Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the Lap-Band actually works, fills and refills

Vegas girl, if you read the beginning of this thread, you know that the reason the fill does not last is when you lose weight, you lose fat around your stomach. that makes the band looser.

If chicken and turkey are getting stuck, you are probably taking too big of bites and not chewing enough.

So many of those people who have had the by pass do lose weight fast, but they don't keep it off long tern. If you learn to change your eating habits, you will lose and learn to keep it off. That is the main goal, right? to not gain it back? Getting another fill and being so tight that you can't swallow spit is not the answer. Being too tight is horrible. People who are too tight end up living on ice cream, and that is not the road to weight loss. Getting full on hard Protein is the way the band is meant to work. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

I am not sure getting another fill is the answer for you if you're getting chicken and turkey stuck.

After my last post, I decided to get back on LBT and get motivated. Thinking I had bombed over the holidays, I set out to try the 5 day pouch test diet posted on another thread, and stepped on the scale Tuesday morning and low and behold! I had lost 4 lbs in the last week! I have no idea how it happened and I had to step on and off the scale several times before I believed what I saw.

So, I have lost about 9 lbs since Thanksgiving and I guess my band is making me feel fuller than I thought.

I did start the pouch test diet for 2 days and then I decided to wait until after New Years, so on Monday, I will be starting it again.

I'm just so glad that I came back to LBT and found two extremely useful threads with tons of great information and support on it.

Contrats on the weight loss. Could you direct me to the thread you found with the 5-day pouch diet test. (I have a lot of trouble navigating around this site.) Thanks.

:thumbup: Hello, I am new to this forum. I was banded on August 6, 2008. I started out at 305lbs. I have lost 70lbs already. I have been filled up to 7cc's. I am really feeling the restriction but it took awhile.

What an accomplishment - you should be very proud of yourself -

My surgery was 11/25/08 and have no fills as of yet -

Just had to cancel my first adjustment next week due to a recent bout with a stomach bug -

To be honest I'm pretty nervous about it - my stomach already feels weird and uncomfortable, especially when its empty -

Please describe in detail what your average day of eating/drinking is like with your full restriction - be honest as it could really help me -

Thanks for your help -

Hello! This is my first post. I've been on a few times reading first the positive stories then now about the fills and discouraging posts. I have to say I'm rethinking the LB. Some it works for, some it doesn't. Most lose, some don't. And if diet and exercise are the same after as b4 (but doesn't work b4) then why LB?? I am 270, 5'7", would love to lose 120ish if that is possible. What's ur recommendations??

Thankl you!!!! I was banded on 12/29 and wondering about the first fill. This was prolly the best info I had gotten on the fill proscess. I am now looking forward to my first fill (no date yet) so I can start to seem some results.

Hello! This is my first post. I've been on a few times reading first the positive stories then now about the fills and discouraging posts. I have to say I'm rethinking the LB. Some it works for, some it doesn't. Most lose, some don't. And if diet and exercise are the same after as b4 (but doesn't work b4) then why LB?? I am 270, 5'7", would love to lose 120ish if that is possible. What's ur recommendations??

Okay, the deal is that you will feel full on much smaller portions once you have had the right amount of fills. As long as you don't eat junk food like Cookies candy cake and ice cream, this time you will not only lose weight, you will keep it off.

Please describe in detail what your average day of eating/drinking is like with your full restriction - be honest as it could really help me -

Right now, I am very loose. It's almost like I have no band. I don't want to get another fill because I really

don't want to have to go back to having to chew so much and taking tiny bites. My fill is loose now because I have lost the fat pad around my stomach.

When I was in the losing stage, I usually drank a Protein Drink for Breakfast. Sometimes I would have a package of

weight control banana oatmeal with some skim milk over it.

lunch depended on whether I had any left overs from last night's dinner. Sometimes I had salad with some chopped up chicken breast in it.

Dinner was a piece of meat cut up into itty bitty pieces and some veggies of some sort. I ate things like meat loaf, most of a pork chop, and a lot of chicken.

I am single so I can eat what I want. I don't have to cook for anyone else.

Feel free to ask me if you want more details. I usually snacked on low fat string cheese or a sugar free fudgesicle or popsicle in the evenings. I always drink at least 64 oz of Water per day.

Oregondaisy

I appreciate your post. Thank you. How are you doing with the looser band. Do you have to chew, chew, chew or can you take bigger bites. I'm so frusted with eating Protein and the small morsels of beef or chicken, etc that I can eat. I've been considering an unfil so I can eat a little bit more "normal" I just miss eating without any rules and guidlines to follow in terms of small bites, slow and chew. Are you stil losing weight with the looser band. Thanks for your help

No, actually, I eat pretty much like I have no band now. I really don't have to chew my food like a new bandster.

No, I am not losing weight anymore. I need to lose the little bit that I gained back, but it's difficult with all the food temptations everywhere, and a loose band. It's really like I have no band right now. I would not mind having a slight fill, but I was having problems and my doctor thinks it's best I don't have anymore fills. It's watching what I eat and exercising for me now!

You might benefit from a slight unfill. A lot of people worry about the cost. If your fills are covered by insurance or the price of your surgery, you should consider having a tiny bit out. I would recommend that, especially if you're having problems with throwing up and getting food stuck. You can always have more put back in.

Hey Daisy

All I can say is hang in there. We're here for you. I was able to eat a regular dinner with no chewing or waiting last night and it was wonderful. Anyway,I gained weight this morning.

If I didnt have my fills I would probably put my weight back on in the blink of an eye. So I know it's really hard for you now. Hang in there

Hi Everyone,

As I read this thread, I realize a great number or us go through the HELL stage. that is the stage after the honeymoon post operative stage and the sweet spot. I too have felt all of the doubts and felt like a failure and was embarrassed by not having lost more weight. I hated thinking I wasted 20K of my own hard earned money. I think that may have been the worst. BUT alas...after my 3rd fill, 7.8 in a 10 cc band, I have restriction and I know without a doubt that I am at my sweet spot. I can eat about 1/2 cup of food at a time and if I choose the right foods, I wont be hungry again for several hours. Getting something stuck only happens when I eat something too fast or dont chew it well or just choose something that isnt a bandster choice food. Most of all I lost 15 more lbs in the month since my 3rd fill. I know I can still eat around my band, those mushies are always easier but also higher in calories and carbs. Who wont gain weight eating ice cream and puddings all the time. I also started exercising more. I walk 2 miles in 25 min/5 days a week and that has helped too. Hang in there, dont be discouraged. I am a big foody too and even with the most expensive screwdriver on the market, you still have to hold it in your own hand and control it. Good luck to all

Ruthi