Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all!

I am 11 days post op. Everything has been going well. I have no problems getting my liquids in or any of the heavier things (like mashed potatoes) while still on stage 2. I'm still on full liquids and scheduled to go to purée stage in 4 days. I'm struggling so hard with liquids. I want to go to purée stage so bad. I'll be honest, today I had 2 things on the purée stage and just chewed it really really well. I didn't have any issues. I'm terrified about tearing stitches but it seems some people go to purée straight out hospital. Can I get some advice? Anyone been on purée stage before 15 days post op? If I make sure foods are chewed super good, is it still dangerous? I feel like such a failure asking these questions so early out

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can fully imagine your desire to move ahead, but try to remember it's only 4 more days out of the rest of your life. My first three weeks post-surgery are to be Protein shakes only. I'm sure I will be ready to eat my shoes before 3 weeks of shakes are through. But this whole process is about following rules. If not the set of rules you're operating under now, then the next set, and the next, and eventually maintenance rules. If you can hold out four more days, you can do anything!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

The challenge is that we don't know what our stomach looks like, and therefore we can't be sure how advancing the food stages prematurely can affect us. Some people might say, "I did it, and I was fine," but that might not be the case for any particular person.

I was on liquids for 3 weeks post-op, so I know that it is a tough time. But it is important to your health to honor the food stages. This entire journey hinges on making good choices. While I do think the all liquid part of the food stages is the toughest time, the tough decisions will be around permanently.

Good luck!

The bad thing is, everybody's doctor is different on what type of plan to follow, so you're probably going to get all kinds of different answers. Some people have three weeks of liquids before moving to pureed food, and some only have one week. Just depends on their doctor. Personally, my doctor had this type of plan to be followed: one week of liquids, then one week of pureed food, then one week of soft food such as tuna or chicken salad, and then the fourth week was normal foods, as long as you tolerated them ok. So to answer your question, yes, I was on pureed foods before day 15, but that was because my doctor allowed that. But please don't feel like a failure just because you have questions. Its perfectly normal to have questions over such a life-changing decision such as this one. Hang in there, and best of luck!

I vividly remember telling my NUT that "I miss chewing" on many occasions during stage 1 & 2. Keep your eyes on the prize, buy yourself a pair of jeans in your new/next size, and remember that you CAN and WILL get to puree foods SOON. the Soft Foods stage will be exciting because it re-introduces texture and variety to your diet. Also, remember that rushing things can be painful (usually IMMEDIATELY), so take your time.

Remember that you are building a new relationship with food, and it needs to be a deliberate and intentional process. There is amazing freedom in being able to Taste and Enjoy without a fear of "running out" of anything. I still revel in being able to sit down in a Diner at any table! Embrace EVERY victory!

I was discharged on puree, and if you're chewing then it's not puree. And mashed potatoes is part of puree diet not liquid. It hasn't necessarily been fun going right into puree foods. I feel I wasn't and am not healed enough, and I focus more on liquids than foods. Today was day 8 and the first day I truly felt real hunger, and was able to eat a sizable amount of creamed Soup.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

I have to agree with @ready_to_be_thin. I've seen some people who could go right to pureed foods the day after being out of the hospital. Whereas I was on a 9 week step diet plan that went from like "Week 1: Liquids only, Week 2: Liquids & pureed, Week 3: Pureed, Week 4..." etc. etc. I advanced by about 2-3 days on each of mine, but did so cautiously and only with about one meal a day. I only did that, and with talking to my NUT about it, because I was struggling with energy to keep myself going at work. It wasn't until I was on pureed foods that I started gaining some of that energy back, so it was necessary for me to even function. I didn't actually blend up my stuff (I couldn't bring myself to do it), honestly. I just chewed and chewed and chewed until it was mush. the key is to make sure it's mush and there are no chunks, and it's not too big of a 'bite' you're swallowing. Otherwise you run the risk of hurting your stomach.

Every surgeon is different. Every body is different. Follow your NUT's instructions as closely as possible. If you are struggling, talk to them. It's what they're there for!

I was discharged on puree, and if you're chewing then it's not puree. And mashed potatoes is part of puree diet not liquid. It hasn't necessarily been fun going right into puree foods. I feel I wasn't and am not healed enough, and I focus more on liquids than foods. Today was day 8 and the first day I truly felt real hunger, and was able to eat a sizable amount of creamed Soup.< /p>

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

Mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, yogurt and cottage cheese are all part of my full liquid stage

I have to agree with @ready_to_be_thin. I've seen some people who could go right to pureed foods the day after being out of the hospital. Whereas I was on a 9 week step diet plan that went from like "Week 1: Liquids only, Week 2: Liquids & pureed, Week 3: Pureed, Week 4..." etc. etc. I advanced by about 2-3 days on each of mine, but did so cautiously and only with about one meal a day. I only did that, and with talking to my NUT about it, because I was struggling with energy to keep myself going at work. It wasn't until I was on pureed foods that I started gaining some of that energy back, so it was necessary for me to even function. I didn't actually blend up my stuff (I couldn't bring myself to do it), honestly. I just chewed and chewed and chewed until it was mush. the key is to make sure it's mush and there are no chunks, and it's not too big of a 'bite' you're swallowing. Otherwise you run the risk of hurting your stomach.

Every surgeon is different. Every body is different. Follow your NUT's instructions as closely as possible. If you are struggling, talk to them. It's what they're there for!

Thank you! You provided the best advice. I'll give them a call. My doctor actually advances me from Clear Liquids to full liquids like 4 days early because I was struggling with energy. I'll call my NUT and ask is it ok.

And the few things I did eat, I chewed until I couldn't chew anymore and made sure it was literally mush but I think you're right about talking to my NUT. I just think I wanted to hear it here first to make sure they didn't think I was just being crazy and greedy or something

I had things earlier than scheduled, just be careful and only once in a while.

The old saying is true. Their are no wrong questions. We are here to support each other. Maybe alternate chicken, beef and vegetable broth. I bought stock not broth. It seems to have a 'real food' taste. I'm in LOVE with powder Peanut Butter. I add it to chocolate powder, tastes like a Reesee cup. I bought caramel sugar free coffee flavor , add that to vanilla and Decaf coffee. Tastes like a Latte. I froz part of a shake, it wasn't the same as drinking a shake, I was eating with a spoon! My Dr is 3 weeks on liquid diet. I may stay on liquids for an additional week or 10 days. Like someone said, we don't know the size or shape of our new stomachs. I'd rather do everything possible to heal well. food isn't going anywhere. lol

The old saying is true. Their are no wrong questions. We are here to support each other. Maybe alternate chicken, beef and vegetable broth. I bought stock not broth. It seems to have a 'real food' taste. I'm in LOVE with powder Peanut Butter. I add it to chocolate powder, tastes like a Reesee cup. I bought caramel sugar free coffee flavor , add that to vanilla and Decaf coffee. Tastes like a Latte. I froz part of a shake, it wasn't the same as drinking a shake, I was eating with a spoon! My Dr is 3 weeks on liquid diet. I may stay on liquids for an additional week or 10 days. Like someone said, we don't know the size or shape of our new stomachs. I'd rather do everything possible to heal well. food isn't going anywhere. lol

I just bought powder Peanut Butter and said I was going to try it with the Protein. But I have unflavored Protein and can't stand milk so I'm not sure what to mix it with