Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update... surgery yesterday

My surgery was yesterday. They pushed me back frommarriving at 6 a.m. two arriving at 8:30 a.m., so that's what I did. They had me taken to pre-op at 8:40, where I was supposed to get an IV and all of that and then my husband would come back and hang out with me until they move me to holding and then he would head for the waiting room when I headed for the OR...

But I ended up in pre-op until sometime after 10... without my spouse.. because I had a complete and utter meltdown. :-(

I have no idea what happened but the minute they came at me with that IV, I thought about what my husband said as we walked into the hospital which was "last chance ... are you sure you want to do this?" And I just started bawling! Sobbing and sputtering& scared to death that I was going to end up regretting doing this! And it took four different nurses, my surgeon and his helper, Amy anesthesiologist to come in and get me calmed down. I have no idea what came over me.

One of my best friends had this surgery about a year-and-a-half ago ... and she works for a lighter me ... so I called her and she helped me a lot and eventually I did sign everything get my IV and agree to go into surgery.

I was out of recovery and in a room by around 3:00 pm. My husband and my son came to visit me after I got into a room. They stayed until 8 p.m. and then headed home. Around 6:30 I had them help me get up and I sat in a chair for a while which felt better I hadn't really had a lot of pain at that point... but man was I bloated and that gas is very uncomfortable!

I have not had my week test yet, so I haven't been allowed anything to drink... I keep getting a headache off and on it feels like a dehydration headache even though I'm not dehydrated because I'm on IV fluids. Maybe it's a lack of food headache because I haven't eaten anything since the day before yesterday. I walked one time around the ward, felt very tired, and decided to lie down.

Around 9 or 10:00 last night the gas became very very painful... at that point they had given me Toradol around 6 p.m. and I had a pump for morphine that I had not used it all yet. I used it like 3 times and it did not touch the pain so I had them get me out of bed. Once I was sitting up in a chair it was better and then I decided I needed to walk to start getting this gas moving... I walked around the ward twice, took a break, walked around the ward three times, took another break, walked around the ward twice, and didn't really get back into bed until around 3 or 4 this morning.

(I I'm unable to sleep without taking my Seroquel and I'm unable to have my Seroquel because I'm unable to swallow anything). I dozed off in a straight backed chair for a few, then slept in the bed, partially on my right side, until about 6 this morning... it is 7 a.m. now and I'm hoping to go for another walk very soon.

The only gas I have moved has been a few very small burps... and they won't take my catheter out until after I've had my leak test. I am using Gas-X strips they're just not helping much. At this point the gas is uncomfortable and a little painful but the only pain I've had from my stomach has been when I cough which I've done, thankfully, just a couple of times. Also a stomach sleeper so my back and hips and butt are killing me :-P

That's about it for now I'll come back and update more after my leak test which hopefully will be in the next few hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

The leak test was at 1:30 this afternoon. It went well. The stuff I had to swallow for the test tasted like Shampoo, but I managed not to puke and made it back to my room.

They had me drink 2 thirty ml medicine cups of Water between 3 and 4... and by 5 pm I was in extreme pain again. :-(

The doctor decided to keep me another night. He says the leak test shows no restriction, so he thinks the issue is that all this gas in my abdomen is squishing my irritated stomach and that by tomorrow, a lot more of the gas will be gone my insides won't be getting so squished and I'll be able to consume a little more than I have been able to today. That's my goal: to consume more by mouth so that I can go home tomorrow.

Well, overnight I managed another 21 laps around the ward and a 4 hour nap in a chair. I wish I could pass gas. So far I have peed and burped but nothing else... and it feels like if I could pass some gas I'd probably feel a lot better hut it just hasn't happened yet. I did drink another 30 ml of Water, though to be honest, I started my last batch of laps right after I drank that in sips and for 3 or 4 laps I had some pretty sharp pain under my ribcage on the left side. I can hear activity and grumbling in my abdomen so I hope more of this gas starts to dissipate so I can drink more and go home

Have now passed gas 3x... have had 11 oz of Fluid by mouth since 6 am (3 and a half hours) and my discharge papers are in progress ... I can't wait to get home!!

I am really glad that you went through with your surgery and that you are on the mend and ready to go home. It will get better each day, and before long, you will feel like yourself again!

I am home now!

I had a struggle getting my liquid Lortab prescription filled as no doctors near my home carried enough to fill it and thr big ones like Walgreens and CVS wouldn't do partial fills. Found a private pharmacy that gave me enough to get through till tomorrow and then the rest will be ready after 11:30 am. I haven't used mush pain medicine anyway... the morphine they gave me via PCS did absolutely nothing, so I only hit the button like 6 times while I was in the hospital.

I'm finding it difficult to get comfortable at home, it seems that I end up stratched out too far or squished over too much... there is no middle ground on our broken in sofa and love seat :-( I'm also struggling to keep my pets off my stomach (ouch)

Showering felt great but I think I'll get more out of showering when I can face the Water and really scrub all the iodine and stuff off my skin (I look like my belly had a run in with some bad self tanner lol)

I've had 28 ounces of Fluid... mostly Water, also hot tea and a little chicken broth. I feel throaty but over full at the same time and I'm being careful not to swallow air, since my belly is still pretty bloated all on its own (which is still very painful... nothing else bothers me, it's just the gas).