Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Anxious / Pre-Op Diet

I'm a paramedic/firefighter from St. Louis area. All my life,I've put others first in personal and career life. I've come to realize that all of the different diets and different exercise programs, Ifailed cause of me and no one else. I take responsibility for that.

I have BCBS-IL and received the approval letter on Thursday the 5th. On Friday the 6th, I drove over theSurgeon's office and hand delivered the letter. Unfortunately, their computer system was down and the individual who schedules the surgeries was off. Needless to say, was a lil disappointed. When leaving my Surgeon's office, I actually ran into him. Told him what was up, I asked him, if I could go ahead and start my pre-op diet on Monday. He, pulls out his phone , looks at calendar and says yeah. He says, I'll have them schedule surgery for the week of the 23rd. So, I'm rambling on. My BMI Is 63, I'm 5'9 and weight 418, Apparently, cause of BMI, I need to be on a 14day clear liquid diet prior to surgery. Just curious if anyone has had to do this ? If so, what kind of things worked for you on the pre-op diet ? Also, has anyone ever gotten anxious or apprehensive as the surgery date gets closer ? Last question, with my BMI at 63. Can a person lose a significant amount of weight. Appreciate any feedback, my apologies for lengthy post. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I was on a 12 day clear liquid diet. My surgeon requires the use of clear Isopure Protein drink found at GNC. I hated the taste, but it did keep me from getting weak/dizzy during the liquid phase. I used different broths and played around a lot with herbal teas. I was allowed sugar free Jello and popsicles. I didn't care for the Jello, but the Outshine brand of popsicles was a lifesaver. Everyone's plan is different, once per day up until 2 days before surgery I was allowed to eat 1/2 cup raw carrots, broccoli or apple....that's it. As to your second question, yes it is VERY normal to become nervous and anxious before surgery. It's major surgery, but you will do great! From what I have seen on this forum and other bariatric sites, people with a lot of weight to loose/high BMI do loose a significant amount of weight quite fast. But like most of us, it usually slows down to a steady pace. I wish you a healthy recovery, it's an amazing life changing process!

Edited by Montana Gal

Hi my name is Carol

And he answer is yes Im very anxious and nervous about my surgery which will take place 1-11-17. My doctor's Office uses Robard for 2 weeks which consist of puddings , shakes, Soups and snack bars and we can have crystal light, Water, sugar free popsicles& Jello and broth but nothing red or purple. The last 2 days we can not have the snack bar.

The 2 weeks were not as bad as I thought it would be.. But I'm concerned about the next 2 weeks getting enough Protein and fluids in me. But we were supplied with sample recipes so they should help. I just hope it all goes well. And good luck with your surgery.

I'm a paramedic/firefighter from St. Louis area. All my life,I've put others first in personal and career life. I've come to realize that all of the different diets and different exercise programs, Ifailed cause of me and no one else. I take responsibility for that.

I have BCBS-IL and received the approval letter on Thursday the 5th. On Friday the 6th, I drove over theSurgeon's office and hand delivered the letter. Unfortunately, their computer system was down and the individual who schedules the surgeries was off. Needless to say, was a lil disappointed. When leaving my Surgeon's office, I actually ran into him. Told him what was up, I asked him, if I could go ahead and start my pre-op diet on Monday. He, pulls out his phone , looks at calendar and says yeah. He says, I'll have them schedule surgery for the week of the 23rd. So, I'm rambling on. My BMI Is 63, I'm 5'9 and weight 418, Apparently, cause of BMI, I need to be on a 14day clear liquid diet prior to surgery. Just curious if anyone has had to do this ? If so, what kind of things worked for you on the pre-op diet ? Also, has anyone ever gotten anxious or apprehensive as the surgery date gets closer ? Last question, with my BMI at 63. Can a person lose a significant amount of weight. Appreciate any feedback, my apologies for lengthy post. Thanks

Hi Greg!

Congratulations on your approval. That's great news! I just first want to say that I, too, have BCBS of IL. I'm not sure where you're having your surgery, but even though I live in N. Indiana, I'm having mine at the University of Chicago.

