Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discussing Post-Op worries relayed to the patient by patient's parents

Hello All,

I have the date for my gastric bypass surgery on March 22, 2017. Still waiting though to hear from insurance, but that's why it was a good idea that the pre-approval documents were sent out in advance. Anyways, my parents are bugging me about the fact that they think I should go for the Gastric Sleeve instead of the Gastric Bypass. They tell me nothing new out of what I read, and I've read a lot.........a hell lot of material, kinda like reading War and Peace, but on Bariatric Surgery. I am fully aware of the complications from the Gastric Sleeve vs. the Gastric Bypass. However there is one reason I am interested in the Gastric Bypass OVER the Gastric Sleeve. A lot of doctors don't like to mention this that often, BUT, THERE IS A CONTINGENCY PLAN with Gastric Bypass. God forbid something goes wrong, it CAN be reversed completely. Yes, it is a very complex revision procedure, especially due to the Gastrointestinal Tract, but it CAN BE DONE! However the Gastric Sleeve cannot be reversed like the Gastric Bypass can. The only thing a bariatric revision doctor can do with the Gastric Sleeve is revise it to the Bypass or something else, but still the portion of the stomach that you lost from the sleeve is gone forever. At least with the Gastric Bypass, the portion of the stomach not used doesn't atrophy. And also, I really am opposed to the idea of 80% of an organ being completely removed from the body. However, if I had to, I would do the Sleeve.

Next, I would like to discuss some of the negative side effects from Gastric Bypass. I understand sometimes people vomit, like in any of the Bariatric Procedures, not just Bypass, BUT I cannot stand to hear that there are some people who vomit every single day. I completely understand as a post-op bariatric patient that vomiting is different from the average "Joe" who vomits because after Bariatric Surgery, there is no vomiting of the acid juices, which usually makes it painful in a normal person, and makes it harmful for that person's teeth. However, I hate to hear one person tell me that even if you follow the nutritional guidelines to a tee, you are still going to vomit everyday. THAT CAN'T BE NORMAL. In fact I find that aspect offensive. It's like asking then what the hell was the point of the surgery to begin with? Therefore, disregarding ALL food items that cause the dumping syndrome, I would like to think that I can, after month 3 or month 4, eventually eat fish, and chicken, and occasionally "once in a blue moon" red meat. But sometimes when I hear a person's disgusting problems with food, I'd like to think that there is some sort of NUTRIONAL RULE or EATING BEHAVIOR that he or she is not following.

Last but not least, before going into this Gastric Bypass procedure, I am currently 29 years old, 5 foot 7 inches, 364 pounds, and my only health issues going into this are Obstructive sleep Apnea, ADHD, and Major Depressive Disorder (IN FULL REMISSION), with a very healthy Hemoglobin A1C of 5.3. Please note, I have never ever been in the pre-diabetes stage with my Hemoglobin A1C. However, despite a full understanding of how much my parents love me, they are harassing me about my decision to go with the Bypass and would rather I go for the Sleeve. They are also doing this, because Post-Op Recovery-wise, they are my support system until I get better on my own. Both my parents work full time. My father is an insurance attorney and my mother is a pediatrician, and I completely understand that one of them is going to have to sign that Family Medical Leave Act form. Despite all that, I don't think they should be the ones to persuade me to change my mind over a procedure. That opinion should only come from my surgeon. Right? It's my body.

Thanks,

Gabriel

I agree that vomiting every day is not a normal, expected consequence of the surgery. It is either due to a complication or behavioral. (A little at first should be expected though).

The idea of reversing a bypass really shouldn't play a large roll in the decision. Reversals almost never happen.

Ultimately, it is your body, your decision. Do make sure your decision is FOR YOU, rather than AGAINST THEM.

I know when I met with my surgeon I told him which procedure I was interested in and why and then he confirmed whether he felt that was a good choice for me. I would tell your parents that you've reviewed the options that are available and between you and your surgeon there was a mutual agreement that this is the best choice for you.

When I first met with the surgeon I was a good candidate for all of the procedures, however in regards to the Gastric Bypass, there wasn't 100% of a mutual agreement. More like 95%. The reason being is that I take SSRI's (immediate release meds) for Depression, so that doctor told me that he was afraid that there wouldn't be much absorption needed for that medication, and he said the last thing he wanted for me was to go into some sort of remission. However, I told him before I made my final decision, I would get back to him on that after I met with my Psychiatrist. I was very happy to find out from my Psychiatrist that if adjustments need to be made then that can happen and not to worry about that aspect.

Unless they have to open you up to do the bypass your recovery for it shouldn't be much different than it would be for the sleeve.. Also I've noticed quite a few people end up having a revision from sleeve to bypass.. So that might be something you can bring up to your parents.. And yes.. The decision should be made between you and your doctor.. Good luck with your surgery! :)

I initially was completely pro sleeve, but I am considering bypass due to potential GERD.

I had a gastric bypass in June. The only time I have vomited was when I tried to eat scrambled eggs a few months out. I might be able to eat them now but the memory stops me. Other than that I seem to be able to eat anything. I would think vomiting frequently is very abnormal but of course check with your Dr/Dietician.

I went back and forth on which surgery to do but ultimately made up my mind to do the bypass because, for ME, there is more long term data with the bypass whereas the sleeve is fairly new with regards to data. That meant a lot to me.

Why do your parents feel so strongly that you should do the sleeve?

I initially was completely pro sleeve, but I am considering bypass due to potential GERD.

Same exact spot. Totally gung ho on the sleeve. Now I'm reading about reflux, etc and wondering if I should reconsider. I'm told my reflux is likely due to my weight but who knows?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Same exact spot. Totally gung ho on the sleeve. Now I'm reading about reflux, etc and wondering if I should reconsider. I'm told my reflux is likely due to my weight but who knows?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

If you already have reflux, please do strongly consider the bypass.

I don't have reflux now, so am just concerned about developing it.

Something I came across... about 50-70 percent of bariatric patients have reflux going into surgery. If sleeves outnumber bypasses, then there are a lot of patients potentially getting the wrong procedure done (with respect to this one issue).

Might explain the number of revisions we are hearing about.

But, the bypass is more invasive, with more other types of complications. It makes for a hard choice!