Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long can you go w/o a fill?

I was banded 9/21 and there is nothing in my band. I was really curious to know if there are some people who have gone 6 months to a year without a fill. How long have you gone? Is there anyone out there that has gone a year?<br /> <br /> Thanks for your information!

I had my first fill about 7-8 weeks after surgery, then my 2nd a month later...that one being done 15 months ago. I still have decent restriction, not tight, I can eat a full variety of foods, but just MUCH less than before. Since losing I'd say the first 80 pounds, it has slowed down, but other than an occasional plateau, I have never stopped, so have opted against another fill, I do not want to chance getting too tight, it seems to start too many problems.

I too have heard of people losing ALL their excess weight with no fills. The Dr. who did the seminar I attended said occasionally the band is placed right over the nerves that send the full signal to the brain, and you literally never feel hungry again....but it is very rare!!!

Good Luck, Welcome to Bandland, and welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

I am a little over 3 months out and have not had a fill. I go back on the 18th to see if I need one yet. I am still losing without one though.

I'm about 3 months out and haven't had a fill yet either. However, I met with my doc yesterday and we've scheduled the first fill for Oct 12th so that'll be about week 13. So far I've continued to lose weight after the first 2 weeks after the surgery.

I would love to be one of those people who don't have to have a fill for a long time. I am not only self pay but I think it may be better if you can go longer. I read so many that even after two weeks of surgery they feel they need to have a fill.

I had a fill at 8 weeks and I'm schedule for another one Oct 8, so that's 5 months between fills. I've talked to a lady on-line who lost 100+ pounds and only had one fill.

I think the secret is to try to practice good eating habits early, as soon possible to use the band as one of the tools of weight lose not

the ONLY tool. OMHO

Good Luck!

Connie

I had surgery on 1/19/07. Got my first fill 4/11 (1cc), second on 5/23 (1cc) and third on 8/13 (.5cc). I go back on Monday for follow up appointment. Don't know if they will recommend another fill. I think I need a little bit. I am just at the one pound per week loss point.

Faithmd - i can't believe you have lost 70lbs without a fill! That is so amazing. I am alreaday scheduled for my second fill in a few weeks.

Faithmd - i can't believe you have lost 70lbs without a fill! That is so amazing. I am alreaday scheduled for my second fill in a few weeks.

I lost 40 before surgery (not on the pre-op diet, before that), and then 30lbs from surgery.

So no, I've only lost 30lbs since banding without a fill. Maybe I would have lost more had I been filled, but I'll take it for now.

I have to learn to listen to my head and stop when I get the satisfied signals (hiccup, runny nose, belching, etc.).

My surgery was 08/14 - First fill was at approx. 6 weeks 09/25. Second fill is scheduled for 10/11. I was told I had to wait 2 weeks between fills. I have a 10 cc band and am getting a 1cc fill at a time. Today I am one week post 1st fill and feel absolutely no different than the day before I went - no restriction what so ever. I am down 20 pounds.