Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Sleeve Surgery in Mexico



Recommended Posts

Hello!

I am new to this forum and have recently considered going to Mexico for the gastric sleeve surgery. My current BMI is in between 36-37. I have no other issues other than a high BMI. I scheduled an appointment here in the states, but the doctor wouldn't even see me because I did "not qualify". I have struggled with weight my entire life, but it seems to be getting harder the older I get. I would like to control it before it gets out of control.

My main concern is traveling to another country to get this procedure done. It scares me to think of it even in the states. But I know if I continue to gain weight, my body will slowly break down. I already have knee issues and slight arthritis in my hip. I am about 5'7, 232 pounds. Through brief research, I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Illan may be the way to go. Can anyone give me their experience traveling, fear, etc. I would love to hear others journey's! Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, VDH said:

Hello!

I am new to this forum and have recently considered going to Mexico for the gastric sleeve surgery. My current BMI is in between 36-37. I have no other issues other than a high BMI. I scheduled an appointment here in the states, but the doctor wouldn't even see me because I did "not qualify". I have struggled with weight my entire life, but it seems to be getting harder the older I get. I would like to control it before it gets out of control.

My main concern is traveling to another country to get this procedure done. It scares me to think of it even in the states. But I know if I continue to gain weight, my body will slowly break down. I already have knee issues and slight arthritis in my hip. I am about 5'7, 232 pounds. Through brief research, I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Illan may be the way to go. Can anyone give me their experience traveling, fear, etc. I would love to hear others journey's! Thanks!!!

Hello VDH,

I suggest you watch our patient testimonials about their experience with Dr. Jalil Illan, Oasis Hospital and BariatricPal Team MX.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/368798-dr-illan-and-bariatricpals-team-mx-patient-testimonials/?page=9#comment-4408438

You can join Alex Brecher on a tour of Oasis Hospital

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/375412-bariatricpal-team-mxs-new-exclusive-strategic-alliance-with-oasis-hospital-in-Tijuana/

Please feel free calling me 619-900-7808 if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be able to give you my input after my surgery in a couple weeks. Like you, I have no other issues. My BMI is 41. With each diet success and failure, it has been more difficult to start over again. I successfully lost 70 lbs several years ago but over the years have gained back about 40 lbs of that. My weight would go up and down about 20 lbs. I need help so I started looking into WLS. Once I made my decision, I found out that my insurance didn't cover it. I know a few people who have had the surgery in MX so started looking into it.

I have chosen Dr. Illan based on his reputation, credentials and recommendation from a friend. Most of my family and friends freaked out but I told them that I am an intelligent person and did my homework. Now they are supportive. My adult sons were upset and told me that I don't need to lose weight. Haha! My dad is having the hardest time with it but that's because he thinks I have some underlying mental trauma that causes me to overeat, not just that I love food and use it for comfort.

If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be having surgery in Tijuana, I would have laughed. Now, here I am, less than two weeks to go before the big day. Good luck in making your decision! I will come back on here and after my surgery and give an update. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I have a higher BMI than you do and have high blood pressure. I was unable to afford surgery here in the states. I recently made the trip to Mexico to have my sleeve surgery performed. My surgeon was dr Luis Cervantes and only have positive things to say. Unlike the United States (from what I hear) you stay in the hospital 2 nights after surgery and are continually hydrated with IV fluids. They also gave me nausea and pain meds via IV. The good news is I never ever had pain. I had a little discomfort at the incision sites but never any pain. My surgery was on feb 15, 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shannybananny71 said:

I will be able to give you my input after my surgery in a couple weeks. Like you, I have no other issues. My BMI is 41. With each diet success and failure, it has been more difficult to start over again. I successfully lost 70 lbs several years ago but over the years have gained back about 40 lbs of that. My weight would go up and down about 20 lbs. I need help so I started looking into WLS. Once I made my decision, I found out that my insurance didn't cover it. I know a few people who have had the surgery in MX so started looking into it.

