Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological evaluation

I was nervous too, and I just had mine on 1/26. What everyone else who answered said is true. I got asked a lot of questions about why I wanted the surgery, and what my expectations are of the surgery. I was given a couple of quizzes before, and we went over the answers. A lot of the questions were getting at my relationship with food. The psychologist then did a basic mental health screening. I'm in the field so I knew to expect that. I also have depression & that wasn't an issue. Good luck!

HEIGHT 5'9.5" HW 305; Started with first surgery, dietician visit 10/21/16

In maine where I live in had a 600 true or false questionnaire... then met with the phycolgist and spoke with him about my answers to an additional thing I had to do. They also go over eating habbits...I was 1 point below the severe depression scale they go by. So thankfully I was already seeing a counselor so she could vouch for me when it came.time to submit my paperwork to insurance company that I have improved much better ect..... still waiting for the approval or denial!

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I worried about the psych eval but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I found the questions to be more about drugs and alcohol and how do we cope with things. I've never had a drug or alcohol problem. Tell the truth. They will find a way to ask the same question multiple times and in multiple ways. That was my experience. I don't know if all tests are the same.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I think all programs are different I literally spent 5 minutes with the psychologist (spent more time filling out insurance and general information forms in the waiting room!) He asked my height, my weight, what surgery I was having , my medical history, family medical history, if I had any previous psychological issues, if I have bouts of violence/ rage, if I had mood swings, if I've ever thought of or attempted suicide, if I had ever been physically or sexually abused, and if anyone in my immediate family had ever been diagnosed with a psychological disorder. most answers were a no I have no major medical issues other than joint pain, I was honest in I told him I do have mood swings (who doesn't) but no violence,and that yes I had previously thought of suicide, but never attempted and that my mother had depression and schizophrenia that was caused by a traumatic injury to her head and years of excruciating pain! And then he said "due to the medical history of HTN,CAD, diabetes in your family I will recommend the surgery and send my report to your doc by the end of this week.".And I said "That's it" and he said there would be more of a discussion if I had been previously diagnosed with a mental issue or had attempted suicide. He didn't ask me anything about my surgery, except which one I was have, and didn't ask about my expectations or understanding of it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by watchpennichange

I have my evaluation on Friday 2/3/17 at 11am! Can anyone tell me what kind of questions I can expect? I do suffer from depression and I am on meds. I function in life just fine. I usually have a good cry and I'm good. Guess I'm worried they will tell me I'm not mentally fit for surgery.

Are you currently in counseling. I would suggest that you place your self in it if you are not now bc it will definitely address any issues with food. When I did the psych she waspleased that I was in counseling to address whatever stuff that I didn't when i was a child. The psych gave me a list of questions and I was approved. She spoke to me about why I wanted tohave the DS loop and i passed it.

My suggestion is to place yourself in therapy even if the psych didn't recommend it bc it is an adjustment to deal with the new you and trust me it will trigger stuff within you. I can onlyspeak for myself. I am three years post op in Dec i can say that I have a different relationship with food. I also had to switch therapists bc i needed a therapistthat was trained in dbt therapy (dbtselfhelp.com). This helped me tremendously. All the best with you.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I have bipolar disorder and the shrink told me they are looking for people with unreasonable expectations, and having a problem such as depression will not disqualify you.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I have mine on the 13th. The lady sent me a questionnaire to fill out beforehand which I suspect we'll be going over.

Here are some screen shots. Don't know how to add a link from the phone app.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485904944.906943.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485904963.660590.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485904977.660923.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485904988.945608.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485904999.282900.jpg

See i did not have to do all this i walked in and talked to her about 20 mins she asked me about my life that was it

Sent from my LGMS428 using the BariatricPal App

Not everyone will have the same; I just posted these as a general reference; doesn't hurt to look them over anyway. Good stuff to think about.

These are exactly the questions I had at my evaluation and I did fine. I am an emotional eater and have depression and on meds as well. I had my surgery on 10/24/16

Sent from my SM-N920R6 using the BariatricPal App

I have my evaluation on Friday 2/3/17 at 11am! Can anyone tell me what kind of questions I can expect? I do suffer from depression and I am on meds. I function in life just fine. I usually have a good cry and I'm good. Guess I'm worried they will tell me I'm not mentally fit for surgery.

I heard that everyone passes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I wouldn't worry too much about this eval. They will ask you eating habits and stuff.

Let me be completely Frank for a moment. If you want to go into the evaluation with crib notes or pointers, then maybe you aren't ready for weight loss surgery. Having this surgery is just a tool to help you move in the right direction. You have to do a lot of work to be successful. Once you have surgery, your (our) food crutch is going to be completely removed; you have be able to deal with that and it's difficult.

I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the BariatricPal App