Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting out and scared

I just made the decision to have gastric sleeve surgery and have a seminar to attend in 2 weeks to kick off the process. This is the scariest thing I have ever done and keep trying to talk myself out of it. I am 50, have about 125-130 lbs to lose, and am in constant pain from being so big. I know I need to do this but how does everyone get past the fear of something going wrong? Thanks for any input/suggestions you have.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You have made the right decision. It will take effort to go thru the process needed to have the surgery, but it is worth it. Once you are on your weight loss journey life is so much better.

I am terrified and it seems the more I read the more my anxiety goes up.. so I am following .. just wanted to let you know your not alone and I wish you lots of luck hun:)

I just made the decision to have gastric sleeve surgery and have a seminar to attend in 2 weeks to kick off the process. This is the scariest thing I have ever done and keep trying to talk myself out of it. I am 50, have about 125-130 lbs to lose, and am in constant pain from being so big. I know I need to do this but how does everyone get past the fear of something going wrong? Thanks for any input/suggestions you have.

Hi Debbie,

I'm also just starting out. Today

Was my first visit with the surgeon.

I prayed that everything would go

Smoothly and it did. The said thing

Is I allowed my weight to get so

Out of control. I got on the scale

To be weighed. Can not believe

I weigh 365 pounds. And even

More disturbing at 51 years old

I can't' remember the last time.

I weighed under 200 pounds.

Nervous but ready to save my

Life That's exactly what I plan

To do .Take my life back .

I wish the same for you.

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

I was worried right up until they wheeled me into the OR. (I had never had any kind of surgery in my entire life.) But it was nowhere near as bad or scary as I had built it up to be in my mind. In fact, the entire experience was pretty easy. Yes, I felt really lousy for the first two days post-op. Really lousy. But, by Day 3 post-op, I started feeling better and getting back out in the world again. And I recovered quickly.

My advice is to see what the requirements are, get started immediately (choose low-carb or something that works for you and see what you can take off pre-op), and then follow your plan exactly post-op. You will lose weight and you will be successful. I am living proof of that.

Good luck!

Read here and your worries will go away. I'm now so much more confident BH after reading SO many success stories here. My sleeve is on Jan. 30.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I started the discussion with my family doctor and she has me trying to lose some weight in a 6 week time frame. So far I lost about 4 pounds. Total that I lost from my heaviest is 13

I'm right there with you.. I'm scared especially when I think about my kids and if something bad happens to me. I can't continue this weight. I'm unhealthy and depressed. I'm doing this for me! Nothing will stop me now and my surgery will be in August or September. I just found this app and really think it will help.

I'm with you all, I'm scared too. But what I'm more scared about is living my life the way I am now. I'm in constant pain especially in my back and hips. I had to have a stent put in last year, that scared the crap out of me. I want to be able to play more with my grandkids and be my old self, not the person I am now who's so tired all of the time. I stay depressed all the time because I look so bad and feel so bad. I love clothes and y'all know how hard it is to find clothes that fit and I have always liked to dress up. I love high heels but cant wear them because my back hurts so bad. I just want to be normal again. Im 46 and weigh 246. I'm 5ft tall. I try not to think about the negative and focus on all of the positive things that comes from weight loss. Hopefully having my surgery in April or may. Just pray and have faith.

Sent from my LGL62VL using the BariatricPal App

I am just starting out as well I have my orientation on February 7th. I am excited but yes it's scary I am 50 years old as well what area are you from I am in a town called Tehachapi in California I will be going to Bakersfield for the orientation then after that there is A 12 week class that I have to attend for my insurance which is KAISER. I have not seen any surgeon yet just my regular doctor.

Hello everyone! I am 57 and today I have my first Dr appt. It took me a year to get to this point to check into surgery and set my mind that this is what I am going to do. I was scared but then I began to realize I am more scared of getting larger and more health problems than I already have. That fear shifted from about having surgery to not having it . It was a complete mind set shift. It also made me get into a totally positive position about doing this with my "failure is not an option" mentality. :) I hope all goes well today and I start the journey. I am going he insurance route with 6 months diet before surgery. I want out of this body and I am going to spend my energy on doing that instead of bring afraid. I wish you blessings to find the strength to make the change. Yes it's hard and yes it's OK to be scared. Give yourself time, when you are ready you will know. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I right there with you..... I'm 33, 5ft. 240# BMI 47 and scared of the surgery. But being so heavy has made simple thing difficult. I no longer ride bike, play ball, or do things with my kids. I am tired of being grumpy which is a direct result of being overweight. So, I am doing this for me and my kids....I have a better chance of living with the surgery than without!

www.srkindredspirits.blogspot.com

I right there with you..... I'm 33, 5ft. 240# BMI 47 and scared of the surgery. But being so heavy has made simple thing difficult. I no longer ride bike, play ball, or do things with my kids. I am tired of being grumpy which is a direct result of being overweight. So, I am doing this for me and my kids....I have a better chance of living with the surgery than without!

Ps.... I'm on month 4 of the supervised weightloss NUT visits.... surgery date should be April or May for me!

I'm 6 weeks post op from sleeve surgery. I can tell you, from my own experience, it is an easier surgery than I anticipated. I was amazed how good I felt, and how little pain there was. I have never found anyone that has regretted doing it. Even the people, that I've known, who have had complications don't regret it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5