Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scarring question.

I think I will need a Tummy Tuck. I have keloids. My lapband scars are still raised and red and itchy. I am 14 months out.

I am afraid of a TT scar, being visible under a bathingsuit and basically ugly. I am confident it wouldn't be as ugly as my hanging, post losing almost 100 pounds and 3 pregnancies, but still. I am worried that the scar will be ugly, raised and itchy.

Is there anyone else with information for me on keloid skin?

Can these scars be bleached, prevented, injected with something to prevent such scaring.

I have not seen a plastic surgeon, but will in the next year or so. Just curious to know.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know much about this, but when you see your PS, ask about salicilic acid pressure tape. My surgeon (Dad) said he'd evaluate me at 6 weeks to see if he thought I'd need it. Apparently it helps with raised scars. I didn't wind up needing it, so I don't have further information. It apparently doesn't make normal scars any better -- they only recommend it for scars that aren't developing normally.

OOo thanks for that Julie. I tried silicon tape on one surgery, hard to tell it if helped or not. So this salicilic acid pressure tape is new to me.

Will ask....

I form very bad keloid scars and have seen a plastic surgeon in the past who suggested that he could try and break down some of the scar tissue (my scars were about a year old at the time) by injecting something into the scar (sorry I can't remember what it was). The possibility of it making a significant difference wasn't enough for me to go ahead given that I would have needed about 3 - 5 treatments and it was quite expensive. I use stacks of Vitamin E oil, body butters etc and find that over time the scars are not quite as raised as they once were - and yes I can feel them under my bathers but I do not know if others notice them.

My surgeon has said that he may be able to remove some of my loose skin and work on improving the look of the scarring that I already have at some stage in the future however he does not want to do anything until I have reached my goal weight and have remained there for about a year!!!! Wow considering I was only banded 2 weeks ago I have a long wait!

I hated the huge scar that I have from liver surgery for the first year or so and over time I learned to look at it as a reminder that I am alive so it helps tell the story of who I am. It doesn't look any less ugly but I have learnt to not only be proud of my scars but also to love them.

I hated the huge scar that I have from liver surgery for the first year or so and over time I learned to look at it as a reminder that I am alive so it helps tell the story of who I am. It doesn't look any less ugly but I have learnt to not only be proud of my scars but also to love them.

Great attitude mss.

I;m newly banded and have the same issue. Im actually afraid that doc wont get to access my port as the scar tissues seems to have formed right over the port. I had gotten Beifine from my dermo for another scar and im going to try and start putting that one, it worked wonders on my other scar which was on my face and black as heck. Its completely gone and no raised or discoloration skin. As i type, im thinking of starting it today. Ask for a sample from your doc or schedule a visit to your dermotologist.

Mes

I recently had PS and was given some very good advice on how to help reduce scarring post surgery. I only wish my surgeons from previous surgeries (band, gallbladder, c-section, etc.) had given me the same info.

What he said was after the first 2 weeks you should start a massage routine over the incision sites, even the smallest ones. He recommended a cream called Nutri-E from CVS or any Vitamin E lotion that contained a minimum of 10,000 I.U. of Vitamin E. He also said you should be able to it for around $4-$8 per bottle without having to pay for some of the more expensive name brand creams that can cost as much as $30 for 1/2 the size. But even more important than the vitamin E lotion according to the doctor was the massage. He recommends massaging the incision in FIRM, small circular patterns, spending 1-minute per "circle" (i.e. a 2-3" port scar might take 2 minutes). And you are to do it twice a day though I'm not sure for how many weeks. It seems the firm massage helps break down the build-up of internal scar tissue before it can take hold.

Sorry, but I don't know if this would help for scarring 6 months or further, but it couldn’t hurt.

Oh, and one more tidbit for anyone out there that hasn't had the band yet. I don't know if it would be possible but now that I've gotten to the stage of PS I really wish I'd had the foresight to have tried to talk the band surgeon into placing my port incision a little lower. Not the port, just the incision. Even if it had meant a larger incision if he could have placed it closer to my belly button and reached up in from there to place my port then when I'd had my TT the scar would have been completely removed with the rest of my excess skin. As it was, the scar was about 3" too high and very visible. Although the Plastic Surgeon said that when I get my breast reduction next year he may be able to re-open that incision and "re-seal" it better than it was done the first time so I might have a chance at a less visible scar.

Ghost: great tip, I am going out to buy some tonight. I had bought a silicon scar ung but I think I will add the vit e massage to the plan as well.