Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wedding dinner advice...

I am going to a wedding tomorrow and I am kind of freaking out about what to eat. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out from surgery. I am currently eating purée foods, although I really don't purée anything. I eat eggs and chicken salad and mushy vegetables and cheese sticks. What the heck can I eat at a wedding?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When I know I'm going to have trouble finding something to eat, I take a Premier Protein shake with me. Not much fun but it's on program and it keeps me from eating something that may cause me to fail. At 2.5 weeks out, you can't take any chances eating a texture that your Dr. hasn't approved. It's way too dangerous! I was on purred foods at that time, and I primarily stuck to cottage cheese, yogurt and tuna salad. There's no way I could have handled any more texture than that. Good luck tomorrow!

It might be easier to just eat ahead of time and if anyone wonders why you're not having any food at the wedding say you don't feel well.

Don't eat. Sip Water. Drink a Protein shake in the car between. The wedding and the reception.

Tell people you have an upset stomach. Don't over think it

Thanks everyone. I got myself all worked up over it and my husband said the same things you guys did... it just boggles my mind how everyone has such different eating plans from their docs and nuts. I was sleeved 12/21/16, and on purées the next day! I am on purees until my next appt on the 19th, and from then on I can have whatever is tolerated. It's so crazy to me that all the plans are so different. I feel so focused and obsessive about food since the surgery... I guess that's normal though.

Being sleeved takes some adjusting to. Evenntually, food will not hold the same value that it used to. I have found that any restaurant I go to or any event, I can always find something to eat. When at your stage, I always had a Protein shake before and then didn't want anything else. I have also learned to keep a Protein Bar handy for the times when I am not able to eat but need something.

It is a learning process for sure. Have fun at the wedding!

I am going to a wedding tomorrow and I am kind of freaking out about what to eat. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out from surgery. I am currently eating purée foods, although I really don't purée anything. I eat eggs and chicken salad and mushy vegetables and cheese sticks. What the heck can I eat at a wedding?!?!

Pro-tip inbound here:

Do NOT eat the wedding cake. That stuff causes sever weight gain and laziness.

At least it did for me when I ate some on my wedding night.................

Hi Merm- we had the same surgery date. . My dr had me on thin liquids for days 1-3, then thick liquids days 4-13, now I'm in the mushy food stage days 14-20 and days 21+ will be soft foods leading into regular foods. I'm now on mushy foods and I'm having a hard time w/ how much to eat. I had tilapia for dinner tonight and I feel like it sat in my chest for over 2 hours, so I guess I ate too much -. How much have you lost since the surgery? I'm down 20. If you want to keep in touch- my email is slpsandy@yahoo.com

Good luck at the wedding!

I am 2.5 weeks out and had my post op appointment today. I am eating chicken, turkey, sashimi cut into small pieces, etc. like you my doctor believes in getting you to regular food as quickly as possible. I have also had edamame and broccoli that was steamed with no issues. Maybe there is a fish choice. My doc also allows cheese now so you can nibble if they have some appetizers like a cheese display.

Hi Sandee! Yeah, the whole diet thing freaks me out that it is SO different for each person. I'm still having a hard time with how much to eat as well. I've been sticking to my sample menu and that has helped. The sample menu says 2oz of lean Protein and 1oz puréed veg 3 x a day with two Protein shakes for Snacks. I normally skip the second shake though or I feel yucky. I'm eating average of 650 cals a day and around 80-90 grams of Protein. Since pre op diet I have lost 30lbs.... since surgery, I have lost 11.

Congrats on your loss! How long was your pre-op diet for? Mine was a week and I lost 6 lbs. I should start measuring my solid food. I know I can have a little less than 1/2 cup of Soup at a time. I keep looking at my sample menu for suggestions also. The other day I had egg salad (1 egg) (mushy stage) and it was way too much food for me and it took about 2 hours for me to feel better after I ate it. I'm also trying to stay away from milk-based things - I'm using almond milk for my Protein shakes.

My pre op was two weeks. I have tried to stay away from Soup because it doesn't seem to have enough Protein for me and I am just hungry after a little while. I can eat a whole egg though. For Breakfast I usually have one scrambled egg with some low fat cheese. And then an hour or two later, I'll have a shake. Then a few hours after that I will have chicken salad and maybe some green Beans, and the same for dinner. Sometimes I will have a low fat cheese stick. I'm getting pretty tired of eating the same stuff, lol. My next appt is the 19th, and depending on how I am doing...I will be cleared for all food. I chew everything like crazy, so I kind of feel like I can eat almost anything now anyway. I had a handful of walnuts the other day and felt fine.

Wow! Seeing what you eat I'm realizing that I really need to up my Protein. I usually start my day w/a shake w/ 1/2 banana, a couple hrs later some Soup (sometimes no protein- but filling- the other day I puréed chix tortilla soup) and a couple hrs later fish or an egg and then a sf ice pop as a snack. I was focusing on eating every 3 hrs and tolerating the foods not getting my Protein in. I need to focus on the chewing too. Are you measuring your food? How are your workouts going? I haven't gone back to work yet and I've been getting to the gym and hopping on the treadmill for 2 miles.

I've just been walking so far. I cannot wait to get back to regularly working out. Yes, I do measure my food with a food scale. $12 on Amazon, and it gives me peace of mind. So I went to the wedding today. Had a very small amount of mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and some filet mignon. I chewed the meat like crazy, and luckily is was fork tender so I had no issues. And it was nice to realize that even though I thought people would be watching me and criticizing why I am eating so little or cutting it so small, NO ONE cares! lol. I was so paranoid people would comment or judge, and no one even paid attention. It definitely put my mind at ease as far as eating out.