Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you could talk to your younger self, what piece of advice would you give related to weight or surgery?

If you could site on this bench with your younger self and give one piece of advice about weight or bariatric surgery, what would it be?

If I could sit with my 16 year old self, I would tell her that there was going to come a time when her anorexic eating would no longer work. Her hunger would come back full force and she would not be able to control it. I would tell her that eventually she will resort to bulimia and her life would become out of control in ways that she could not even now imagine. I would describe to her the hell on earth that it would become, so that she understood the gravity of her situation. Then I would tell her that it is critical she tell her parents to get her really good professional help for her eating disorder right away.

advice to your younger self.jpg

I would tell myself to stay away from all the fast food joints, chew my food better and eat healthier.

Stay away from all the chips and dips, sodas, and junk food.

I'd tell myself the statement my mother always said to me is true "don't be and end up like me." (A whole slew of physical ailments due from obesity) and continue with your healthy and active lifestyle even when you get married. Be a leader when your husband doesn't know how to eat better. Be a leader and drag his butt out of the house to go camping, hiking, tubing, etc.

Don't let yourself go.

16 year old me: If you think you're "fat" and "hideous" now, just wait till you're 27! It gets much, much worse before it gets even the slightest bit better. Get ready for a rough decade.

I would tell myself to get the surgery as soon as possible so my own children could benefit from the changed food environment in the home. (As it is, my oldest is almost out of the house, and she needs the knowledge more than anyone) :(

I would tell myself to start eating better and working out regularly now. Losing weight IS possible. That even though WLS would be an option in the future, nothing is like staying trim to begin with. No excess skin, no lost life, no non-existent love life...that food is not my comforter and friend. That food is a catty, underhanded bitch working to undermine you on the auspices of making you feel better. LOL.

I would tell her to not use food as her best friend when she got to college.

I would tell her that this decision will be the hardest thing she would ever have to do but she will do it and be proud.

I would inform her that she was almost going to end up like her dad (which she feared more than anything).

I would hug her and say don't lose your love for adventure and the outdoors because it will keep you healthy and one day you will miss it.

And most importantly, I would tell her that she is an awesome kid and will be an even more awesome adult.

That people would look up to her and think she is brave because of the surgery she is getting. (But hope that would fix the habits before she would need it).

I could go on for days about what I would tell my 16 year old self.

I would say "It's not your fault...". I have suffered guilt for my family's implosion for years. This caused decades of self destructive behavior.

"It's not my fault"!

sooooooo many things......

#1... don't marry your first husband at 16... #2... don't quite school.... #3... go to collage #4... don't listen to anyone when they say... Your too skinny. #5... don't marry your second husband #6... Enjoy your youth (except for the being raped at 13).... #7... at 30 start watching your weight.... it will become out of control. #8... never let a man control you. #9... appreciate your family and your friends....

I'd laugh at my younger self and tell her that as fat as she thinks she is, she'll look back on those days and wish she was that skinny again.

I'd also tell her to get the surgery. I've mentioned on here before that my body is broken (as confirmed by doctors) and no matter what I do, I can't lose weight because of PCOS and a metformin allergy.

The past 10+ years or so, I have had monthly breakdowns over the complete lack of control I have over my body. I'll give up carbs completely and lose 10lbs, then eat half a cracker and immediately gain 20. I'll work out regularly and nothing changes. It's devistating and disheartening.

So I'd tell my18 year old me to get surgery if it got out of hand again and be spared the heartbreak of having no control over her/my body.