Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I was sleeved 2 weeks ago, and I'm recovering well. I think you just have to get through that first week of being sore post op, but it's totally worth it! Everyone is so different though, so you may have complications or you may not, there are no guarantees. I haven't been nauseous or had Gerd and I'm eating about 4 ounces per meal (puree/liquid). Each day has been different, some days I'm not hungry at all and others I still have "head hunger" and crave a taco. :) I haven't had any regrets so far. HW: 268 SW: 214 CW: 200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Yes. I already know a little about the process I know this is nothing like Lipo suction I have done quite a bit of research. I was already thinking it would take about 6 months. Like I said previously I did try other weight loss measures such as gym and diet but always seem to gain the weight back. Trust me this is a last resort for me. I do not want to do surgery. I do not this this will be fun. Not do I want to risk my life doing a major surgery unless I think it is really beneficial for my health. Thank you for your insight @@WhtWdUGive620

FutureFitGirl

Im also a Registered Nurse and they do it at the hospital where I work so I will definitely be talking to Bariatric Surgeons at the hospital where I work and sitting in on a few surgeries before I make my final decision. @@WhtWdUGive620

FutureFitGirl

I am new here and I am a beginner when it comes to Forums. I am here because I am seriously considering getting gastric Sleeve Surgery. I am 28 and I weight 260lbs. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and put on alot of weight because of pregnancy and feeling depressed.

I would like to know what are the main pros and cons of the surgery and if anyone has any advice they could give me I am more than open to it. I would highly appreciate it. I have hear about vomiting and Gerd and wanted to know how bad it is. Also how small are the portions the first month post opt. Also what is the attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483451873.240533.jpgaverage amount of weight most people my size lost the first month?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi! Not much more I can add to what others have mentioned. Just wanted to share my personal experience. I was sleeved 12/14/16 so I'm 3 weeks out today. Two weeks before the surgery my diet plan did not allow for any carbs (including fruit) and was mostly high Protein, low fat, zero sweets. Unfortunately I caught a cold a few days before my surgery so it was pushed out another 2 weeks. So my first advice is be especially careful as your surgery day approaches. Sick people are everywhere LOL. On the positive side, because I was on the restricted pre-surgery diet a total of 4 weeks instead of 2, it helped me drop 10 lbs before the big day. My surgery weight was 241. I'm now at 221. The surgery went well. I stayed one night in the hospital. I was on liquids the first few days then full liquids the first 2 weeks. I started pureed foods last Wednesday but find full liquids are still tolerated a little better. I had nausea at times the first few days. No vomiting to date. I have GERD occasionally depending on what I'm eating/drinking . I had a lot of gas right after surgery and up to about a week after. The GasX strips were lifesavers.

No cons at all! None. I walk every day. I feel great. You get so used to gulping everything down. That's been my current biggest challenge...learning to slow down. That's about it. Best of luck with your decision!

Hi! For me personally I haven't had any trouble with vomiting and no trouble with GERD. My transition was fairly easy and enjoyable. I'm becoming more active with each passing day and I feel the fire in my soul stoking back to life. I'm so grateful for having done this. As for cons I wasn't a fan of the clear liquid diet but that's such a tiny fraction on the journey it seems incredibly insignificant to even mention. Gas pain is rough too but again these things are a tiny fraction of the benefits I've experienced in doing this. I'm so happy I made this leap for myself. I was sleeved November 7th And I am down 35 pounds definitely not too shabby. I wish you the absolute best in wherever you go in life. You are beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It has been so empowering for me to see other people especially young people who have done this and had success with it. Everyday I am going more towards the decision to get the sleeve. I am excited and happy to begin this new journey. I can't wait for my seminar on Jan. 10 to learn more.

FutureFitGirl

I agree with Bufflehead 1000% GREAT POST Bufflehead. My advise is use this tool to get healthy. It's definitely a life change. My major set back was like Bufflehead states, you have adjust to your new lifestyle food will not be your comfort, entertainment and/or stress relief. I was 300lbs prior to surgery which was Oct 12th of 2016, im now 55lbs down. Oh forgot to mention, two week liquid diet i lost 19 lbs... then my body went through what is called a stalling period where as i was losing on average 12 to 15 lbs a month, but when reintroduced to food, i lost about 5lbs last month. Exercise and healthy food choice is DEFINITELY what you have to do. GOOD LUCK!! I say GO FOR IT! overall i'm HAPPY with my results.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Welcome Melissa Rose 24, think it is awesome you are talking to people before make decision too. It is a very personal one so comes down to what you want. You want to do it for yourself -nobody else. I had 2 miscarriages (my only 2 pregnancy but I was older at 39 & 40) & also gained weight after. I was 262 when started the program. I weighed around 252 when had surgery on 9/19/16. I am 194 today. It has been an adjustment for me to not drink with meals. I still do take a little sip or two sometimes but don't drink. Was big rea/water drinker before with meals. Other thing I have lost some of my hair -thinner now & this is a norm & people do get back to normal most I talked to but takes time. I had thick hair before. I know it may not be same when Hair loss starts coming back. This is a norm for many to lose some from 3-5 months post-op. But for me really two biggest hurdles. For me the positives out way -I don't wake up with pain, I enjoy exercise - even walking feels so much better, so weird to hear from family & friends how different I look & really liking how I look for a long time, but looks is small for me compared to health benefits. Health has improved drastically. I get my labs later this month & very excited to see them. Good luck whatever you decide & God Bless.

Sent from my SM-S902L using the BariatricPal App

It has been so empowering for me to see other people especially young people who have done this and had success with it. Everyday I am going more towards the decision to get the sleeve. I am excited and happy to begin this new journey. I can't wait for my seminar on Jan. 10 to learn more.

FutureFitGirl

Go for it!! Any other questions you have contact me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Depend how much u weigh. I lost 37 in 3 mo but i started at 197. So if u weigh more than that u will lose faster. Get the surgery, you will not regret it. You have such a pretty face.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App