Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More Tired After CPAP

Hello everyone!

My surgeon asked me to do a sleep study and so I did, which indicated that I needed to use a CPAP. fine.

Prior, I was hardly ever tired. I went to bed at 930-10 and woke at 630-7.

I've been on the cpap for two nights. I've tolerated the mask well and worn it for more than 7 hours each night.

But....for the last two days I've been exhausted.

What gives? I thought this was supposed to help me feel better?!?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Are you pre surgery or post?

I have been on CPAP therapy for about 8 months.

Had my sleeve surgery on 11/14. Before surgery, it took about 4 months before I really started noticing a difference in the way I felt while using the CPAP. I was tired all the time before the CPAP, and that really lasted for a few months after I started using it. I have read where others have said that it takes months of use before you start to feel more rested.

After my sleeve surgery I have been a lot more tired. Of course, it was major surgery, so that's expected. I continue to use my CPAP, but I really haven't had more than a handful of days since surgery where I felt good and rested or had much energy. I force myself to keep active and exercise a few days a week, but my body just drags.

I think I should notice a difference here soon, since I am 10 weeks post op. I expect that healing from surgery and continued use from the CPAP will eventually lead to more rest and more energy.

If you are concerned about it, talk with your doctor or CPAP therapy provider, they can give you some insight.

Good luck.

Edited by mylighthouse

I forced myself to use that as much as I could before surgery. After surgery the nurses woke me up a few times because my pulse ox dropped. (It was highly annoying as I was extremely uncomfortable and trying to sleep off the drugs.) They did nothing to set up the CPAP machine that I was told to bring with me or risk not having surgery.

When I got home from the hospital I never touched it again. A month later I packed it up and signed off on medical non-compliance. I couldn't live with it unfortunately. It felt like a torture device and scared the dogs.

Please continue to use your cpap! It took me a couple of months to feel more rested while using it, but I NEVER sleep without mine now. As long as your mask fits appropriately and your pressure settings are correct, you will feel better.

Can you review your sleep data each day with your machine? I have a ResMed AirSense 10, and I can access my data either directly on the machine or through the myAir app. It lets me see how many hours I slept, how my mask seal was during the night, how many apneas/hypopneas per hour and if I took my mask off during the night. There may be some data that will help you decide if all is well (if you have more than a 10 as your apnea/hypopnea index -AHI-, you may need to have it adjusted, for example) and you just need to wait it out or if you need to talk with your sleep doc or your DME provider.

Good luck, and use the CPAP. Your overall health will be SO much better!

@@sleevinpops

There are probably some people who will always need their CPAP.

From what I've read and what my doctor told me, after I lose a significant amount of weight, I may no longer need it.

I will need to have another sleep study done to determine whether or not I still need to wear my CPAP. That is further down the road for me. I have lost a total of 68 pounds since I started using the CPAP. When the time comes, my doctor will let me know when I need to have another sleep study done. Then we will see what happens.

I repeated my sleep study at 10 months post op when I was down about 80 lbs. No evidence of sleep apnea so I was able to discontinue the CPAP. I still check in with my pulminologist every 6 months to make sure I remain symptom free.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App