Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh no sure don't! Well I had the sleeve done on Friday 12/09/16. But after getting to my hospital room I could never hold down any liquids...I would have 15ml and 15ml would come right back up! It took them 3 days to diagnose that my stomach had twisted....closed! So I had 2 more surgeries and had a stent put in on 12/14 to untwist and open up my stomach. I spent 6 nights in the hospital!! I had surgery again this week on Feb 14th to remove the stent and hallelujah my stomach remained open!! But boy I have been through it. Around Feb 1st the stent wanted to come out so I had a constant bad stomach ache 24/7 and dry heaving 5 to 6 times a day! But all that stopped the moment the stent came out! I have lost 70 lbs during this journey so far!!! I worry for those going out of the country to have surgery as I wonder if they had this same complication and needed to have multiple surgeries and a week hospitalized what would they do? How would someone pay for that let's say in Mexico? It was so scary for me and I was in California with insurance that was paying 100% of these bills!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow sorry to hear that glad your feeling better I also fill bad for those people because a regular ER I wouldn't trust when it come down to wls and what do you mean when you say your stomach twisted how did that happen

Wow sorry to hear that glad your feeling better I also fill bad for those people because a regular ER I wouldn't trust when it come down to wls and what do you mean when you say your stomach twisted how did that happen

Right? ER is scary here lol. They do not know why it happens. The stomach basically flips and looks like candy cane I am told and nothing can get down. When I was trying to drink the Water would fill up my esophagus because the hole to my stomach was blocked with the twist. There is nothing within any of us that would tell us or the doctor that we could have this complication....it is just nature! So glad I have come out the other side fine but others should be prepared just in case....could also be a huge financial burden you know? Four surgeries and a $170k hospital bill for staying 6 nights! Sooo glad my insurance paid 100%!

Right? ER is scary here lol. They do not know why it happens. The stomach basically flips and looks like candy cane I am told and nothing can get down. When I was trying to drink the Water would fill up my esophagus because the hole to my stomach was blocked with the twist. There is nothing within any of us that would tell us or the doctor that we could have this complication....it is just nature! So glad I have come out the other side fine but others should be prepared just in case....could also be a huge financial burden you know? Four surgeries and a $170k hospital bill for staying 6 nights! Sooo glad my insurance paid 100%!

Thanks for the heads up what state are you in

Thanks for the heads up what state are you in

Sure! I live in Sacramento California..you? When is your surgery?

I'm in Georgia and its March 27 [emoji57]

Great!! I bet you are excited! Feel free to direct message me if you want to talk offline..am happy to be a part of your support network! Glad to meet friends who are on the same journey! My coroorate office is in Alpharetta and one in ATL but I work from home in Cali =)

Great!! I bet you are excited! Feel free to direct message me if you want to talk offline..am happy to be a part of your support network! Glad to meet friends who are on the same journey! My coroorate office is in Alpharetta and one in ATL but I work from home in Cali =)

Okay cool I'll be sure to do that Gnight going to bed now have a good night [emoji2]

Okay cool I'll be sure to do that Gnight going to bed now have a good night [emoji2]

Good night sleep well!! =)

I had surgery on Dec 19 2016. After surgery I had a drain, it was only in until the day of discharge. If you wake up with one don't freak out. It doesn't hurt, I honestly didn't feel no pain with it even when I was walking around/sleeping. There was only one time that it had little pressure around the site of the drain and that's when I was moving around in the uncomfortable hospital bed lol! Then when the surgeons PA pulled it out the day of discharge it just.. didn't hurt... wasn't any pressure..... just felt very awkward (because it's moving threw your stomach). But it was out so fast, only took a second or two. Hope all goes well with your surgery! Don't forget to get out of bed ASAP after surgery (helps with gas, and nausea) and when you can finally get your Water (I didn't get any until the next night after surgery) make sure you SIP, SIP, SIP.

The drain is more for the bypass surgery and not the sleeve. The bypass has a lit more going in inside. Very few sleevers will need a drain tube and I did not wake up with one!! Good luck!

It honestly just depends on the surgeon (he puts them in every patient to monitor leaks), after all I Learned about the drain tube I was very happy they put one in after my sleeve surgery. It's another way to help with infections and also it helps to see if there is any leaks after surgery due to the color what comes out into the ball.

I was sleeved on February 13 and I woke up with a drain. My doctor put one in because one of the staple layers misfired and he had to sew that part of my stomach closed. It was a precaution to make sure I had no leaks. So there are multiple reasons one could end up with a drain.

I had surgery on Dec 19 2016. After surgery I had a drain, it was only in until the day of discharge. If you wake up with one don't freak out. It doesn't hurt, I honestly didn't feel no pain with it even when I was walking around/sleeping. There was only one time that it had little pressure around the site of the drain and that's when I was moving around in the uncomfortable hospital bed lol! Then when the surgeons PA pulled it out the day of discharge it just.. didn't hurt... wasn't any pressure..... just felt very awkward (because it's moving threw your stomach). But it was out so fast, only took a second or two. Hope all goes well with your surgery! Don't forget to get out of bed ASAP after surgery (helps with gas, and nausea) and when you can finally get your Water (I didn't get any until the next night after surgery) make sure you SIP, SIP, SIP.

Thanks [emoji16]

I was sleeved on February 13 and I woke up with a drain. My doctor put one in because one of the staple layers misfired and he had to sew that part of my stomach closed. It was a precaution to make sure I had no leaks. So there are multiple reasons one could end up with a drain.

Thanks [emoji16]

I had a drain only as a precaution to make sure my strapless weren't leaking. After I passed the swallow test, they had me to drink blue koolaide and watched my drain bag to make sure they didn't see the blue mixing with the red

I had a Jackson-Pratt drain and wasn't expecting it until the surgeon referred to it right before the surgery. It stayed in until my first appointment 10 days post-op. It was weird and kind of yucky to take care of, but I didn't have any problems with it. Just look online for videos on how to care for it. I figured a way to hold it up while I was taking a shower by tying it to a ribbon and looping that around my neck.

There were four people who had sleeve surgeries the same day as me and the only other person with a drain had a lap-band conversion, like me. So perhaps it has something to do with that? Her colleague did that follow-up visit and I forgot to even ask. It did take quite a while (3 weeks?) for the drain hole to finally close up so I had to bandage it for a while.

The surgeon used a Tegaderm dressing film on it starting day two and she gave me a few to take home, but I found that I needed to buy more. Wish I'd known that because I only found one pharmacy that had them and I wasn't really up for that hunt. If you know you'll have a drain, you might want to talk to your surgeon to see if you should buy them online beforehand. And get the large ones!