Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do I find Date Buddies or a Feb 2017 Group?

I have a surgery date of Feb 8th and I'd like to connect with others with similar dates. Can someone please direct me to the right place? I can't seem to find any chatter about getting sleeved in February.

Thank you so much, in advance!

Feb 9th! Are you excited?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Yes. Excited and a little nervous. How about you?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App

Hey there I'm February 8th!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

Feb 9th for me! I started my pre-op diet yesterday, so it's really starting to feel real now.

Me too! Who's your surgeon? Maybe we'll see each other.????

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App

How is the diet going? I start mine on the 26th. Any recommendations?

@greenwithenvy: So far so good. Because of my high BMI, I have to do a 3-week pre-op diet. I have to drink 2-3 Protein shakes a day, and I'm allowed two meals of lean Protein (min. 4 oz per meal) and all the non-starchy veggies I want, plus 1-2 tbsp of healthy fat, like olive oil or avocado. In theory, I'm not allowed any fruit, but 1/2 c. of berries or 1/2 a banana is okay for one of my shakes. While I have mild feelings of hunger throughout the day (mostly in the afternoons), I'm surprised at a) how weak that hunger is and B) how satisfied I am from the food that I eat. I've been tracking my nutrition and so far I've been consuming over 120g of protein per day. Plus, I've already lost 3kg in 2 days! It really makes me wonder why I was eating so much before, when I could get by with so much less.

It may be kind of early to draw any conclusions, but so far this is what I have noticed:

- I need my Breakfast Protein shake to be "full" - that is, just Protein powder and Water is not enough to keep me satisfied until lunch. I tried that the first day, and it was a disaster. I ended up eating part of my lunch (grilled chicken breast over baby leaf lettuce with olive oil/lemon dressing) as a mid-morning snack to keep the hunger pains in check. That helped a lot. Yesterday and today I made full shakes and they have kept me satisfied so much longer! (For example: 8oz. of soy milk, 200g of tofu, 1 scoop vanilla bean Protein Powder (syntrax), and 1/2c. diced frozen strawberries. - OMG - so delicious! It's like a milkshake).

-I've been drinking Syntrax nectar Protein drinks during the morning and afternoon (16 oz. each). They taste really good and I hope I still enjoy them post-op. They don't have that really sweet flavour of the more traditional flavours like vanilla and chocolate. Plus, you don't need to mix them with anything except Water, which is a huge bonus.

-I've now rediscovered the art of poaching - last night was poached salmon (w/green beans), and the night before was poached chicken (w/zucchini and mushrooms). I had to find a way to cook meat/fish without using oil (since I already have it earlier in the day with my salad and/or use it for my veggies) and poaching is a nice alternative that leaves the meat really moist and tender, which I think will be essential post-op.

-I have to remind myself not to drink 30 min before/after eating. It's not that hard, just hard in the sense that I'm trying to start a new habit, since I'm so used to coming home with something from the supermarket and sitting down and starting to eat/drink right away. But since I can't do that anymore, I know that once I start preparing food that there is no more drinking until 30 minutes after eating. That said, I do a light "swish" of water or tea right after eating to clear away any bits - it's less than a tablespoon worth of liquid, and after that I don't feel the need to drink at all (in fact, I can go over an hour without drinking). Of course, I want to get to the point where I don't need that swish at all. In fact, I want to get down to one meal a day by week 2, and maybe all liquids by week 3, just to help kickstart my weight loss a little more. But, for the moment I'm taking it day-by-day to see how things go.

I started drinking Protein Drinks over two months ago (but one daily since Jan.1) just so I could get used to them, discover which ones I like, and also because it may benefit hair/skin down the road. I've also been taking a lot of supplements - Probiotics, Calcium, Multivitamin, B-complex, Biotin, and Vitamin C, and I have to say I've noticed that I have a lot more energy and feel better since I started taking them on a regular basis.

Since I live in Japan, I have a lot of tofu/miso/edamame and fish options for me, so I want to incorporate more of that into my diet, since it will help with getting protein from real food, rather than drinks. I know there are some people who are not fans of soy/tofu, but they are good sources of protein, and will enable me to keep up with my nutrition goals. I don't have the same options for low-carb, high protein foods and drinks that are more readily available in the US.

Anyway, sorry for the long post! I hope it helps.

Edited by biginjapan