Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op from my RNY and I never feel hunger.

I didn't think this would become a legitimate problem, but it is!

I feel like I can go about 2-3 days without eating and I know that's not healthy for me.

I don't know how to force myself to eat.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

im 13 years out and rarely feel hungry. I eat at regularly scheduled times so my blood sugar does not drop and I can get in the nutrients I need to stay healthy. I also take all my Vitamins and supplements to assure I get what I need to keep that blood work in the normal category each year.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.
One of the almost magical properties of weight loss surgery is the loss of appetite. Prior to surgery hunger was constantly continually gnawing at my bones. When I was eating a meal, I was thinking already about what I would eat for my next meal. That is one of the reasons why I became obese. Without hunger it was not difficult to lose weight.
In answer to your question. This loss of appetite will continue for around a year and then you will develop hunger again but it won't be at the same level that it was pre-surgery.
So at your stage keep meeting your daily protein, Fluid, Vitamin requirements; walk for around 30 minutes per day or other equivalent exercise; and consume the volume of food specified for your daily meals and you should do fine. You will not starve.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as protein shakes.

One of the almost magical properties of weight loss surgery is the loss of appetite. Prior to surgery hunger was constantly continually gnawing at my bones. When I was eating a meal, I was thinking already about what I would eat for my next meal. That is one of the reasons why I became obese. Without hunger it was not difficult to lose weight.

In answer to your question. This loss of appetite will continue for around a year and then you will develop hunger again but it won't be at the same level that it was pre-surgery.

So at your stage keep meeting your daily protein, Fluid, Vitamin requirements; walk for around 30 minutes per day or other equivalent exercise; and consume the volume of food specified for your daily meals and you should do fine. You will not starve.

My program wants me to stop with shakes by now and to get all of my protein from food, so that's why I'm worried about my lack of eating.

I get nauseous still and I can only eat a few bites of anything (except yogurt which of course I'm now getting tired of) before I get full, so I'm not coming close to meeting my protein goals right now.

My surgeon told me on Friday sine I am just 4 weeks out that he expects us to be drinking our Protein mostly for the first 2 months because I am feeling like you! Make sure you meet your Protein goal with your shakes and you will get there!!! Everyone heals and progresses at a different pace! Good luck to you!!

My surgeon told me on Friday sine I am just 4 weeks out that he expects us to be drinking our Protein mostly for the first 2 months because I am feeling like you! Make sure you meet your Protein goal with your shakes and you will get there!!! Everyone heals and progresses at a different pace! Good luck to you!!

My nutritionist wants me off my shakes so that's my issue right now.

Have you spoken to your doctor? I think you should go straight to your surgeon with these concerns then as Protein shakes will be part of our lives forever and we will never really be off them!

Have you spoken to your doctor? I think you should go straight to your surgeon with these concerns then as Protein shakes will be part of our lives forever and we will never really be off them!

My surgeon doesn’t handle my diet and he never has, my nutritionists do. And their plan for me is that after week 2, no more Protein Shakes for me period.

They emphasize getting my Protein from whole food sources from now on. So, I'm trying to follow their plan.

At 4 weeks post-op, your surgeon recommends that you get off the Protein shakes and try to get most of your Protein from meals. That might be difficult to do, maybe even impossible because your new stomach may not be able to tolerate it. When my stomach was healed sufficiently to consume solids, I basically relied on homemade high protein meals. I included some of the recipes that I used at the end of the following article, if you want to try them. But this really sounds like very strange advice from your surgeon to avoid Protein Shakes at your stage. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf