Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am trying to quit smoking after 12 years. My surgeon requires you to quit a minimum of 6 weeks prior to surgery. His nurse suggested I speak with my PCP about prescription aids. So far, from what I've read, chantix seems to have a higher success rate than Patches, gum ect....

Have you taken chantix? If so, what were the side effects you experienced? How long did you take chantix? Did it work for you? If so, how long have you been a non smoker?

Even if you haven't tried chantix I would love to hear any and all tips on how you kicked the habit.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just quit threw them in the garbage. With all soda and candy. I stopped those then did caffeine, snack food, and sugars.

I started the preop diet yesterday so I hope stopping some of the things first this would be easier.

Hi, smoked for 15 years, when I decided to stop, I just threw the remaining smokes in the bin, never had another one, never been tempted

Someone I know used the Patches, worked well for her

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I tried Chantix and i was fine at first, but when i took the full dose i got super nauseous. I also would

take it before eating anything, so that probably had something to do with it. So just have been using my vape with 0 nicotine. Yeah, it sucks!!!! Smoking was the 1 thing i enjoyed doing, it was my vice. Its just mind over matter. I quit January 1st, but had a few slip ups in the cirst couple weeks, but am now 2 weeks smoke free. Ive noticed im not even using my vape as much cuz it just doesnt give the same kick as the nicotine does. I dont have a date yet, but go for my last of 6 appts on March 6th. My surgeon requires 2 months before surgery to be smoke free. I honestly just want the surgery more than the cigarettes at this point. I think about smoking every day and every day is a challenge not to smoke, but im doing it and you can too!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I tried Chantix and i was fine at first, but when i took the full dose i got super nauseous. I also would

take it before eating anything, so that probably had something to do with it. So just have been using my vape with 0 nicotine. Yeah, it sucks!!!! Smoking was the 1 thing i enjoyed doing, it was my vice. Its just mind over matter. I quit January 1st, but had a few slip ups in the cirst couple weeks, but am now 2 weeks smoke free. Ive noticed im not even using my vape as much cuz it just doesnt give the same kick as the nicotine does. I dont have a date yet, but go for my last of 6 appts on March 6th. My surgeon requires 2 months before surgery to be smoke free. I honestly just want the surgery more than the cigarettes at this point. I think about smoking every day and every day is a challenge not to smoke, but im doing it and you can too!!

Also, Ive smoked a pack a day for about 25 years

I quit December 7th 2016 on Chantix. I'm 34 years old I've smoked since I was 15 years. My husband quit on Chantix with me he quit on December 31st. I Vape 0 nicotine when I have a drink here and there but outside of that I have no cravings even when I get stressed out. Good luck and always think positive you will make it

Sent from my LGMS550 using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon said they would not even do an evaluation without being smoke free for 6 weeks and take drug/ nicotine test so after ten years of smoking I smoked my last one on a Sunday night before bed, haven't picked one up in a week. When I get a craving I come on here and look at posts and really want to change my life, so I don't smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started Chantix at the beginning of January and this week will be 6 weeks smoke free. Only side effect I had was slight nausea if I didn't eat first. I took Chantix for a couple weeks after I quit too just for the cravings and it worked great!

My mom smoked for 46 years. She tried to stop lots of times. 7 years ago she did Chantix and hasn't smoked since.