When I went into the surgeon's office for my first appointment, I guess I was expecting to be on an all liquid diet for two weeks before, and two weeks after the procedure. My doctor said that a low carb will suffice for two weeks before because that's how he wants his patients to eat for life, not on a liquid diet. Now, having said that, maybe it's a patient to patient thing. I have 225 pounds to lose, ideally, so that should tell you that I'm not on the light end of the BMI spectrum. But maybe some patients have more of a fatty liver that needs to be lean in time for surgery, so a liquid diet is the best bet--I don't know, I'm just shooting something out there into this vast strange universe known as the internet.

I want to have only the sleeve done and that's it. My doctor was/is pushing me hard for the DS procedure. Which surgery are you planning on having-- the sleeve, gastric bypass, or the ds? Some surgeries will have you lose faster than others, but either way, you will lose a ton of weight quickly since you're a man starting at a higher weight than a man who's, let's say, is only 270. And a man...did I say a man? Yes, you're a man. Us women tend to lose slower, so that's definitely a bonus for you.

But good luck and definitely keep us posted!!!

Edited by Finding_Stacy

Hi Greg!

Congratulations on your approval. That's great news! I just first want to say that I, too, have BCBS of IL. I'm not sure where you're having your surgery, but even though I live in N. Indiana, I'm having mine at the University of Chicago.

When I went into the surgeon's office for my first appointment, I guess I was expecting to be on an all liquid diet for two weeks before, and two weeks after the procedure. My doctor said that a low carb will suffice for two weeks before because that's how he wants his patients to eat for life, not on a liquid diet. Now, having said that, maybe it's a patient to patient thing. I have 225 pounds to lose, ideally, so that should tell you that I'm not on the light end of the BMI spectrum. But maybe some patients have more of a fatty liver that needs to be lean in time for surgery, so a liquid diet is the best bet--I don't know, I'm just shooting something out there into this vast strange universe known as the internet.

I want to have only the sleeve done and that's it. My doctor was/is pushing me hard for the DS procedure. Which surgery are you planning on having-- the sleeve, gastric bypass, or the ds? Some surgeries will have you lose faster than others, but either way, you will lose a ton of weight quickly since you're a man starting at a higher weight than a man who's, let's say, is only 270. And a man...did I say a man? Yes, you're a man. Us women tend to lose slower, so that's definitely a bonus for you.

But good luck and definitely keep us posted!!!

Thanks for the reply Stacy.

I'm choosing the Gastric Sleeve. I was given two choices, either bypass or sleeve. I chose the sleeve, cause it just seems less side effects and complications from surgery, in the long run. Yes, your correct. Reason, for the 14 day liquid diet is to reduce the size of the liver. Cause of my BMI at 63. Apparently if BMI were lower it would be less time. Most people who are under 45-50 BMI only need a 3-4 day liquid diet.

I have my surgery on Jan 24and am also anxious and excited.I will need to be on liquids for one week then Clear Liquids for a day. maybe it's because your BMI is so high

My surgery is January 31st, I have a BMI of 44 and I have to be on the clear liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery as well. No pre-made Protein shakes either. I have to make them myself with Water. I'm starting to think that the pre-op diet depends on your surgeon. Cuz it's varies with each person you talk to.

I'm starting my diet a week early so I can get accustomed to it. I'll start with having Greek yogurts and pre-made shakes and hopefully in a weeks time, the clear liquid diet won't be so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Greg,

Learning the information from 2 different surgeons and reading on here about the pre-op diet, there sure are a lot of differences! Yours sounds like the toughest, but you're tougher... you've helped people at their absolute worst, so you know you have it in you to help you too!

My surgery is on the 25th and I have full blown panic sessions. I'm a control freak and afraid of the unknown so the fact that I don't know exactly how my life will look, for the rest of my life, freaks me out. Reading and hearing about others' experiences helps, but only a little! I also hate the idea of being put under (probably a control thing, haha); I've had 4 knee surgeries and stayed awake for all of them. I asked my surgeon if this was possible and his response was "Well that's one I've never heard before".

On 1/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, GregMedic51 said:

I just came across this post again and was wondering how've you been doing?