Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I know that everyone's recovery and process is different, but I was just wondering for people that have already had the surgery how long were you out of work? I have surgery scheduled on Friday and I am trying to plan how long I will be out! Thanks in advance for the responses!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I took a month off. I probably could have returned after 3 weeks, but I'm glad I had the time!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

I took 2 weeks off but that 3rd week at work was hard. Everyone is different and also depends on what you do. I sit behind a desk. But if you work in a job that requires hard labor or lifting heavy things, you are going to need a much longer healing time. Good Luck... ????

hw - 444 ~ surgery date 11/23 ~ sw - 363 ~ cw 341

My surgeon gave me really very little guidelines for this, he said average is two weeks but he had seen people return in 3 days, it all depends on your own recovery. I just had surgery last Friday, I arranged to work from home for two weeks. That way if I get tired or feel sick I can take a nap or whatever. Today is still a holiday so I start working from home tomorrow and I feel up for it. I am sore but overall pain is manageable, only taking pain meds at night to help sleep and I was able to stay up all day yesterday without needing a nap but I did have some bowel movement issues that would not have been fun at work. I would see how flexible your employer is to flex your back to work date based on how you are feeling

I go back to work tomorrow after six weeks off. I have a desk job and I'm glad I took the time off because it has been pretty uncomfortable for me to sit. I did have some complications but at the end of the day I'm happy it has been six weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

My sugeon requires 4 weeks off no matter what job you have. At the 4 week check up he determines if more time is needed or if the patient feels they need more time. I have a desk job and asked for an additional week for 5 weeks total but I feel I should have waited longer.

I felt good after three weeks. I was off for six weeks. I'm glad I did take the time. The hardest part was not the recovery pain, but the lifestyle adjustment to food and new eating habits. You need time to adjust to how your new diet will affect you. The extra weeks off for this was priceless. You will also need time to rest too.

I work in retail. I was out for 12 days, and going back wasn't too bad. I got tired fairly early on in the day, but other than that I didn't have many issues.

Wow, I'm suprised by these responses. I'm only planning to take a week off. I sit at a desk in a private office. I figured I would be just as uncomfortable at home as I would be at work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery on Wed, worked from home the next week starting on Mon, then back at the office the week after that. I'm in IT, so no physical exertion at work. If I'd had the time, I'd have liked that first week completely off and then worked from home the following week.

sent from mobile device

3 weeks. I work in HR and have a desk job, but my surgeon was adamant about taking the full 3 weeks to recover.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I had 3 weeks out then the 4th week I worked remote 4 hrs a day. I had RNY.

Wow, I'm suprised by these responses. I'm only planning to take a week off. I sit at a desk in a private office. I figured I would be just as uncomfortable at home as I would be at work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Are you having RNY or sleeve? I had RNY and can't imagine having gone back to work the first 2 weeks. You are so low energy. The 3rd once you are eating (if RNY) your energy level is so much better.

If you have the time take it. Mine was covered by short term disability. Look into that. I was surprised that bypass was covered under short term disability and FMLA.

I took 2 weeks off for rny. I was moving well after 1 week but when I was sore or low energy it was nice to lay back down in a comfortable position.

Also I work on the 4th of a walk up building so the first week of going back the stairs were a little slow going.

The first week back (3rd week post op) was rough at work. I was drained physically and mentally.