Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help!! I'm about to pick up a french fry

Hello All,

I'm 25 days post op and still on full liquids until 10/02/07. Its crazy I'm don't have an appetite but I'm craving french fries and pizza.. I know the band helps with my appetite but how do I deal with the cravings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Lulu

Hello All,

I'm 25 days post op and still on full liquids until 10/02/07. Its crazy I'm don't have an appetite but I'm craving french fries and pizza.. I know the band helps with my appetite but how do I deal with the cravings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Lulu

Seriously... I'm on day 19 post-op (9/5)... I did Clear Liquids for 5 days, then full for 5 and soft foods for a week and now I am eating (well chewed and slowly) regular foods...mostly easily chewed stuff...

My doctor's philosophy is, everyone heals at different rates and can tolerate different foods at different times... the goal he said was to let the stomach heal and to NOT throw up for at least 21 days... when I went from full liquids to soft foods I did things like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, enchiladas (gr. beef...not shredded), etc.. Wendy's chili...

Yesterday, I had pizza for lunch ...well chewed and slowly... and shake and bake boneless skinless chicken breasts... with stuffing.... Lasagna is good too. I would not tackle a steak though or chewy drier meats... meatloaf is easy too.... I have not gained any weight either (my portions or small...I do feel full fast, despite having an unfilled band)...but psychologically, I feel happy... I do get a feeling like an egg going down whole if I do not chew slow and really well... but that's uncomfortable and a quick reminder to behave...

My first fill will be 10/2...

Each doctor has their own approach... but overall they all want the stomach to heal well and to have us avoid vomiting for 3 weeks or more... oh and for us to shoot for like 60 Protein grams a day.

When on soft foods...my favorite Breakfast is grits with cheese and scrambled eggs... and a spoon of plain whey Protein (I grew up down south...I LOVE grits!). I hate Protein shakes...so I also loaded my creamy Soups and oatmeal with Protein powder, so I could skip the shakes... and I drank V-8.... like liquid veggies...

When I get my fill and my volume is further reduced...I'll go low carb... and make better choices... I'm kinda digging this phase, pre-fill, and my only goals are to not throw up and not gain weight...although I have lost 11 post-surgery...mostly during the two liquid stages... so far, so good...

Tina

Hi LuLu - Put the chip down, and back away from the table!!! lol - you need to double check your books etc - you should really only be only liquids for the first 2 weeks, and then on mushy foods for the next two............... if you can't find anything, let me know, and I will post some usefull links for you - or maybe call your surgeon's office? good luck - karen

Hello All,

Thanks,

Lulu

Is it your doctor's request that you are still on liquids....oh that's probably a stupid question. Sorry. Try speaking to your dietician about moving on to mushy foods. Twenty-five days seems like a very long time to be on liquids. I feel for ya! My post-op diet was VERY similar to Tanyahs.....minus the pizza. I was eating tuna at week three. I'm all about chicken and fish right now. I love Pasta, but nothing in them but carbs. Carbs and sugars are the reason I'm fat, so I'm kicking them out of the program! Again talk to you dietician to see if you can move on. The cravings may never subside, but I found that if I keep my Protein levels up where they should be (60-80 grams) I don't really have them!

Good luck to you!

weight.png

If its killing you, EAT THE FRY!!, not the whole order. I have found that you will drive yourself nuts if you keep thinking about it. Nothing will satisfy you. Go ahead and eat 1 or 2 fries, this will curb your need. Just remember any food is ok in moderation.

Steve

Tina - what are grits? we hear about them in country songs, but thats about it............ I know we have plenty of weird words in Australia too!! cheers K

Grits are akin to corn meal and polenta... basically its a corn meal made with hominy (dehulled corn...either white or yellow... I prefer yellow, but white is more typically found outside of the south). Americans (and people who make polenta) basically make it up with milk and/or Water. You can make it thicker or thinner. Some eat it with sugar and milk like cream of wheat and some like it with cheese, sausage and gravy, various other toppings/additions, etc...me I like it best with bacon and eggs or with butter and salt/pepper. Leftovers can be poured in a pan, left to harden, sliced and fried and served with syrup.... It can also be used as a starch side dish in stead of potatoes. It's also very good with ground beef, browned with seasoned salt and soy sauce. It's basically a very versatile...starch dish... cheap and affordable. Polenta is a more gourmet version... grits are more "soul food'....

Tina

The thing that stinks is cravings are always going to be there. When I PMS it is the worst, I can eat. My Doc reminds me that the band is not going to make me feel full it is going to make me not feel hunger. When I crave something I am not hungry, I just want it! Does that make sense? Needless to say I try to distract myself, sometimes it works most times it doesnt so, I cave in to my cravings but in small amounts. I am a pizza addict. I used to be able to eat 4 slices, now I have one. So I guess you just have to do whats right for you. I feel good and have lost 30 pounds, just hit the 180's so life is good. Good luck!

Relax - Have a fry. It's not the end of the world. What I have found is that since I have to chew eveything so much to get it down, I just dont have time to eat any significant quantity.