Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Diet before the surgery prep diet

So I am required by my insurance to get with my doc and go on a restrictive diet for 6 months, meeting with her once a month for weight-ins and evaluations.

I am curious if anyone who went through a similar thing has a particular diet recommendation. I had some success on Adkins back 13 years ago. I was able to stick to it more than others. I went back to eating normally though and put it back on and then some.

Looking at Keto or another carb restriction diet to hopefully train me to get away from that junk before and after the sleeve.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am also required to do a 6 month diet documentation. I'm tracking my sugar intake through my fitness pal and keeping my sugar grams below 24 g, since I'm a diabetic. My focus is high Protein (between 80-100 g) and low carbs. So far, I've lost 13 pounds since the beginning of December. My blood sugar levels are thanking me because they are fantastic. I've also started taking a bariatric Vitamin.

I did Atkins for two months and then the 14 day liquid diet leading up to surgery.

Lost 55 lbs.

It was really easy to stick with knowing that it was leading me up to surgery.

What's cool is that the post op diet has also been fairly consistent with the Atkins diet.

I had to do 6 months of weight management. My hospital has a really good program where u go to nutrition classes once a month. I lost 30 pounds during the 6 months with little to no exercise.

Basically what they taught was to focus on 2-3 changes a month. Their philosophy was to make life long changes and not to be on a crash diet. So that's what I did, every month I would cut out or work on 2-3 things and I never felt overwhelmed. Some of the things they wanted us to work on/change is:

No soda/juice, all drinks should be sugar free

No fried foods

Eating 3 meals a day with a Protein in each meal

1/2 cup carbs at meal and no more(corn is a carb!!)

Increase fruit and veggie intake

2 Snacks a day if needed, should be 100 calories or less and less than 9g sugar

Not eating while watching tv or on ur phone, they call it mindless eating and u tend to keep eating without realizing or enjoying it

Chewing ur food 25 times...seems odd, but it helps with digestion, also helps u eat slower which helps u recognize when ur full and not over eat

Proper plating(1/2 veggies 1/4 Protein 1/4 carb)

There were some other things too, if I can find the handouts I will post.

I had to go on a diet Android lose 10% of my starting weight for my surgery to be approved.

They are a multidisciplinary team: surgeon, psychologist and nutricionist. The surgery won't take place until you've shown a radical change in your habits and a willingness to keep a healthy lifestyle for life. The surgery is just a tool, not the solution.

I had 6 meals a day, every 2-3 hs. No sugar, no fat... Lots of veggies and fruit. No mixing carbs with meat.

I never felt hungry with this. And I lost 15 kilos in 4 months. More than they asked for, but my surgery was approved and I've kept losing. Now I'm on a liquid diet and my vsg is scheduled for Jan 17.

Oh! And you need to start doing exercise!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using the BariatricPal App

I had to go on a diet Android lose 10% of my starting weight for my surgery to be approved.

They are a multidisciplinary team: surgeon, psychologist and nutricionist. The surgery won't take place until you've shown a radical change in your habits and a willingness to keep a healthy lifestyle for life. The surgery is just a tool, not the solution.

I had 6 meals a day, every 2-3 hs. No sugar, no fat... Lots of veggies and fruit. No mixing carbs with meat.

I never felt hungry with this. And I lost 15 kilos in 4 months. More than they asked for, but my surgery was approved and I've kept losing. Now I'm on a liquid diet and my vsg is scheduled for Jan 17.

Oh! And you need to start doing exercise!

My surgery is the 17th also!!! Yay!

Yep! I believe I commented on one of your posts.

What time is yours?

What time is yours?

I won't find out the time until the day before the surgery. Hoping for early!

I'm asked to be there at 5:30 and surgery will be at 7. The earlier the better (because of the fast).

What time is yours?

I won't find out the time until the day before the surgery. Hoping for early!

I'm asked to be there at 5:30 and surgery will be at 7. The earlier the better (because of the fast).

That's great! I hope I have something similar!! I wish I knew the time already!!

Cross your fingers!