Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein vs Calories what's too much

So everyone says my main focus should be consuming a certain amount of Protein and Water. Well I find myself not getting enough of either so I started making my Protein Shakes stronger like 60 grams in one shake so i could reach my protein goal but this ended up mounting to 380 calories in one drink. Is that a bad thing? The break down is 8oz fair life milk (13g protein 80 calories) 1 scoop whey Protein Powder ( 30g protein 180 calories) 1 frozen triple zero greek yogurt (15g protein 120 calories) blended into one drink...

@@Renea Glover

My two cents.

In the first months, it may be hard to get in enough food to hit your Protein goals. You will be able to get more food in with time.

What stage are you in? Could you post what a day of food looks like for you?

Hi Renea,

I agree it's a real balancing act trying to get the Protein in. From reading what you wrote, I would say perhaps depending on what your surgeons recommended goal for your Protein intake per day (it seems to range a bit, for instance my surgeon only wants me aiming for 60g per day), it might feel better for you to split the amount evenly (if you can) throughout the day.

So for example, I would aim to have 20g in the morning, 20g around lunchtime and 20g at dinnertime. Snacks in between would make up any deficit or add extra. The reason for this seems to be related to giving you more consistent energy (although please correct me if I'm wrong on this!). I would also imagine that if you have a lot of protein/calorie intake in one go, then less throughout the day, you might struggle. Small but often seems to be the goal.

I'm not sure what stage you're in (liquid, pureed etc) so hopefully this all applies to you. This is just what I've tried to do and it seems to work for me.

Good luck! X

@@Renea Glover

60g of Protein in a sitting is too much...

The body can only process approx 30g at a time...

380 cals is hard to comment on without some sort of perspective...

Like @@jenn1 said, it might be better to post a 'normal' day's intake and we can all go from there...

@@Renea Glover

My two cents.

In the first months, it may be hard to get in enough food to hit your Protein goals. You will be able to get more food in with time.

What stage are you in? Could you post what a day of food looks like for you?

Jenn1 sometimes I get too busy and forget to eat all together so I try to at least get it in at Breakfast, then other times I find myself having to choose between food and Water and i almost always choose food because I can only take in such a small amount... but I try to focus on chicken, fish, salad, and veggies... however my kids bringing in snack foods doesnt help at all. My eyes are still truly bigger than my stomach and its something I really have been struggling with

Hi, I'm on solid food almost 12 weeks out, sleeved Oct,12th, 2016 Thats how I did in the beginning as well and I know I need to get back on a schedule if I want this to last. Life and children complicate a steady schedule. i need to refocusThanks for your input and good luck with your continued weight loss

You have to space your eating out. And do it all through the day.

I would never blow 380 calories on a Protein shake. I would just make my shakes with Water only.

And also really you should be eating every 2 to 3 hours to get your calories in. Piling them all in at one meal is not going to work for you long term.

I am 5 months out and I still don't get enough calories in. To get my Protein I have to do a shake for breakfast or lunch and then a Protein Bar at some point in the day . That is usually 50 and then I just hope what I do eat accounts for he other ten Grams. My shake is 160 calories-

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Maybe if i divide my shake up between two meals. Ive never been good at counting calories or measuring food to actually know completely what I'm taking in

You have to space your eating out. And do it all through the day.

I would never blow 380 calories on a Protein shake. I would just make my shakes with Water only.

And also really you should be eating every 2 to 3 hours to get your calories in. Piling them all in at one meal is not going to work for you long term.

I'm going to start splitting it up between 2 meals and I could also do it with Water as I have before. I've been so consumed with meeting the Protein requirement that I completely forgot about calories. Do u think it makes a difference if I'm working out regularly as well?

@@Renea Glover

60g of Protein in a sitting is too much...

The body can only process approx 30g at a time...

380 cals is hard to comment on without some sort of perspective...

Like @@jenn1 said, it might be better to post a 'normal' day's intake and we can all go from there...

Ok thank you Im going to split it up into 2 meals and possibly substitute the milk for Water at times to decrease calories. My trainer did advise that the more I work out thou the more I need to take in to fuel my body. I just need to track it better

One scoop of powder in 8 oz of milk is 29-33 grams of Protein. I have a hard time understanding why anyone can't get get three of theses down in the 15-18 hours they are awake everyday.

As for your question, the calories don't matter if you are counting your carbohydrates. My plan says no more that 1/4 of my grams should be carbs. I am on full diet so I try for 100 grams of Protein and no more that 25 grams of carbs.

I do not monitor my fat intake at all, and have avocado, butter, olive oil, Mayonnaise, , butter and heavy crean. Of course I can only eat a bit over three ounces so my diet isn't actually fat filled.

I loose about 2 pounds a week, 3 if I stick to my exercise plan.

I am 64 years old and have been yoyo dieting for 20 years, so my body is pretty stubborn about holding on to fat.

You said you aren't good a measuring and counting. I am curious, didn't you have to keep a journal of exactly what you ate for the first few weeks after WLS? I thought is was a "standard of care" thing? (American Society for Medobolic and Bariatric Surgons).

I measure everything. I can see that I would slide back into my old familiar behavior if I didn't. Think about getting a set of measuring ups.

One scoop of powder in 8 oz of milk is 29-33 grams of Protein. I have a hard time understanding why anyone can't get get three of theses down in the 15-18 hours they are awake everyday.

As for your question, the calories don't matter if you are counting your carbohydrates. My plan says no more that 1/4 of my grams should be carbs. I am on full diet so I try for 100 grams of Protein and no more that 25 grams of carbs.

I do not monitor my fat intake at all, and have avocado, butter, olive oil, Mayonnaise, , butter and heavy crean. Of course I can only eat a bit over three ounces so my diet isn't actually fat filled.

I loose about 2 pounds a week, 3 if I stick to my exercise plan.

I am 64 years old and have been yoyo dieting for 20 years, so my body is pretty stubborn about holding on to fat.

Because I also workout pretty often I try to aim for higher protein to also build up my muscle mass the fair life milk has 13grams and 1 scoop of my Protein Powder is 30 grams alone so one shake with nothing extra added would be 43grams 30 minimum if i substitute the milk for Water. However you are right I do need to do better at spacing them out. Thank you for your input

You said you aren't good a measuring and counting. I am curious, didn't you have to keep a journal of exactly what you ate for the first few weeks after WLS? I thought is was a "standard of care" thing? (American Society for Medobolic and Bariatric Surgons).

I measure everything. I can see that I would slide back into my old familiar behavior if I didn't. Think about getting a set of measuring ups.

No I was never required to keep a journal. actually just started journaling Today and I started the process one year ago and had my surgery Oct12, 2016