any potential hassle with getting the money back. Dr. Aceves doesn't require an advance deposit, which I think is great.

Regarding bringing back meds, I agree with Zoe - for the meds that are given as part of the surgery regimen, you haven't actually purchased them in Mexico, therefore shouldn't need to declare them.

Jackie S

Banding on 1/19/05