Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I need help with info about crushing your prescription pills. I was told before surgery I would need to crush my prescription pills for a while after surgery. I am 21 days post surgery today and crushing my pills and drinking them together with Water or applesauce is starting to make me sick. Most of my bariatric friends told me they quit crushing after 2 weeks. I called my doctor office because I have not been back for my follow up yet and the nurse said one year. I told her she was crazy and to please clarify. She sent me an email later that said doctor wants you to crush for one year. I had the Gastric Sleeve at mayo Clinic. Jacksonville. I feel a little alone because the followup post surgery has not been what they led me to believe it would be. I am not wanting to take some horse pill Vitamin or anything, I just want to go back to taking my synthroid and crestor whole again. Thoughts??

I have to crush for 6 months. I was trying to mix it with yogurt, pudding, and smoothies. It was horrible tasting and making me sick and nauseous. Someone told me not to mix with anything sweet, but mix with something acidic. So today I put it in some orange juice. What a lifesaver. Wasn't perfect, but oh so much better. Very tolerable.

My surgeon said you can swallow ur meds one tablet at a time as long as you take the small ones and time release meds are 15 minutes apart , bills that r large break in half or chew them sipping small amounts of Water a shop glass size is just enough to get the pills down . Good luck

Never crushed my pills. Swallowed huge metformin pills within 24 hours of surgery.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate them. I want to do the right thing and sometimes that is difficult because the doctors we each have are all over the place in their particular opinions. I made n apt with a pharmacist at the hospital for next Monday to discuss further. I take one time release pill but primarily I am talking about swallowing the others including metformin. This morning I managed to keep them down with applesauce but no way I can continue for a year or even two more months. I am fairly new to this, only three weeks post op[ and I leased with the results so far ( 30 pounds) I just have to get a handle on this pill crushing business. Thanks for being such special people and being so open and willing to share your weight loss journies with me. Rob

I'm only a week post op but I was not told to crush my meds. The hospital even gave my home meds to me whole the morning after my surgery.

My doctor said never crush pills, just to cut if needed (except time release must stay whole). I never had any problems swallowing pills, even large potassium pills. You could just call your surgeons office and ask to speak to a nurse. That's the simplest way to get answers and your office will know better than a hospital pharmacy.

My dr didn't say anything about crushing my pills either, although they are small. He even gave me a prescription for anti nauseous meds and that is a pill.

Hi I need help with info about crushing your prescription pills. I was told before surgery I would need to crush my prescription pills for a while after surgery. I am 21 days post surgery today and crushing my pills and drinking them together with Water or applesauce is starting to make me sick. Most of my bariatric friends told me they quit crushing after 2 weeks. I called my doctor office because I have not been back for my follow up yet and the nurse said one year. I told her she was crazy and to please clarify. She sent me an email later that said doctor wants you to crush for one year. I had the Gastric Sleeve at mayo Clinic. Jacksonville. I feel a little alone because the followup post surgery has not been what they led me to believe it would be. I am not wanting to take some horse pill Vitamin or anything, I just want to go back to taking my synthroid and crestor whole again. Thoughts??

My doc advised any pill larger than a baby aspirin should be crushed from now on.