Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein vs Calories what's too much

A journal is an excellent tool. I keep track of everything in mine. Keeps me honest too.

Many people don't realize that there is actually a uniform standard of care for bariatric patients. Surgery centers that meet this standard are called "centers of excellence". Something people who have not yet had surgery consider when looking for a surgeon.

I often wonder what people who didn't get enough information, instructions or education would do if they did me have internet sites, like this one, to go too. It's very troublesome.

You don't need Protein at this point to build muscle. Morbidly obese people have a lot of muscle to carry the extra weight. You keep your Protein up to keep you satisfied and to keep the muscle you have. Also protein won't turn to fat as easily as carbs.

One scoop of powder in 8 oz of milk is 29-33 grams of protein. I have a hard time understanding why anyone can't get get three of theses down in the 15-18 hours they are awake everyday.

As for your question, the calories don't matter if you are counting your carbohydrates. My plan says no more that 1/4 of my grams should be carbs. I am on full diet so I try for 100 grams of protein and no more that 25 grams of carbs.

I do not monitor my fat intake at all, and have avocado, butter, olive oil, Mayonnaise, , butter and heavy crean. Of course I can only eat a bit over three ounces so my diet isn't actually fat filled.

I loose about 2 pounds a week, 3 if I stick to my exercise plan.

I am 64 years old and have been yoyo dieting for 20 years, so my body is pretty stubborn about holding on to fat.

Because I also workout pretty often I try to aim for higher protein to also build up my muscle mass the fair life milk has 13grams and 1 scoop of my Protein Powder is 30 grams alone so one shake with nothing extra added would be 43grams 30 minimum if i substitute the milk for Water. However you are right I do need to do better at spacing them out. Thank you for your input

I was also told the body can only process 30 grams of Protein at a time, any excess is not absorbed and is wasted. The suggestion of 20 grams per meal is a good one. But contact your NUT if you have questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I was also told the body can only process 30 grams of Protein at a time, any excess is not absorbed and is wasted. The suggestion of 20 grams per meal is a good one. But contact your NUT if you have questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I learned this about three years ago as well. Too much at one time won't do any good.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A journal is an excellent tool. I keep track of everything in mine. Keeps me honest too.

Many people don't realize that there is actually a uniform standard of care for bariatric patients. Surgery centers that meet this standard are called "centers of excellence". Something people who have not yet had surgery consider when looking for a surgeon.

I often wonder what people who didn't get enough information, instructions or education would do if they did me have internet sites, like this one, to go too. It's very troublesome.

I am going to start a journal. I need to. And I'm extra thankful for all the sleever experiences I can learn from. Thank you all!

I'm pretty sure the center I'm going to is one of the excellent ????

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Renea Glover

60g of Protein in a sitting is too much...

The body can only process approx 30g at a time...

380 cals is hard to comment on without some sort of perspective...

Like @@jenn1 said, it might be better to post a 'normal' day's intake and we can all go from there...

There is a ton of research that dispels this myth because its way more complicated than that. They type of Protein and how long it takes you to digest the meal will affect how much protein your body absorbs. So 60g in a a shake is going to absorb differently than say 60 g of protein from an actual meal. Which is one of the reasons I mix my Protein powder with food.

@@Renea Glover

Like @@jenn1 said, it might be better to post a 'normal' day's intake and we can all go from there...

There is a ton of research that dispels this myth because its way more complicated than that. They type of Protein and how long it takes you to digest the meal will affect how much protein your body absorbs. So 60g in a a shake is going to absorb differently than say 60 g of protein from an actual meal. Which is one of the reasons I mix my protein powder with food.
What kind of food pureed, Jello, whole?

Sent from my N9518 using the BariatricPal App

@@Renea Glover

There is a ton of research that dispels this myth because its way more complicated than that. They type of Protein and how long it takes you to digest the meal will affect how much protein your body absorbs. So 60g in a a shake is going to absorb differently than say 60 g of protein from an actual meal. Which is one of the reasons I mix my protein powder with food.
What kind of food pureed, Jello, whole?

right now puree so I mix it into my main meal which is usually a creamy Soup of some kind.

This has been a helpful conversation and may be a clue as to my slow weight loss. I wasn't getting enough Protein or calaries initially. So I was we for weeks. Then I think I may have over done it, I am almost 3 months out (10/10) and have only lost 22 lbs post op.

I hadn't heard about the 30 gram rule, so I'll take that into consideration.

On my own I started keeping a food journal with my fitness tracker. I is helpful

jacque I'm almost 3 months out too 10/12/16 I'm at 54 lbs lost setting alarms on my phone to remind me to eat and drink every couple of hours really helps and I keep a lunch box with Protein foods & Snacks as well as exercise

Thanks Renea. Sounds like a good plan.

I have started losing a gain - 1.7 lbs lats wee and 5.3 lbs this week, th most I've done in 2 weeks, since surgery.

It sounds like you are packing a lot of calories into a shake. Try using Crystal Light for flavor, unflavored Protein powder like GENEPRO which has far fewer calories than flavored whey protein, and Water. My doctor says 90 grams of protein a day and stay under 50 grams of carbs. The total calories ends up between 600-800 depending on what my other sources of protein are plus vegetables or small amount of fruit. Portion size is key - no more than 3 oz of meat and then add in a very small salad or some veg. I would eat the yogurt alone for Breakfast and have a Protein Shake mid-morning. This forum is a good place to look for ideas from people who have been through what you are experiencing. Good luck!