Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going for my monthly weightloss appointments. In 2015 my Dr documented my height at 5'4' my BMI was 41, then in 2016 my Dr documented me at 5'5 still with a BMI of 41. If they used my height as 5'5 in 2015 it would have dropped my BMI to 39. I don't have any comorbities. Should I be concerned, my surgeon measured me at 5'4, and so did my new doctor. My Drs office doesn't think it's going to be an issue.

May I ask, if you have no comorbidities and may barely meet the one bmi requirement...then why do a drastic surgery? This is not easy. There are many restriction and possible complications

The restrictions don't dissappear after weightloss nor does the risk complications.

Good Luck

When I decided to have surgery I was 5'10 and 238 lbs on my own scale (naked, first thing in the morning!) I don't remember what the BMI was but it was borderline. When I was weighed at my surgeon's office I was 5'9 and 245. I think my BMI was 36. I don't have the standard co-morbidities like heart disease or diabetes but I have bipolar disorder and arthritis in my hips. I needed a note from my therapist (who specialized in eating disorders and evaluated patients for surgery all the time) to clear me for surgery anyway, and I got a letter from my orthopedist too. Ultimately my insurance covered my surgery based on a history of depression. I had gastric bypass on 6/8/2015.

From everything I've heard over the last two years, insurances are very different and my policy was liberal. I had no problems whatsoever.

Anne, I had this surgery because I have struggled with my weight my entire life. At one point I weighed 288 lbs. I was heading there again, and the thought of going on one more diet scared me, because I knew I would just gain the weight back. I was borderline suicidal. My surgeon agreed that this surgery was the right decision for me. He said it was more dangerous for me to continue losing and gaining weight than to have surgery and I know he was right. It's been a struggle, mainly because I still have diet mentality and that's what I'm working on now, with a great nutritionist. It's not easy but it was the best thing for me.

RNY 6/8/15 SW 248 LW 175 CW 197 GW 180 "Eat to be the person you want to be."

Michelle, I wish you success in your surgery.

I say this not from a negative place. But your struggle is mental. You can gain weight post op and I can't believe RNY was approved for someone your height and starting weight!

I will say the same thing of myself I was 310 and at 5'11. My issue is mental. The surgery was not the answer. It's only worsen my mental health.

I am talking to my therapist and we think I suffer from body dysmorphia. I can't see myself as others see me.

May I ask, if you have no comorbidities and may barely meet the one bmi requirement...then why do a drastic surgery? This is not easy. There are many restriction and possible complications
The restrictions don't dissappear after weightloss nor does the risk complications.
Good Luck

I don't barely meet the criteria that was in 2015 nearly two years ago, and at that point I had lost 30 pounds which I quickly gained back. I weigh between 260-265. My feet hurt all the time, and my cholesterol was a litte high when I had my last blood work. I can't show proof for three years, because it hasn't been high that long. I have Migraines all the time which my doctor thinks weight is a big contributor. I just keep gaining, and I am ready to feel better. I have struggled with my weight for 10 years now. I understand the complications, but I have three children that I want to be here for. At the rate I'm going my health is going to deteriorate fast. My BMI is about 44 now.

I know many skinny ppl in my life that have Migraines. So it's not necessaryily weight related.

I hope it works for you. But if your leg pain and migraines conitinue post weightloss how will you manage it without NSAIDS?

I know my Migraines are weight related I lost 95 pounds before, and gained it back and more, the migraines stopped after I lost weight. My feet pain I think is weight related, but I don't take any nsaids on a regular basis. I take imitrex, and I'm getting approval not Botox to treat migraines. I truly believe most of my feet pain will subside , but if not I will just have to deal with it.