Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planning on having a revision

I haven't done that, though I would consider it an option if I need it. Why are you considering it?

I've only heard it done in response to severe GERD.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I would go back to basics: lean Protein and vegetables. Cutting out any empty carbs, alcohol, and anything that slides down easily. Not drinking while eating. It may be that the steroids and depo shot are really messing with your weight, but in that case switching to a bypass wouldn't change that unfortunately.

Good luck to you. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with my last post, I just meant that your sleeve is still there and they don't really stretch out so if it's not working you need to consider whether you are "eating around it" by eating stuff that goes down too easily meaning you don't get full. Another expensive major surgery won't fix your food choices when you already have restriction built in if you use it as intended.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Well if you know how I can get back on track please tell me clc9

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think what @@clc9 means is as long as you are following the 'rules' of WLS like you were in the beginning, you should be able to jump start weight loss again. Although in all fairness, it is so much harder to get regain off once it's there, whether it be 5 pounds or 50 pounds. This is something I honestly think newer post ops don't understand, and can't possibly if they haven't been there. If your insurance is willing to pay for a revision, go for it! Just remember, no amount of revisions will help keep the weight off if you aren't following the basic rules of WLS, no matter what the surgery. This unfortunately is a life time commitment, and if we get lax in any area of the commitment, regain (as you know) will easily happen. You kind of had the double whammy of pregnancy and meds, unfortunately.

Good luck to you!

@@putt0129

And by all means, I don't want anyone to discourage you from a revision if you feel that's what you need. But try going back to what worked before first, and see how it goes? Also, look into 5:2 Intermittent fasting (Google). That worked for a little bit of regain I had. I feel it boosted my metabolism again, along with a new exercise routine. Remember the rules of WLS?

Protein first

At least 64 oz of no calorie/low calorie fluids

Green, non starchy veggies and low sugar fruit like berris

Low sugar or white carb consumption (bread, rice, Pasta, etc)

No drinking with meals and wait at least 15-20 minutes after you eat to drink again

And I feel these rules help:

Low processed food consumption. Stay away from anything with 'ingredients' the best you can and stick to fresh stuff.

A little fat is good for you! Eat the butter, oil, bacon, Mayonnaise, full fat dressings and avocado's along with your fresh food diet. In moderation, of course. It also keeps you satisfied longer.

Get at least 10,000 steps a day any way you can. Playing with your dogs or kids, pacing your house in bad weather, a you tube exercise video, join a gym and walk on a treadmill. You don't have to kill yourself with exercise, just move more! Also, find ways to work your muscles.

You can have a bypass after the sleeve. The sleeve started out as a 2 part procedure for patients who needed to lose weight before having the bypass. So many did well with it they didn't have to have a second operation. You may have to go through hoops with insurance but it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I converted to bypass from sleeve because of severe GERD. Prior to surgery, my Dr. told me I was unlikely to lose any significant weight as a result. And he was right. I've lost a whole 11 lbs in the 6 months since my revision. Sorry I can't give you any additional information about revision for weight loss, but if you have questions about revision in general, feel free to ask.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches