Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anxiety over changing behaviour 3 weeks preop

Hi, there:

I'm scheduled for VSG surgery on April 17, 3 weeks from today, and I'm really anxious about giving up my go-to support, FOOD! I didn't think it was that much a part of my life until now and it's scary and shocking, a bit of shame thrown in there, that I am panicking about not being able to turn to my old standby when dealing with negative thoughts and feelings. I'm eating all kinds of crap that I had easily given up without an issue but now that I'm getting closer to my surgery date it's like I have to grab onto it because it's going to be gone forever (in my mind).

I know this is not healthy but I'm struggling.

Does anybody have any advice or have you gone through this yourself?

Thanks in advance ;)

food is an addiction just as bad as anything else. Years ago (prior to quiting) whenever I used to give thought to giving up smoking I started to smoke more than normal. It's that idea of giving something up and taking in as much as you can while you can. This is a big moment of reflection that you need to do with yourself and really evaluate your relationship with food.

So often I see topics asking about doing a final binge before the pre-op diet starts. Not that there's anything terrible about that as long as kept in control, but the way I looked at it is that whatever last food "fix" I got it wouldn't be enough. I might take care of one craving, but another would take its place. That was a wake up call on how much control food had on my life. You have to decide if you're going to continue to let it have control over you or if you're going to take control of it.

Emotional eating is commonplace, but it's that addiction that has to stop. The surgery is going to be a tool but your mind has to change as much as your body. You can still eat emotionally after surgery, and while you may not be able to eat as much of an unhealthy food you can still graze and bring all habits back. I say this a lot, but for myself I feel like my food issues are no different than somebody that's recovering from an alcohol problem. Each day I have to make the right decisions, and at this point (about 9 weeks out from surgery) I still battle with avoiding old/bad habits. In time it will get easier just like it was when I quit smoking, but I also know this is a life long fight that I'll have.

food is an addiction just as bad as anything else. Years ago (prior to quiting) whenever I used to give thought to giving up smoking I started to smoke more than normal. It's that idea of giving something up and taking in as much as you can while you can. This is a big moment of reflection that you need to do with yourself and really evaluate your relationship with food.
So often I see topics asking about doing a final binge before the pre-op diet starts. Not that there's anything terrible about that as long as kept in control, but the way I looked at it is that whatever last food "fix" I got it wouldn't be enough. I might take care of one craving, but another would take its place. That was a wake up call on how much control food had on my life. You have to decide if you're going to continue to let it have control over you or if you're going to take control of it.
Emotional eating is commonplace, but it's that addiction that has to stop. The surgery is going to be a tool but your mind has to change as much as your body. You can still eat emotionally after surgery, and while you may not be able to eat as much of an unhealthy food you can still graze and bring all habits back. I say this a lot, but for myself I feel like my food issues are no different than somebody that's recovering from an alcohol problem. Each day I have to make the right decisions, and at this point (about 9 weeks out from surgery) I still battle with avoiding old/bad habits. In time it will get easier just like it was when I quit smoking, but I also know this is a life long fight that I'll have.

You are spot on.[emoji1417]

The pre-op phase is a big eye opener.

I learned what foods I could give up easily and which ones were harder to pass up... All good things to know for the future. It helps you identify triggers (both foods and situations). I had to consciously pause in those situations when I would automatically reach for food.

It is scary and shocking and embarrassing to look at how unhealthy our relationship with food has become, but I really think that awareness now is going to be key to our success later.

You're not alone and you can do this.

19 hours ago, 1poundatatime said:

The pre-op phase is a big eye opener.

I learned what foods I could give up easily and which ones were harder to pass up... All good things to know for the future. It helps you identify triggers (both foods and situations). I had to consciously pause in those situations when I would automatically reach for food.

It is scary and shocking and embarrassing to look at how unhealthy our relationship with food has become, but I really think that awareness now is going to be key to our success later.

You're not alone and you can do this.

I agree. It really forces us to look at ourselves, and it's not always a pretty picture. But it's awesome that we're now aware so we can do something about it.

Edited by Diana Prince

Thanks so much for your input, everybody. Diana, I used to smoke so your analogy really resonated with me. I've decided to do what I did then - get a bit angry! When I smoked, I felt that cigarettes had control over me and having control over my life is a HUGE thing for me, so deciding to take control away from the cigarette addiction and put it back in my hands was what really helped me quit. Next month will be 5 years, I quit "cold turkey" and never looked back, no nicotine replacement or anything.

So, fast forward 5 years and I'm going to do this again. Also, stopping and reflecting 'why do I want this food? '. What purpose is it supposed to serve? Will it move me towards my goals or away from them?

Thanks again for your support, ladies. I really appreciate you all.

Find a therapist ASAP.

Agree with this 100% a lot of this is mental and we need support through it just like any other addict. I have my first appt next week.

Cigarettes and alcohol can be given up. But food...we have to learn to make good choices for the rest of our lives in order to live linger.

Shalom

I am using hypnosis/meditation cd "THE WAIT IS OVER" by Roberta Shapiro available on Amazon. As long as I use this faithfully 5-6 times daily, I have no trouble at all. It's when Im sick that I want to eat the wrong stuff.

I am 57 years old and been bedridden since May of 2016 due to spinal stonosis. I lost my job, my mobility,and my home all at one time.I have been in a nursing home since May 2016 with almost no visitors or support. The only one that gives me strength is the Holy One of Israel.

Ari