I have chosen Dr. Illan based on his reputation, credentials and recommendation from a friend. Most of my family and friends freaked out but I told them that I am an intelligent person and did my homework. Now they are supportive. My adult sons were upset and told me that I don't need to lose weight. Haha! My dad is having the hardest time with it but that's because he thinks I have some underlying mental trauma that causes me to overeat, not just that I love food and use it for comfort.

If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be having surgery in Tijuana, I would have laughed. Now, here I am, less than two weeks to go before the big day. Good luck in making your decision! I will come back on here and after my surgery and give an update.

Thank you so much! And you sound so much like me! The hard part for me isn't necessarily losing the weight (after I find the motivation), it's keeping it off. I carry my weight pretty well, but I can see that my weight is getting out of hand. Each year I tell myself, "it's only 5 pounds, or it's only 10 pounds", but those pounds add up to 20 and 30 eventually.

My husband would rather me not do it, but is supportive of whatever I decide. Please let update us when you return from your surgery. Wishing you the best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Illan performed my sleeve on 2/8, I have no complaints. Once I got the gas out of my system I have had no pain whatsoever and my recovery appears on track as I am having no problems achieving my nutrition goals with ease. Oasis Hospital was great, the nursing care was as good as I've ever had in the states. Everyone from Bariatric Pal was great the valets are excellent, if you have a companion with you they will take great care of them.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Illan performed my sleeve on 2/8, I have no complaints. Once I got the gas out of my system I have had no pain whatsoever and my recovery appears on track as I am having no problems achieving my nutrition goals with ease. Oasis Hospital was great, the nursing care was as good as I've ever had in the states. Everyone from Bariatric Pal was great the valets are excellent, if you have a companion with you they will take great care of them.
If you have any specific questions let me know.




You were the day after me. I loved my time in MX and with dr illan and staff. Awesome experience!



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had surgery on 1/13/17 with Dr. Illan, so almost 6 weeks out. It was an amazing experience and no complications. I've lost 24 pounds so far and enjoying food in a different way. I was lucky because I experienced very little pain or gas. It was a breeze. I was at the beach 2 days after being released from the hospital. I followed all the instructions and took the medicine given afterward. Best thing I ever did for myself :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DebSmiles said:

I had surgery on 1/13/17 with Dr. Illan, so almost 6 weeks out. It was an amazing experience and no complications. I've lost 24 pounds so far and enjoying food in a different way. I was lucky because I experienced very little pain or gas. It was a breeze. I was at the beach 2 days after being released from the hospital. I followed all the instructions and took the medicine given afterward. Best thing I ever did for myself :)

Thank you so much for your response! It really helps! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 13 years out and want to remind everyone considering Mexico to do your research FIRST> you will need to go to a bariatric dr for any future concerns as many dr do not understand the bariatric patient and will prescribe medication that will not work for you or understand the special after surgery issues that often arise ( ie gall bladder issues and dental issues as well as bone health in later life.) additionally you will need special blood work done yearly and the regular drs don't know what to test for. I moved to florida and went to the local bariatric clinic and they demanded proof that my original surgery was done in the usa. they would not see me until I got my records from ky so glad it was a routine visit I needed and not an emergency . just check out your local clinic FIRST so make sure they will do your follow up. hopefully you will never need it but just in case you don't want to get medical care refused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my surgery on February 9th in Tijuana with Dr. C@brera and had no problems whatsoever. No nausea, no gas pain, nothing. I was in the hospital for 2 nights, and in a hotel for one night both pre and post-op, where liquids (SF popsicles, broth, etc) are available to you, plus a driver if you want a little tour of the city. It's almost been two weeks and all of my incisions are healed save one (which held the drain - but it's almost healed). I've had good support both pre- and post-op.

Like you, I had no problems other than my high BMI (mine is much higher than yours) but even within a week a week of starting the pre-op diet I started feeling better all around.

Edited by biginjapan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not use dr illan as he was not on the scene when I had my surgery with Bariatric Pal Mexico. However I will say they take the best care of you possible. Far better than in the US. I am sure they have only chosen the best Dr and hospital to represent them. My husband was not keen on the idea either but now he says he should have encouraged me to do this years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great to hear!!! Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Ortiz? ! OCC I believe. His name came up during some of my research and people seemed to have a lot of good comments to say about him.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×