Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone tell me how long their journey to surgery took

I want my surgery done Asap...i have my first appointment to meet the surgeon ever on 2/10/17...my very first meeting..im wanting to have my surgery by March is that possible? I have researched and studied changed my mind 10 years ago...but now im ready...can someone tell me how long it took from your first visit then to surgery.

Sent from my LGMS428 using the BariatricPal App

If you are using insurance, it all depends on your policy requirements. If you are self-pay, it all depends on the doctor's requirements.

For me, I had my PCP referral appointment February 2, my first appointment with the surgeon's NP on March 3, and my surgery was September 28. (My insurance required six months of doctor supervised weight loss.)

Good luck!

It was 6 months of required classes with the surgeon office before my surgery. Check with your insurance company some insurance companies have requirements before they will approve the surgery. At the time I had Oxford, so I was required by Oxford to do the classes. The classes were very helpful to me and I felt I was totally prepared for my journey once I was approved by my insurance company.

If you self pay not sure if you are still required to do classes. You need to,speak with your surgeon and insurance company.

Good luck in your journey and looked forward hearing from you in the future on how you are doing.

Laney

Saw the surgeon for the first time June 15 2015 had my surgery Jan 26th 2016. Had 6 months of a supervised diet and so many tests I lost track now of what was all done. The wait helped as it allowed me to research and read one book after another on the surgery and what to expect before, during and after surgery. In my Opinion and from the postings on here, those who had to wait the 6 months seem to have a better understanding as to what is required to have a successful life after surgery. Good luck with your insurance company!

It depends on the insurance and surgeons schedule. I seen the dr. in the beginning of November and my surgery date is Feb 8th. I could have done it sooner but I couldn't miss work to do all the appointments and 3 classes.

While my insurance did not require any pre-op stuff, my bariatric team did. I had to attend an information session, then I could make an appointment with my surgeon. Info session in April, first appointment on May 11. My team required 3 months of monitored weight loss, monthly meetings with my nutritionist and nurse practitioner. I had to have an upper GI endoscopy to ensure no hernia needed repair and that there wasn't an ulcer in my stomach, attend one support group meeting, have my psych evaluation, blood work, chest x-ray, clearance by both pulmonary (I'm asthmatic) and cardiology all prior to surgery. My surgery was on August 23. That was just enough time to get all the testing done and all the insurance squared away. (There was also a pre-op class about the 2 week pre-op and the post-op diet.)

Success for this is mostly in your head -- you need to have your head in the right place before you're surgery. If it's not, it's not going to work well for you.

This is a tool. It's not magic. You need time to learn how to break a lifetime of bad eating patterns and learn how to deal with the issues you have had with food. You need to start getting active.

You didn't post any of your stats in your profile, but when I started this journey, I was 271. Today, 5 months post-surgery, I'm 75 pounds lighter, total, 50 pounds since surgery. I wouldn't change a thing. If I had to wait, six months, I would have. This has changed my life in ways I cannot explain.

It depends on the insurance and surgeons schedule. I seen the dr. in the beginning of November and my surgery date is Feb 8th. I could have done it sooner but I couldn't miss work to do all the appointments and 3 classes.

Who is ur insurance with..i have BCBS

Who is ur insurance with..i have BCBS

I have NJ BCBS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

I started my weightloss journey march of 2016 and didn't have my surgery until November. Because I had to wait 6 months for my insurance, plus get all my clearances. It all depends on your insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My insurance did not require any supervised diets, etc, so I was able to move fairly quickly. But it still took time to get all the paperwork coordinated from PCP, asthma doc, etc., plus attend the info sessions the clinic required and schedule appointments with NUT and Psyc. My seminar was mid-July and surgery early-Oct. Even if you are self-pay, a good clinic will require visits with a nutritionist, psychologist, etc. If your insurance doesn't hold you up and you can take whatever appointments are offered, you *might* be able to make it on your proposed timetable. Not impossible, just exceptional. :-)

Cash. Decision made Oct. 2016. Appt. Scheduled Dec. 5th. Then rescheduled for Jan 2nd 2017. I couldnt come up with $ as for we had been on vacation all Dec. Finally, called Jan 9th and got it done Jan. 10th 2017 ????

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App

I want my surgery done Asap...i have my first appointment to meet the surgeon ever on 2/10/17...my very first meeting..im wanting to have my surgery by March is that possible? I have researched my isurance is BCBS Illinois and studied changed my mind 10 years ago...but now im ready...can someone tell me how long it took from your first visit then to surgery.

Sent fromMy my LGMS428 using the BariatricPal App