Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a melt-down-Need Advice

Hey guys, having bit of a melt down so just need some words of advice. My starting weight on March 13th was 285. I went through a 2 week presurgicial diet, where I dropped 20 lbs. Monday March 27th I had my gastric sleeve surgery done at 265 lbs. I was losing steadily down to 248.8 lbs. That was my Friday weight. Then my surgeon told me to take some Miralax, which I did plus some benafiber and even ended up doing a suppository and pooped a little Saturday morning. But my weight went up to 249.4. I was like wtf. Then yesterday I ended up walking 15,000 steps and getting in some Water and 2.5 premiere Protein Shakes (In my full liquids phase). I am the EFFING same weight today. I am driving myself nuts. A few baris said their weight loss was down steady for a few months. I am at 2 weeks and up 1 lb maintaining. I know I sound crazy, but this is the first "gain" I seen on the scale and it is barely at the 2 week mark. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just nuts? Thanks inadvance

Calm down and take a deep breath! Stop weighing insistently. You're driving yourself crazy. I had surgery 1/16/17 and still don't have a scale at home. We have eating/food issues and constantly weighing ourselves is just a big an issue as we had before the surgery. Just drink your Protein, walk, eat the stage of diet your on and the weight will come off. You're driving yourself insane with the train you're on. It is really easy to do. WE are not wired right in our heads about food and eating those issues aren't going away just because we've had surgery. RELAX and breathe. You're going to be ok! :D

With the exercise you are getting, try to increase your Protein and Water intake. My stats are similar to yours and I had surgery on 3/1. Dropped 15 lbs pre-op and lost another 20 or so since surgery. Also remember that most people experience stalls in week 3 and everyone's body is different. My stall lasted 2 weeks. scale is finally moving again, but slow. My NUT says that I should lose 1-5 lbs a week and encouraged me to increase protein and INTENTIONAL walking, and to make sure I get enough fluids.

Lauren- I have had some similar issues with the scale not moving at all and being up a lb. Seems like the weight loss has slowed down dramatically. I was sleeved on 3/16. Starting weight was about 220 prior to 2 week liquid diet and am at 193/194 now. You have lost WAY more than me ! You are doing great!

Thanks guys! So hard to weigh myself everyday. I am just going to try weighing myself mondays and possibly fridays. I am tryig to get as much Protein in as possible. Got 60 grams in yesterday, but def hard.....Another question how long were you guys on full loquids and when did hunger come back for you? Mine came back today ahhhh. Thanks for all of your advice.

My weight loss stalled in week 2 and i have been a little upset about it. And today I even gained a lb. I know it's normal and there is usually a stall in week 3 (which has just begun for me). Knowing it's normal doesn't make it any less frustrating. I only lost about 12 lbs after surgery before the stall hit. I was hoping for a lot more given how few calories I'm consuming each day. It has also made it clear to me that there is no way that I could have done this without the surgery. We have to remind ourselves that we're in this for the long haul and that if we keep focusing on the Protein, all will be well.

Thank you guys. It feels great, not to feel so alone. And you are linasg we are in this for the long haul. I need to stop weighing myself everyday. It is driving me nuts. I am going to try for Mondays and Fridays for now and see how it goes . I start puree Saturday. Ahhhh.

You've lost 40 pounds in nearly a month!! That's great!!!

I have been PERFECT with my Protein and Water intake. And I gained at about 2 weeks (3pounds). I'm factoring in my traveling though and. Trying to take it in stride. I was definilty swollen after my flight, my fingers were tight and puffy. I was in Disney all week in the heat walking 15000 steps a day pushing a heavy stroller and felt swollen each night.

And yesterday I got my period!!!! So I'm hoping that is a big factor and I will see a drop. I will usually gain 2-5 pounds water Weight PMS, I just wasn't thinking about it.

Im staying at my in laws for a few days and hoping to hop on a scale for some good news. It would really suck to go to Disney, following the plan completely and staying active (I did the eliptical a couple of days BEFORE the parks) and see NO loss. But I will say that I look better...and feel great too.

Someone here said to take measurements so that all of your progress isn't just measured on the scale. I've read from some vets that during their stalls, they have lost inches and clothing sizes.

Lauren, please remember that as we lose and exercise we are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Try taking your measurements and focusing on the changes you see there, also pay attention to your clothing sizes, I'm 1 year post-op (Surgiversary is April 18) and have only lost 56 lbs, but am not focusing on only my weight am also taking my measurements and being proud of the clothing sizes that I have shrunk to. Keep your head up, it may not be noticeable on the scale but your body is changing. [emoji256]

anything worth doing is Never easy [emoji3]

I would imagine that the more you have to lose, the greater your loss will be on a monthly basis. I started with only 70-80 lbs to lose, so it will go much slower than someone that has 100+ lbs to lose. Keep it in perspective and know the numbers of the calories in vs calories out don't lie.

Stalls happened and they are frustrating as hell but just keep doing what you need to do and you will break them. I stalled a lot early on. I stalled at 3 weeks for 10 days. I stalled right around 6 weeks and again around 8 when I went on a regular diet. Protein, Exercise and Fluids are the way to do it.

I have noticed that once I hit 3 months I started losing more weight. My NUT says that happens sometimes, when the swelling is down and you can eat more sometimes the weight drops off faster. I've lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks after losing 1-2 pounds a week steady before that.

Thank you everyone! Hearing these success stories definitely make me feel better. My new goal is to weigh myself 1-2 times a week and starting today I am taking measurements. I should have done that from the beginning! Thank you again!!

Stalls are no fun, but they are a part of this journey. And they only get more prevalent the further along that you get. My recommendation is to stick to your plan, to focus on meeting your Protein and Water goals, and to stay off of the scale if it is going to upset you.