Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquids vs food for protein does it matter?

Ok tomorrow starts my 3rd week post op. I have been told week 3 is purée food, but I met with my surgeon last Friday ( he had me eat an egg before our visit) I scrambled 2 egg whites and was able to eat it all with virtually no Discomfort. He said I can start eating fish, lean lunch meat, chicken, ground beef/turkey he said chew it good( and I might only be able to eat a couple bites) don't drink while eating. That night I had 2oz of baked tilapia ( I stopped myself at 2 oz) again no discomfort and if I have Bone Broth I can sip 16oz in a sitting...are these servings to big? Why am I not having discomfort?

Up until now I have been getting at least 60gms of Protein (mainly through protein water) and one day (5days post op I drank 82oz and that gave me 80 grams of protein) I am scared that I am doing something wrong! Help! Why can I eat and drink without discomfort has anyone else felt this way? I meet with my nutritionist tomorrow, let me know if there is a question I should ask !

I didnt have any problems either ... just be grateful you can drink and eat well.

Stick to weighing foods though and keep to 2-3 oz until your tummy heals more. Also if you had a more dense Protein, you probably wouldn't be able to eat as much.

Why do you feel as if you are doing something wrong?

I didnt have any problems either ... just be grateful you can drink and eat well.
Stick to weighing foods though and keep to 2-3 oz until your tummy heals more. Also if you had a more dense Protein, you probably wouldn't be able to eat as much.
Why do you feel as if you are doing something wrong?

I guess because everyone keeps saying they can only take a couple bites and they are full or they can't drink all their fluids, and I'm not having that issue
Also read my diet plan it says purée food this week and I am eating fish again no problem
Also worried that I'm not having a problem does that mean I'm not gonna have that built in "stop switch"

The sleve is just a tool. You need to learn to control it not let it control you. It's tough at times but its easier and easier, day by day. You need to stay strong and just stick to measuring/weighing the food until you are in maintenance . I still eat 6 meals a day, because that's what works for me. YOU need to be your own stop watch.

For the first year of being here I felt a bit of a fake. I had no ongoing issues and eveything went smoothly until maintenance. Now I am having to work hard at this.

Congrats on the surgery !! :D

Ok tomorrow starts my 3rd week post op. I have been told week 3 is purée food, but I met with my surgeon last Friday ( he had me eat an egg before our visit) I scrambled 2 egg whites and was able to eat it all with virtually no Discomfort. He said I can start eating fish, lean lunch meat, chicken, ground beef/turkey he said chew it good( and I might only be able to eat a couple bites) don't drink while eating. That night I had 2oz of baked tilapia ( I stopped myself at 2 oz) again no discomfort and if I have bone broth I can sip 16oz in a sitting...are these servings to big? Why am I not having discomfort?
Up until now I have been getting at least 60gms of Protein (mainly through Protein water) and one day (5days post op I drank 82oz and that gave me 80 grams of protein) I am scared that I am doing something wrong! Help! Why can I eat and drink without discomfort has anyone else felt this way? I meet with my nutritionist tomorrow, let me know if there is a question I should ask !

Be thankful. I am almost 4 wks out and can't take over 3 bites. Still can't get my fluids and all my daily Vitamins in.

Thank you Kate! I am measuring and weighing and I am making myself stop too I plan on putting up roadblocks when it comes food just figured I would feel the stop signs with my new stomach. Thanks for your help [emoji3]

Be thankful. I am almost 4 wks out and can't take over 3 bites. Still can't get my fluids and all my daily Vitamins in.

I know that's what I keep hearing from others that they can't get but a few bites in... that's what is scaring me... since I don't have that stop like you have I'll have to be extra careful to do everything right

Yes, liquids, purees and soft solids will be different than a denser Protein like chicken or steak. liquids really pass right through, so don't be concerned about being able to tolerate water/shakes - in fact, you should be thrilled! Istill struggle with Water intake. Once you move towards denser foods you will really feel the restriction. In the meantime, as others have said, dilligently measure and track everything. You can get a food scale for 10 bucks.

I never had the puree stage I just took chicken, shredded it and put.it.in broth. I weigh my food carefully and stop, even if I don't feel full (which I definitely do when​ it comes to the denser chicken and beef. Fish, I haven't really had to much of because I definitely felt hungry after I ate it. I think I'll try salmon.

Sounds.ds like you're doing great!

Don't forget, your stomach might still be numb. It won't finish healing until 8-9 weeks out.

Just keep doing what you have been. Weigh, measure, puree, and chew. You are golden!

Kaiser doesn't do a puree stage either. I'm two weeks post-op tomorrow. I start soft foods Friday. You should establish the habit of weighing or measuring your food now. It's as important as brushing your teeth. Do it cause it's got to be done. Friday I start eating 1/4 cup per meal with one snack. I'm only required to get 40 grams of protien for this stage.