Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you get over your addiction?

I'm still pre op, but i have a post op question for sleevers, or bypassers. How did you mentally deal with being sleeved or bypassed and get over your food addiction? Mentally for me the one thing holding me back is the thought of not being able to eat large amounts of my favorite foods. I am a mental eater and do eat when Im not even hungry so its obvious Im addicted food. I really do not want to get this operation and wind up back in the same spot a few years from now having ate myself back to where I am.

How did you deal with your food addiction? I know the sleeve is only a tool and will only restrict me from eating large amounts of food at one sitting, and will not cure my brain which has skewed portion sizes for 40 years.

I spent the six months before my surgery changing my relationship with food. I trained myself to look at food as fuel. I also worked really hard to create a lifestyle where food wasn't central to everything. I no longer Celebrate with food, comfort with food, or do anything else with food outside of getting the necessary fuel I need for the day. Cutting out carbs (20 per day) was central to that for me. I also cut out alcohol for 9 months, and even now (at 4+ months post-op), I only have some occasionally and in very small amounts.

You are right. The mental game is the biggest part of this journey. I know that I have issues with food, and I also know that I will have to battle it every day for the rest of my life. Some people won't agree with the stance I have taken, and that's okay. I know that if I don't take this hard line, I'll be 400 pounds again before I know it, sleeve or not.

Good luck!

Im guessing there is a small amount of regret post op?

I'm sure it is different for everyone, but for me, I wouldn't call it regret. This is hard. So, so hard. So part of me thinks, yeah, it would be easier and more fun if I could just eat and drink whatever I want right now. But, I've done that and it led to me being fat and being fat meant I was tired all the time. And nothing was ever enough, so I was hungry all the time, too. At least now I'm only hungry, but I have a lot more energy even though I'm only 10 days out and 10 pounds lighter.

So, yeah, this part is hard, and hard stuff sucks, but I'm so excited for my future that it feels worth it.

I think you'll know when you are ready to have surgery and not regret it. You might have to do some more work around your food addiction before you are ready to commit!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I'm an emotional eater and a boredom eater. I'm over 5 months post op and wouldn't change my experience for anything. The sleeve forces you to make better choices about food. Your bodies priorities come into a much sharper focus than the mental needs because the body will shut you down with a physical purge. Sorry to be graphic but I hate puking more than just about anything, so if I know it's gonna make me sick to eat that fried chicken, or have just one more bite of something, I just simply don't do it. It's on you to make better healthier eating choices but the sleeve does its work, it warns you when enough is enough and you move on. I am learning that the not so healthy foods I love aren't 100% off limits. It's ok to have a bite but don't over indulge, and make sure you are getting your Protein and liquids in each day and you won't want for much else. The only regret I have about this surgery is that I didn't do it 10 years ago. Lots of luck to you!

For me this is totally about adiction to food/eating. I'm in therapy now and before surgery. I'm an emotional eater. It was my entertainment, companion, soother, reward. You name it food took everything's place. I've done this since I was a little girl. Now at 54 changing thought patterns about food and eating is a challenge but one am willing to take on for the rest of my life. I want to be healthy and mobile! Morbid obesity and these 2 states of being do not go together. Something had to go and I choose to let go of the food/eating thing. Is this going to be the most difficult thing I've ever done? ABSOLUTELY!

​Will it continue to be at issue for the rest of my life. Most likely YES! I say BRING IT ON! I am worth the fight and struggle to remain healthy and mobile! Good luck and best wishes to all!

Im also eat out of habit, like after dinner I want my cup of coffee and something sweet. I know the proper foods to eat, but just eat too much of them then add in the indulgence with some sweets pushes me way over the edge.

@@JerseyJules

Have you already had WLS? It states your surgery date is Jan 2015.

Are you thinking of having a revision?

Kate

16 hours ago, _Kate_ said:

@@JerseyJules

Have you already had WLS? It states your surgery date is Jan 2015.

Are you thinking of having a revision?

Kate

No, I backed out in 2015 last minute.I tried on my own for the past 2 years to lose weight and am still right where I started. After some soul searching and descision making, Im on the chopping block for Feb 27th 2017. I had to know I was ready and this was my only option.

2 minutes ago, JerseyJules said:

No, I backed out in 2015 last minute.I tried on my own for the past 2 years to lose weight and am still right where I started. After some soul searching and descision making, Im on the chopping block for Feb 27th 2017. I had to know I was ready and this was my only option.

Only 3 weeks away! hurrahhh

yup...And it wont let me edit that part of my profile for some reason.

You may cheat and try to eat more than you are supposed to or what you are not supposed to but after you purge a couple of time you will stop that. Purging is not fun at all. Good luck to you and see you on the Loser's Bench very soon.

1 hour ago, Redmaxx said:

You may cheat and try to eat more than you are supposed to or what you are not supposed to but after you purge a couple of time you will stop that. Purging is not fun at all. Good luck to you and see you on the Loser's Bench very soon.

So its kind of like a good old fashioned smack with the wooden spoon as a deterrent?

"Purging" does not sound attractive in the least bit...But then again neither is 300+lbs for my bones and joints..

I'm not addicted to food per say, but just being told "no" makes me mad. If I want pizza, I will have pizza; however, I make it fit into my calories. Last night I used a 4g carb tortilla with low-carb sauce and 2 oz of shredded cheese (not packaged as shredded since it has more carbs than the blocks). I took 3 bites before I was done with the bread and just ate the toppings.

Denying myself what I want is how I started secretly binging. Now, there are some things I will not give in to, like pop or sweets.

In the end, it's up to me to take responsibility for what I eat and to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need while also making sure I don't feel too restrictive. I am able to eat these things because I do not allow myself to graze, thus freeing up calories. It's all a balancing act.