Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days post op want to cheat [emoji30]

hello..

so i am still on my liquid diet only clear liquid.. and if i want plane yogurt from time to time just like my dr recommended. am sticking to the diet.. but am having a hunger feeling from day 7 and now all i want is to eat real food

is this feeling normal? didn't the say that they remove the place were your stomach gets hungry? or is it just a myth? and did you cheat on 10 days post op...

love to hear your experiences

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

In my world, there is no such thing as "cheating". I am an adult and I make choices, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I chose to stick to my prescribed diet pre and post op 100%. I respected myself and my family too much to allow a few bites of food derail my success and quite frankly, my life.

There is no food out there worth the risk of a leak, an abscess or any other complication, in my opinion. Is it easy? Not always. Are you worth it? Absolutely.

In my world, there is no such thing as "cheating". I am an adult and I make choices, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I chose to stick to my prescribed diet pre and post op 100%. I respected myself and my family too much to allow a few bites of food derail my success and quite frankly, my life.

There is no food out there worth the risk of a leak, an abscess or and other complication, in my opinion. Is it easy? Not always. Are you worth it? Absolutely.

U R COMPLETELY RIiiiiiiiiiGht thank u

Out of all things I could crave I want Raman noodles so bad! Ugh.

DS surgery 12/14/2016

i want sunny-side-up eggs

Good morning. I didn't "cheat" until recently at almost 3 months. And it only a bite of something off my plan, but on others plan at the same phase I'm in. I am still pretty faithful to my plan. Because I agree that nothing is worth injury and derailment after what I've endured.

I am a little disappoid because the weight loss is so slow for me.

I am just begining to feel wanting, but not because I'm hungry, but because I remember what food taste like.

Hang in there, those eggs are only a short time away!

Stick to your plann though, so you won't have rome

Edited by jacque2250

I don't advise advancing your diet before your doc allows. See link in my signature about "cheating" on post-op diets.

Cheat and you risk an ulcer like I have or a stricture. It will make your life a real misery. You are nauseated almost constantly, everything you eat hurts, you're restricted to just taking a couple of bites so stick to your doctors plan by the letter.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App

Here's the thing. There are a lot of types of hunger, head hunger, true hunger, visual hunger etc. Sometimes it's not hunger but heart burn....really. My Dr started me on about an ounce of pureed food such as zucchini (pureed with chicken broth to a loose paste) or carrot and that was while I was still in the hospital so. He also said that if I got hunger pains to take a tums or something like that. When I did my hunger disappeared most of the time. It does take awhile to get the hunger hormone out of your system and it will stay gone for about 6-12 months but it does come back. Cheating now will only make it easier to cheat worse later and you went through a lot to lose weight so why circumvent the process? If you cheat now while it's easy to lose the weight later when it is getting harder you will see that cheating only puts you back where you were before you started...is that what your goal is? Talk to your Drs office now and tell them how you are feeling and see if they can offer you some advice or perhaps allow you to start some very loose pureed foods. Remember this is only temporary and soon you will be able to eat the solids you want.

Unfortunately, the effects of surgery are different for each person. I was hungry the next day. It NEVER went away. I am 14 months out, and I can now easily tell the difference between acid and hunger, tho at first it was indistinguishable. Try Pantoprazole if you're not on it. Head hunger or just plain cravings still get me. The best advice I can give, I did not have the strength to follow myself. It is easier in the beginning tho, so stick to it. It doesn't get easier. Do not set yourself up for failure. The liquid and pureed portions of the diet are short lived. Remember that. Real food comes soon. And look on pintrest for recipes for the pureed/soft part of the diet, there are tons there. Stay strong!

I am a little over 4 months out, and I do get hungry. I had always heard that they take the part of your stomach out with the hunger hormones, so I don't really know why I get hungry. The nurse practitioner that was in one of my meetings before I had my surgery told me that she had the gastric sleeve about 3 years prior, and still has not had any hunger. So I guess everyone is different. I have been on a reflux med since my surgery, although when I went in for my 3 month check-up, my doctor told me to start weaning off of it. So basically I just wanted to chime in and say that I do still get hungry. But, I still can only eat about 2-3 ounces per meal, so I am definitely grateful for that. Stay strong, just remember at this point, you don't want to cause any trauma to your body.

Three things I do when I am "hungery"

1. Open the refrigerator and consider eating something on plan. If I don't want food I am allowed I'm not really hungry.

2. Exercise or take a walk for 15 minutes. even a short distraction from obsessing about (what ever food I crave) lessens or stops the "head hunger" I also find that physical activity curbs my appetite has two advantages.

3. Get a hobby or past time that you can't do while eating. I build miniature doll house furniture. For the non crafty, consider those elaborate coloring books. if you color with Joel ink you'll get some nice results. Right now I am building a piano. The last one I built took about 65 hours and the tiniest bit of food or oil will ruin it.

The most important thing I learned in my pre op phase is that for most people there really are no "good" or "bad" foods.

However for those of us who have had our anatomies altered to lose weight there are "best" food choices.

Your new eating plan is not a suggestion it's a prescription. If you happen to be 10 days out and hungery have some extra of what is allowed at 10 days. No one is perfect all the time, this site has thousands of posts made by people who ate bacon, candy, sausage, mc donald s, beer, Swedish fish etc three days post op without consequences but don't use that as a reason to justify (or exxcuse) progressing before you are supposed to.

I'm not perfect as some of you appear to be, but I do try to stick exactly to my doctor's plan. And I don't go outside of the plan phase in general. But it is very hard when you see that other doctors allow certain foods earlier than other do or that others never allow.

I wish you good going veryblessed, it's hard. But I expected that.

Your advice is great Aggiemae. Thank you for your compassion.