Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op and I've advanced my diet

What if I eat a piece of cheese? lol

I'm all wide eyed thinking about this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I love cheese!

But probably not a good idea

Sent from my iPhone

Oooo I did it. I nibbled on a little slice of muenster. It was so good.

????????????????????

And that one sent me to bed smiling

Don't do that! Sleep!!

Sent from my iPhone

However, if you can stomach things I really don't see a problem.

Sent from my LGUS992 using the BariatricPal App

Sorry, I think this is pretty bad "advice." It's like telling someone it's okay to walk in front of a moving train because you did it and didn't get hit. Just because you didn't have a discernible problem, doesn't mean the rules aren't there for very good reason - to keep people from having serious complications.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I just want to say to all readers that I hope I haven't lead by example! Twenty minutes later and I'm doing just fine. I'm glad it was only half a slice of cheese and not a whole one even though I really wanted a whole slice - my mom told me no and that was good on her. Had a probiotic Gummy and drank some Water afterwards and hoped for good digestion. It tasted so good and creamy!

This will hopefully be my only break! Back to the perpetual flame of obeying the liquid diet!

If only everlasting gobstobbers were real!

Edited by sasharbinx

I was allowed to have yogurt, sugar free pudding and cottage in the hospital. I looked forward to puree but when it was ok I still couldn't tolerate it so stuck to shakes and cottage cheese for another week.

Sorry, I think this is pretty bad "advice." It's like telling someone it's okay to walk in front of a moving train because you did it and didn't get hit. Just because you didn't have a discernible problem, doesn't mean the rules aren't there for very good reason - to keep people from having serious complications.

I started this thread with the intention of confession, not coercion.

I think the rules are very sound and should be followed.

Just putting my experiences out there open and honestly.

#safespace #dontjudgeus

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah no más no más lol! In two days it's full liquids for me. Just gotta hold out!

Hold out for the queso! Lean on some siphoned broth to get you through. Panera breads chicken noodle, strain away everything. Delicious.

I'll see my surgeon in a few hours. I'll be moving on to full liquids too!

Sent from my iPhone

Exploring foods off your plan is very dangerous. Advancing your diet before your plan allows it can cause serious complications and even death. My mother in law explored foods early in her plan when she was not supposed to. She initially felt fine. For days even she was fine. Then she developed a serious leak. She had to have surgery to fix it. After surgery she developed a serious infection and a fistula that lead outside her stomach, she could not eat or drink anything without it coming out the front of her stomach. They could not contain the infection, they fought it for three months. Eventually she became septic, her organs shut down and she passed away. All because she could not adhere to her prescribed diet plan. The diet plan is given to you for your safety, it's not a suggestion, it's a prescription.

I thought long and hard about having the same surgery as she had but you better believe that I have followed my plan with the exception of drinking some coffee early which my surgeon said was fine. Please think twice before advancing your diet on your own. And for the poster that said I see no problem exploring foods early as long as you tolerate them. Educate yourself on post op complications surrounding not following your prescribed diet and then show a little responsibility about what you post. New people may read what you say and think it's ok, when it totally is not. I've seen with my own eyes what can happen. Just because you got lucky and were ok does not make it responsible to advocate that others play so dangerously with their lives.

That is why I specifically said to ask your surgeon first. Mine was okay with me exploring different foods beforehand, so that is why I don't see a problem with it, especially if it's still within the realm of what you can actually eat after WLS.

Exploring foods off your plan is very dangerous. Advancing your diet before your plan allows it can cause serious complications and even death. My mother in law explored foods early in her plan when she was not supposed to. She initially felt fine. For days even she was fine. Then she developed a serious leak. She had to have surgery to fix it. After surgery she developed a serious infection and a fistula that lead outside her stomach, she could not eat or drink anything without it coming out the front of her stomach. They could not contain the infection, they fought it for three months. Eventually she became septic, her organs shut down and she passed away. All because she could not adhere to her prescribed diet plan. The diet plan is given to you for your safety, it's not a suggestion, it's a prescription.

I thought long and hard about having the same surgery as she had but you better believe that I have followed my plan with the exception of drinking some coffee early which my surgeon said was fine. Please think twice before advancing your diet on your own. And for the poster that said I see no problem exploring foods early as long as you tolerate them. Educate yourself on post op complications surrounding not following your prescribed diet and then show a little responsibility about what you post. New people may read what you say and think it's ok, when it totally is not. I've seen with my own eyes what can happen. Just because you got lucky and were ok does not make it responsible to advocate that others play so dangerously with their lives.

Again, I stated that one should ask their surgeon first. Mine was okay with me exploring foods, and obviously only those within the realm of what WLS patients can actually eat, so nothing junky or foods that can cause leaks. If someone is looking to cheat in a bad way then my post would not confirm their needs because nothing I tried was bad; and if they are looking to cheat anyway nothing anyone says will sway them.

Thank you for sharing, and I am so sorry for your loss.

This is why I posted my "rant" about not "cheating" post-op. It's not cheating, it's risking your life. (link in my signature). I'm a nurse, and I've seen the results of not following the doctor's instructions post-op. Not specifically from WLS, but from other abdominal surgeries. This is not the time to "trust your body". It is the time to follow your post-op instructions to the letter.

It's one thing if your doc says "sure, try some pudding if you feel like it" and you do. It's quite another to decide you're up for some sort of solid food when your doc has you on liquids still. You're risking a lot.

PS: I didn't know Soup came with a little loaf of bread! I licked all over it and chewed on a corner like a dog with a bone, then tossed it out the window. Had to be a sight for the lady riding next to me

Sent from my iPhone

I've got no words...

PS: I didn't know Soup came with a little loaf of bread! I licked all over it and chewed on a corner like a dog with a bone, then tossed it out the window. Had to be a sight for the lady riding next to me

Sent from my iPhone

I've got no words...
I'm not one of those chew and spit food people. I just found some bread in my bag and it's been several weeks since I've had any. Never had it from Panera and I just wanted to taste it.

And that vivid description came after the fact, in hindsight. I'm thinking that's what anyone witnessing it would have perceived.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by CakesItUp

Safe space? Are you kidding? Nothing safe about eating off plan post op. Nothing safe about sharing the thought process that being a "little rebellious" is ok. To me, this puts all the lurkers and those doing pre-op research in a really dangerous position. You (general/plural) are giving yourself justification/permission to "cheat" "just a little".

It's not cute, it's not funny (looooool) and it's not safe.

No judgement. It's your body. Just offering my opinion.