Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attack of the Killer PB

Have you noticed that there are many different types of pb. My fav. is where it just comes out after some momentum, it does all the work itself. You get some time to excuse yourself from company, and no one is the wiser. To me its the most lady like of all the pbs. The one I absolutely hate is the one where you feel like you are getting stabbed in the chest while simutaniously having a heart attack. The pb is all hard work and often nothing but slime comes up for all your efforts. This is where I usually start praying/ swearing.

The other day in Subways I felt a pb coming on. There were no toilets. I never took my eyes off my kids drink the whole time. Lucky for them it passed.

ROTFLMAO, Curley - YOU ARE CRACKING ME UP!!!!!

For those that are not sure what a PB (productive burp) is.....

(this is not a professional opinion, just an experienced one :()

Sometimes when we eat too much, too often, wrong food at the wrong time, or just at the wrong time (in the mornings for most of us), we can actually feel the food getting stuck in the stoma - the opening into the larger part of our stomach. This is what is happening when we refer to the pain in our chest or back area or the choking feeling. And, if for some reason we are not able to pass this, we get the urge to bring the food back up. Now this is where people get confused.

This is NOT vomiting. The food that was bothering us never made it to the stomach, so there is no stomach acid involved. Basically, its just chewed food. To make people feel better about this, I usually tell them that its just like chewing your food and spitting it out - like most of us have done to avoid calories :).

And for me, when I get this urge to burp, it actually produces the food that was causing the problem. Thus the term, Productive Burp came about.

Let me add that some bandsters do this, some do NOT, some do this VERY seldom, and some do it often.

I think it depends on each persons digestive system.

Sorry Lisa for stealing your thread. I thought this would be helpful for the new ones! Now that Ive written this big long post, I was just thinking that there is probably a site that gives a much better explaination on what a PB is.

Can I add that there is some acid as opposed to none. Hopefully very little. One bandster from another board had problems with her teeth due to the acid in PBing, so keep that in mind if you are over doing it!

But you are right that its not full on acid type vomit like when you are ill.

thank u for the bump, i had already read it and have to agee with you that this is the best pbing info i have found. what i gather from this is that it is just different for everyone. I will just have to wait and see if it happens to me. it sounds like some people can make it to a bathroom and be discreet and sometimes you just can't. It sounds like trial and error in learning what will bring it on and maybe just a bandsters right of passage. Can any one tell me if this ever compleatly goes away while you are filled or if it even goes away after you have your liquid removed

Guest demps

I've read through alot of posts about PBing and I've got a handle on that. What I'm wondering about is actual vomiting. What happens if a person with a Lapband catches the flu? Does vomiting in the tradional manner cause a danger to the patient?

Thanks in advance!

okay, how weird am I? The pictures of Lisa open wound in her tummy didn't phase me, but this thread has me very queasy... AAAARRRR!

This makes me very nervous about getting the band. My DH seems to BP lots, probably a few times a week, is this a high rate?

***Queezzzzyyyyyy***

Just the thought of throwing up makes me want to, well, throw up. I'm a sympathetic barfer...

You really need to have a filled prescription for phenergan suppositories on hand before you're banded. These will help w/any real vomiting like from a virus or the flu.

Paula, mi post es su post. I'm glad to see this one back, hi everyone!

Avoid vomitting at all costs. Excessive vomitting can cause the Band to slip. I asked my surgeon, "but what if I get the stomach flu?" He said occasional vomitting shouldn't hurt, but any type of long term, or really violent vomitting needs to be avoided. If you get the stomach flu or have a bad vomitting spell, it's best to get your Band checked to be on the safe side. Slippage isn't fatal, but if your Band slips, you'll need surgery to have it repaired.

I agree the Phenegren helped me I just had 1 episode after I was home from the hospital. When we went in for our overview of all the banding information he had our presciptions for Phenegren, Pain Med & our Band Id's written out for us and ready in our books. Nice to have on hand just in case

I'm allergic to phenergen, so when 'the bug' hit me (just 10 days after banding), I ended up hospitalized. We had contacted Drs. Ortiz and Martinez at the onset of the vomiting, and they remained in close communication with the hospital throughout my stay. (Local doctors faxed a diagram and later emailed the x-rays to Mexico, so that they could be sure everything was still in place.) I received some i.v. meds to relax and calm me, but all of the doctors worked closely together, sharing information on how I was doing, watching and waiting for the return to normal. I was very pleased with the follow-up care by Drs. Ortiz and Martinez.

These posts are so funny (LOL)!! I guess that's partially because I haven't had a fill yet. My first one is scheduled for 2-15 then I will be able to relate. However, this girl is not looking forward to pb-ing.

Shaz, I used to think there was something wrong with my Band cuz I never PB'd. Then one day it hit hard. It's a very painful and frightening experience, so after your fill, make sure to eat slow and don't swallow big chunks!

I didn't have my first slime until after my first fill. I get about 1 every other day now, just when I've started to think the band's not working very well. It really sucks when you're in a restaurant, I've had to haul tail to the restroom twice now. It just keeps sliming until the culprit that caused the slime comes back. Usually in my case it's because I've not chewed well enough or something just didn't settle. Once it was coleslaw and today it was just the "last bite", one bite too many, not knowing when to stop.