Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is not really a big deal, but to me it is. My mom is still here helping me out post surgery. I am 2.5 weeks out, doing fabulously, and talking with my nurse and NUT, they suggested I try some "real foods". I went to my mom and I's favorite chain place, Red Lobster. I had a few bites of baked fish and a bite of mashed potatoes. I was stuffed! But I kept it down.

This was a big deal to me. My mom wanted to take me out and get me outta the house, and I love spending time with her. Also, I was glad to see I could eat some soft foods, as opposed to just Soup, popsicles, and shakes. Also, I was glad to see y taste buds hadn't changed :).

That's a huge deal! One of the toughest parts for me so far has been getting back to "normal" albeit a new "normal". I never want to eat like I used to, but it feels good to sit down to a meal (at home or at a restaurant), and be able to eat small portions, but within the realm of the normal. I don't like attention pointed my way, so it's important for me to fit in normally to social situations.

I'm 9.5 months out and still struggle with this at time. I'm going to a friends for dinner tomorrow and am stressed about it already. Especially since I haven't seen him since surgery and he doesn't know I had it.

One of the many good things about dropping 185 lbs is that people who knew you before the weight loss aren't surprised when you eat small portions!!

It's still weird for me. I remember having a grilled chicken entree with a group of friends. Thankfully, they already knew about my predilection for spicy food so, after 3 bites, I declared that the chicken wasn't spicy enough, and would finish it at home.
Still thinking of what to say, if we visit a West-African restaurant. :D

I know this is not really a big deal, but to me it is. My mom is still here helping me out post surgery. I am 2.5 weeks out, doing fabulously, and talking with my nurse and NUT, they suggested I try some "real foods". I went to my mom and I's favorite chain place, Red Lobster. I had a few bites of baked fish and a bite of mashed potatoes. I was stuffed! But I kept it down.

This was a big deal to me. My mom wanted to take me out and get me outta the house, and I love spending time with her. Also, I was glad to see I could eat some soft foods, as opposed to just Soup, popsicles, and shakes. Also, I was glad to see y taste buds hadn't changed :).

Omg Red Lobster is my favorite

I am happy seafood is a choice that you can keep it down... Good luck on your goal!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congrats!! It's so fun and enjoyable getting back to "real life" again- modified, healthy and small- but real food!

And the Lobster Bisque at Red Lobster....OMG amazingly good!

It's still weird for me. I remember having a grilled chicken entree with a group of friends. Thankfully, they already knew about my predilection for spicy food so, after 3 bites, I declared that the chicken wasn't spicy enough, and would finish it at home.

How long was it before you tried to eat that meal?

Was on soft/pureed foods for 3 weeks. Advanced to regular foods (except raw veggies, bread and pasta) last week.

Edited by Middus

Was on soft/pureed foods for 3 weeks. Advanced to regular foods (except raw veggies, bread and pasta) last week.

How was your first 3 weeks

@@dodlbug I had my surgery at Duke. Here they skip the purée stage and advance people to soft foods after roughly 3 weeks if the patient is doing well.

I've seen the other threads. I didn't start anything that wasn't cleared by my team. Both fork tender fish and mashed potatoes are allowed.

To be honest, In regards to food,it wasn't the best. I got really tired of my shakes and my sense of taste was off. I also kept having ridiculous cravings for specific solid foods. Didn't really care if it was head hunger or stomach hunger, I just kept thinking about fish and bread.. The cravings reduced in the 3rd week..

Concerning other things, I felt little pain so I didn't really need my pain killers, and I met my Water and Protein goals easily.

Edited by Middus

To be honest, In regards to food,it wasn't the best. I got really tired of my shakes and my sense of taste was off. I also kept having ridiculous cravings for specific solid foods. Didn't really care if it was head hunger or stomach hunger, I just kept thinking about fish and bread.. The cravings reduced in the 3rd week..

Concerning other things, I felt little pain so I didn't really need my pain killers, and I met my Water and Protein goals easily.

I'm having problems with my Water and Protein intake. The Protein Shakes are sooo nasty lol. I wish they had protein pills instead lol

I am 2.5 weeks and only did full liquids week one and puréed week two which also included some foods like eggs and tuna. I am in my third week and can eat just about anything high Protein including chicken, turkey, sashimi, steamed veggies, etc. Had my post op appointment today and doctor reiterated he wants my calories higher like 600-800 per day and mostly regular food and can supplement with a shake if needed to hit Protein goal. He prefers an approach getting his patients on real food quickly. So far so good as I have not gotten sick once just felt really full once or twice. My portions are still tiny. Oh and he said cheese is great which surprised me.