Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did people treat you differently after surgery?

While watching a youtube video, the user mentioned that people treated her differently after losing weight. People were nicer and she got a promotion even though she didn't change her work habits.

So, my question is have you been treated differently once you lost weight?

If so, how so?

Also, has your dating life changed? Granted you weren't married prior to surgery.

If you were married has losing weight had an effect on your married.

To me you dont get as much negative attention. To numerous ignorant folks out there you must not mind being larger than most ppl out there and tend to get treated as such. I get looks and noticed due to increased confidence and belief in me overall. Cant tell you much on dating since not really a fan. More into the relationship itself than dating per se. I will be getting into it more soon. As a guy you will get noticed more but not usually as much as women that lose alot.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I noticed it a lot more several years ago, when I got down from 335 to 290, and it led to some serious body dysmorphia. I was flying a lot for work at the time and my seat mates were no longer fighting over who had to sit next to me, which was jarring, and not in a good way.

I cant say I’ve noticed it this time around. People I know don’t treat me any differently, and strangers treat me about the same. Yesterday I did notice that someone sat next to me on the bus, and it wasn’t the last seat on the bus, and she didn’t have to sit with one butt cheek I’m her seat. That just felt...nice.

And while the poor treatment of women because of their body size is far worse than men, I have heard both men and women report that people are nicer to them after substantial weight loss.

I had lost close to 100 lbs over 15 years ago and noticed it then as well as now - People treat me VERY differently. It doesn't have much to do with confidence (I was very confident before surgery too). I just notice that people look at me and make eye contact (it feels weird at first). People hold doors and make conversation now, which hadn't happened when I was heavy at all. In fact most times I go out now I've found out that nice ladies make conversation (never men for some reason)... I'm not used to it at all and have to improve my small talk! It's a terrible thing about our society, but there is definitely a difference in how heavy people are treated.

I'm married, but if I were single meeting someone would have gotten WAY easier in my opinion. For my marriage it hasn't changed a huge amount, though my wife likes the new thinner me. I'm about at the weight I was when we met over 10 years ago now, so that's nice. She's also gone through some weight loss so we're both very focused on it, which is good.

On 19/02/2017 at 6:41 PM, aking15 said:

While watching a youtube video, the user mentioned that people treated her differently after losing weight. People were nicer and she got a promotion even though she didn't change her work habits.

So, my question is have you been treated differently once you lost weight?

If so, how so?

Also, has your dating life changed? Granted you weren't married prior to surgery.

If you were married has losing weight had an effect on your married.

Yes. I am still over weight. 250 pre op 244 surgery day now in 160s everyone wants to make me happy, when i go out you get soo much attention free drinks free stuff, you get told how nice you are when you are no nicer than you were lol but i have been told they expected me to be abit stuck up so when i was a little bit nice suddenly its like omg how nice is she when i was more obese no one expects nothing more nothing less. dating more options. lots of attention from people who would not have been into me , i have been on more dates, but im open minded and enjoying being free for now, it is a whole new world for me, i am enjoying it. im 30lbs ish from normal weight imagine what it will be like then lol all this its about the inside does not work in the real world with strangers, i stil have my same friends, its strangers that are different

7 hours ago, Losebig said:

I had lost close to 100 lbs over 15 years ago and noticed it then as well as now - People treat me VERY differently. It doesn't have much to do with confidence (I was very confident before surgery too). I just notice that people look at me and make eye contact (it feels weird at first). People hold doors and make conversation now, which hadn't happened when I was heavy at all. In fact most times I go out now I've found out that nice ladies make conversation (never men for some reason)... I'm not used to it at all and have to improve my small talk! It's a terrible thing about our society, but there is definitely a difference in how heavy people are treated.

I'm married, but if I were single meeting someone would have gotten WAY easier in my opinion. For my marriage it hasn't changed a huge amount, though my wife likes the new thinner me. I'm about at the weight I was when we met over 10 years ago now, so that's nice. She's also gone through some weight loss so we're both very focused on it, which is good.

its easier in the sense of more choice but harder with more choice, overwhelming you just want to be left alone lol even when someone is just wanting to get to know you, many times ive been on dates recently and people are hitting on me infront of my date , or sending over champagne when my date is sat there, or people walking up to us to talk to me and my date is getting ovwhelmed by the attention its awkward. it was easier when i went on dates morbidly obese lol then again they put extra effort in and some times they like that other people want me but im not a prize/object either lol