Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys, this is for all of Dr. David Kim's patients. How is everyone feeling about the shake up at KBI(now DFW Bariatric Institute)? With Dr. Kim stepping back and Dr. Holden leaving, I'm really worried about going through this practice to get my procedure done. I am in love with the inverted sleeve technique and I really hate to switch to another surgeon now that I am halfway through this pre-op process, but I am not super impressed with the two remaining surgeons. Anybody else have thoughts on all of this??

I see you post of a year ago and am in midst of deciding Inverted Gastric Sleeve (Dr David Kims Bariatric) or another option. Did you get the surgery done? Any opinions or if you used someone else?

Neil P

Hi Neil,

I did have the VSG on 4/28/2017, and Dr. Castro was my surgeon. He is with DFW Bariatric Institute (formally Kim Bariatric Institute. It was very frustrating be a patient during their transition, but only insurance/paperwork wise. My surgery was awesome. Dr. Castro took very good care of me and I recovered very quickly. I have lost 103 lbs, and I'm only 7 lbs from my goal weight! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi twinmommy2004!

Dr Castro will be doing my surgery 1/29/18. So glad to hear this about him! I am traveling from Minnesota, so this helps a ton to make me feel comfortable with my decision. Thank you!!

I am happy to hear about your surgery on 1/29 and wish you speedy recovery.

I am also seriously considering Dr. Castro for VSG and will be travelling from Virginia. Not to be personal nor asking for explicit details such as addresses etc lol but can you tell me if you have already met Dr. Castro face to face or do would you meet him when you arrive in Dallas, how many days before surgery you have to be in Dallas and where do you stay (assuming Hotel), how many days you stay after surgery you stay in Dallas, (Total number of days do one allocate in Dallas for surgery incl before and after surgery etc), How many days do you stay hospital etc etc.

Hi Neil! I have not yet met dr. Castro. I will meet him on 1/24. That is my preop appointment and bari university (where you learn all you need to know).

I am flying down the 23rd, back on the 24. Then flying back down on the 28th for surgery on the 29th. My post op is on 2/2 and they said I can go home that day. I'm going home on 2/4.

I happen to have an aunt in Dallas, so I am staying with her.

They told me to plan 10 days, which I guess total it is. I decided to go home after my preop to save a couple days vacation.

I was a bit frustrated at the beginning of the process. Everything was done via email, which is fine, but this is a big decision and I felt like I didn't have any info. I explain this to them and they immediately sent me a ton of information as well as the bariatric University book early.

I was going to use Kims office, but after his indictment for insurance fraud, and the surgeon of his that almost killed someone, I switched to UTSW medical. They told me that Kims office treats this surgery like a high volume in and out trype procedure and they dont recommend that. They were saying they would never recommend this to be outpatient and you should at least have one night in the hospital for observation.

They had one surgeon that cut an artery on a guy and couldnt figure out was wrong so they just shipped him off to Baylor hospital. He bled out for some time and they eventually had to amputate both legs. No thanks!!

On 1/14/2018 at 9:23 AM, Oochie said:

Hi Neil! I have not yet met dr. Castro. I will meet him on 1/24. That is my preop appointment and bari university (where you learn all you need to know).

I am flying down the 23rd, back on the 24. Then flying back down on the 28th for surgery on the 29th. My post op is on 2/2 and they said I can go home that day. I'm going home on 2/4.

I happen to have an aunt in Dallas, so I am staying with her.

They told me to plan 10 days, which I guess total it is. I decided to go home after my preop to save a couple days vacation.

I was a bit frustrated at the beginning of the process. Everything was done via email, which is fine, but this is a big decision and I felt like I didn't have any info. I explain this to them and they immediately sent me a ton of information as well as the bariatric University book early.

Biggest challenge I find is talking to someone personally. They keep sending One-Liner email so hard to try and get appointment or any of that. Any suggestions or their phone number where i can contact them directly to cut the email chase?

Hi Neil. I do have a phone number for them I believe I left my sheet at work. If I find it this week and I'll send it to you, otherwise I'll send it Monday. I agree that was the most challenging part. But from everything I've heard about Dr. Castro he is very kind compassionate and caring.

That will be wonderful...

Also while my prayers are with you, I'd like to hear from you after you meet him and the office on 24th!