Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off from work

It will depend on your employer what form of paid time off you have access to. But it's recommended by pretty much every surgeon to take at least two weeks off after surgery.

It also depends on what kind of job you have. At a desk job where you can be drinking your fluids all day, it is pretty easy to go back at two weeks. If any lifting is involved, you'll be on a lifting restriction for about 6 weeks.

I went back at two weeks and was ok but do wish I had taken an extra week. I was fine pain wise (had been off all pain meds even tylenol for over a week at that point). It just happened that that week was the week I started purees and really had to start separating eating and drinking and get a schedule down for that. First week at work (it was also a new job - but a former employer and boss who knew about my surgery) it was very easy to get distracted with the work and fall behind on getting my fluids in. So in that sense I wish I had waited another week. I was also exhausted at the end of the day. So it was manageable to go back at two weeks, but I would recommend an extra week.

I am in IT, so I drive a desk and have work-from-home options.

I had surgery on Wed, started working from home the following Monday, returned to the office a week after that (3 days a week, the other 2 are at home).

I had only been in my position about 10 months, so I had very little PTO built up, and did not qualify for FMLA protection. So I was trying to minimize my time out of the office.

I REALLY wish I'd taken that first week completely off, then started working from home the 2nd week which would have been 12 days post-op, and then started at the office 19 days post-op.

That first week was rough, even working from home. I had very little pain and no actual throwing up, but intermittent nausea and felt like it was a full time job just trying to get my fluids and Protein in. I made it through, but I wish I'd had a little more time off to recover first.

You should be past the pain stage by 2 weeks, but fatigue will be a real issue and like @@heidikat72 said, time management can be an issue. As you start advancing through the food stage, keeping track of your food and Water and when to eat and when to drink and when to take your Vitamins can feel like a full-time job in itself!

I took three weeks, and I'm very glad I did!

You may want to look into what FMLA means at your facility. For me is it only protection of my position, I would still have to use my accrued time for pay.

I wish you the best!!

I took 2 1/2 weeks off..to be honest surgery on Wednesday and could've went back on that Monday.. Was blessed to feel a little sore n uncomfortable but it was manageable BUT I waiting helped me get my routine of pills, eating,drinking and rest together..slevwd November 9th.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

You may want to look into what FMLA means at your facility. For me is it only protection of my position, I would still have to use my accrued time for pay.

I wish you the best!!

That's what I'm thinking because it's no way I can be able to function because I work at home the post office I'm a clerk

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wish you the best!!

That's what I'm thinking because it's no way I can be able to function because I work at home the post office I'm a clerk

There is no way I could have been at a job where I stood all/most of the day before 3 weeks or so. I was so incredibly fatigued, and that didn't start getting better until I got on soft foods.

You can get fatigued so fast and easy in the first month. I wouldn't trust myself on a commute.

I would have tons of energy, and then just be instantly exhausted. If I had to commute for work, I would be afraid of falling asleep at the wheel.

I work from home so I went right back to work the day after surgery, answering customer emails as soon as I arrived home from the hospital. I don't suggest it though.

I think someone with a regular job would need 2 to 3 weeks off.

I took a week off. My surgery was on Friday and then I returned the following Monday. I was scheduled to go back a few days before that but I wasn't ready. My recommendation is to take as much time as you can.