Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3months out, suddenly zero hunger

Vets, please help.

I'll be three months out on Friday. I had never really lost my hunger and was completely ravenous from weeks 2-11. Suddenly I have zero hunger whatsoever. I only eat because I know I have to and when out to dinner with my boyfriend. I'm on the Keto and modified Gaps diets (gaps because my son who has sensory issues is now on gaps and I'm trying this gross bone broth and sauerkraut mess, and Keto because it kicks me out of stalls and I don't crave carbs one bit on it). Is it the Keto that is suddenly suppressing my hunger or is it the sleeve suddenly starting to suppress my hunger like others have had all along?

Like I said I was starving every single day since starting purée stage! Is it normal to suddenly lose appetite around this time? Will it come back again? Not that I necessarily want it back.. I just think this is odd. I'm not feeling full, but just not hungry at all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've been going through this. But it's been like an ebb and flow. I'll feel hungry till I'm almost sick and HAVE to eat something sometimes. Other times i forget to eat and have no feeling to ever want to eat. Feeling like that now. I hate it because it throws my eating off so much. Its hard to schedule my eating and i never feel like eating anything. I can never decide on anything because nothing feels or sounds appealing to me ever anymore. It's so weird because i actually need to eat and most of the time these days can barely make myself.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I would count that as a blessing. I am 10 weeks out and still get hungry like you did initially.

Can I ask what your typical menu is?

I don't know if you were referring to me but if it'll help any i don't have a set menu. I try to stick to low carb. 50g carbs and under, 60 to 70g Protein and at least 64oz of Water. Most days im good. But others i struggle. I try to log everything. Even the "bad" foods, which of im being honest I've had way more of than i should. I've been taking sips of things like full sugar soda. Which is dangerous. Especially since it's very uncomfortable. But after this last time that's a non issue. I've been slipping but on my good days I'll have as follows:

Bk: boiled egg

Snack: half a greek yogurt

Lunch: 2 to 3 oz of meat Protein

Snack: 1oz cheese stick

Dinner: 2oz meat protein .5oz veg maybe a carb but usually not

Snack: last half of Greek yogurt maybe 2.5 oz.

I have no food scale as of yet but plan on it in the very near future. I think meal planning is in this vein. What's does your food consist of if you don't mind me asking? I seriously need meal suggestions and ideas. Sorry this is so long im really struggling. Going back to my shakes until i can get a better handle on my food.

Loss of appetite and hunger seems normal to me at three months out. I remember that early after my surgery, eating was a task I had to complete and nothing more. I didn't have normal hunger signals anymore, and I found eating to be a chore. It was no longer something I found pleasure in; in fact, I knew I would experience discomfort every time so I came to care less and less for eating in general.

My appetite returned later in my process, but I lost a ton of weight while I was busy being disgusted by food.

My point however is that probably it is nothing to worry about. Just complete your meals like a task that has to be done instead of following a desire to eat.

Thanks everyone. I'm just amazed cause I had a huge appetite up until this week. Now nothing.

I also don't have a typical menu but I definitely stay under 50g carbs, usually under 25, and 60-85 g Protein . On Keto I end up eating a lot of bacon, eggs, meatballs , cottage cheese, organic turkey deli meat and low lactose cheeses, salmon and broccoli or string Beans. I added sauerkraut and bone broth for GAPS. I get almost no grains and zero fruit. Amazingly I stopped craving carbs almost immediately after starting Keto... that was the first craving to go away. Now I really don't crave anything so I'm forcing myself to eat.

I would count that as a blessing. I am 10 weeks out and still get hungry like you did initially.

I don't know if you were referring to me but if it'll help any i don't have a set menu. I try to stick to low carb. 50g carbs and under, 60 to 70g Protein and at least 64oz of Water. Most days im good. But others i struggle. I try to log everything. Even the "bad" foods, which of im being honest I've had way more of than i should. I've been taking sips of things like full sugar soda. Which is dangerous. Especially since it's very uncomfortable. But after this last time that's a non issue. I've been slipping but on my good days I'll have as follows:

I have no food scale as of yet but plan on it in the very near future. I think meal planning is in this vein. What's does your food consist of if you don't mind me asking? I seriously need meal suggestions and ideas. Sorry this is so long im really struggling. Going back to my shakes until i can get a better handle on my food.

Torriluv... you are doing wonderfully this far but please, whatever you do.. back away from the full sugar soda. You know it's not good and knowing is half the battle :-)..

Try using MyFitnessPal to log food. It's really helped me. I'm also GigiinDC there if you need a friend. There is a MyFitnessPal thread here too you can search for and add others from that thread. I was never one to log food until I found MyFitnessPal.. makes it easy. You can also get meal ideas on there from friends food logs, but so far you seem to be doing great , besides the soda. The more you cut complex carbs and high sugar foods out the less you will crave them.

Also-- a food scale will definitely help. I just got - great one two weeks ago on Amazon for $14.99.

Hope that helps!

Torriluv... you are doing wonderfully this far but please, whatever you do.. back away from the full sugar soda. You know it's not good and knowing is half the battle :-)..

Try using MyFitnessPal to log food. It's really helped me. I'm also GigiinDC there if you need a friend. There is a MyFitnessPal thread here too you can search for and add others from that thread. I was never one to log food until I found MyFitnessPal.. makes it easy. You can also get meal ideas on there from friends food logs, but so far you seem to be doing great , besides the soda. The more you cut complex carbs and high sugar foods out the less you will crave them.

Also-- a food scale will definitely help. I just got - great one two weeks ago on Amazon for $14.99.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much!???? the soda thing isn't even really a thing. But i notice if it's in the house im more likely to drink some. But other than those slip ups i drink room temp Water. That or lightly sweetened hot tea which is rare. But i used to drink sugary drinks all day which is why i think i still have weak moments here and there. I would drink juice all day. I would drink juice when hungry instead of actually having something to eat. But it was all sugar. I've almost completely kicked it but i have noticed my weakness lately and am getting a handle on it. If i stick to low carb and no sugar drinks and Protein Shakes im fine. Im going back to my shakes for a while until i can better get in my protein and other things. It's a learning curve If i ever saw one having this surgery. I wonder if it would have been this difficult without it. But i know without this i wouldn't be half as motivated to know what works for me and what i need to lose weight consistently and i wouldn't be as inclined to do the mental work that i now know is going to be the biggest aspect of this. But yeah. Sorry for the long reply. I really need a friend i can talk to outside of this forum lol.

Oh and i have been tracking my food on mfp for almost a whole month now. It's helping to keep me accountable because i record just about everything that i can lol.

You should feel free to vent here! PM if you need help.. I'm no pro - still a newbie , but happy to share war stories. Also does your doc have a support group in your area? Where do you live?

One thing about soda....diet or otherwise...that I just learned from the Registered Dietician in our support group last week...the carbonation stretches your sleeve or pouch! Carbonation expands when it gets warm so once in your stomach it heats up and expands and stretches your sleeve! That is truly why any carbonated drinks are a no no after surgery! Not the sugar but goodness knows we do not want to stretch out our stomachs after all that hard work!!! Good luck to all of us! =)

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App