Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest Pain/ Abd Pain/ Dry Heaves

Post RNY Dec 1, 2016. Post reflux surgery. I am having problems with foods mainly meats. Within two bites I suddenly become in excruciating pain to center chest and abd, and I dry heave. I also am unable to swallow my own spit without dry heaving it back up. This does not go away for over 6 hours. I am severely uncomfortable, and can not lay down nor stand up straight for very long. I can only tolerate the gas x strips. My surgeon did not seem very concerned yesterday when I saw him, he just wants me to try different, lighter meats. Then last night it occurred again :(

I am trying the Protein shakes but they cause diarrhea and dairy is intolerable.

Can anyone relate ? I have read about strictures. Could this be??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

After surgery, I became lactose intolerant. Whenever I drank milk or anything that contained dairy products, my stomach would hurt and it lead to a quick trip to the restroom with diarrhea. This condition lasted for a couple months and then disappeared. It is common. I stayed away from dairy during this time and that is how I controlled this problem. Some Protein shakes contain dairy.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.
So it is extremely important that you meet your daily protein requirements and this means taking Protein Shakes daily. So since you are having problems with consuming protein shakes make sure the brand you are using is lactose free. Experiment and find a Protein shake you can tolerate. You don't have to like it only tolerate it.
Food is secondary. The transition to solid foods after RNY gastric bypass surgery can be difficult, so don't rush it. My program did not let me consume solids until week 9. Consuming meat at the beginning can be very difficult especially steaks and poultry. Generally I started out with tuna fish. Some of the symptoms you are describing sound very much like dumping syndrome. So a few rules. Never eat before bedtime. Your body processes food differently in a horizontal position than in a vertical position. If you try and lay down and sleep it is impossible, so eat your evening meal early.
As I transitioned to solid foods (such as chili and soups) I found that softer foods went down easier than harder foods such as steak. So I heavily relied on them and still do to some extent. I have included a few recipes at the end of the following article that you may wish to try. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

James, I want to thank you so very much for this information. I was told to try GNC and they could help w shakes and Protein requirements, so I am headed there today.

You inspire me- I am in a very rural area with few resources so this app, including you, are about all that I have... Thanks again for all the advice above and those recipes are gonna help immensely!

I haven't had my surgery yet and u just scared the he'll out a me. I pray this gets better for you

please don't let me scare you. It's all worth it in the end. I just have to find my way.... and this app is awesome at helping you transition- everyone is different and I'm more complicated bc I have had the reflux surgery.

I look forward to your successes, New Beginnings:)

Follow up- started on Nexium and went back to shakes of the evening and earlier eating/drinking times, AND have slept well, no sickness. :)

It's so awesome to wake up to the morning instead of being up all night, sick.

This girl has to work, so a hustling I must go ????‍♀️