Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone Happy New Year!!!!

I am in my research stage and I'm looking to have gastric sleeve in Mexico summer 17. If you guys have any info to share about your surgeon or experience I would greatly appreciate it. Also do you think it is better to book through the surgeon directly or to use a coordinator or something? Any feedback, suggestions, things to avoid? I'm all ears!!! And if you have a YouTube or something I'll gladly check it out.

Thanks????

Happy New Year fellow newbie!!!

For me, I am right outside of the stage you're in. I've researched greatly, and made my appointment with the doctor for a consultation. One extremely important thing that I did do was read up on the small print of my health insurance coverage to make sure there wouldn't be any hidden fees with the procedure. That helped me a lot with just booking the appointment. Thank goodness the insurance that I have from my job covers everything. So once I read up on what my insurance covers, I called my health insurance and spoke with someone to solidify what I had read earlier and, asked the agent how to go about getting the procedure. She basically told me to find the doctor on my own, see if they accept my insurance and what it covers, then go from there. My appointment is on January 10 for a consultation(it's a start)!!! I've made appointments with all of my doctors so that I'm not waiting(I'll already have had my checkups done). I work with psychiatrists so I'll have one of them evaluate me. I've been weaning myself off of sugars and carbs, as well as meats. I'm infusing my waters. I'm so ready for this journey it isn't funny! My suggestion to you is to research, research, research. And when you've researched enough, research some more because there's always something we miss with the info given. I've talked to 4 people that's had the surgery as well which, Enlightened me to this forum. Hope this helps. Much success on your path to healthiness!!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@FunnyHunny39 thank you for replying. I had a consultation in the states, went to a seminar & had all my appointments booked but honestly I'm just not patient enough to go through my insurance process to probably get denied. So I'm looking to do self pay outside the U.S. now. I've silently been researching( stalking) lol for over a year now. I just want any insight from others on something I could have missed like you said.

@@FunnyHunny39 thank you for replying. I had a consultation in the states, went to a seminar & had all my appointments booked but honestly I'm just not patient enough to go through my insurance process to probably get denied. So I'm looking to do self pay outside the U.S. now. I've silently been researching( stalking) lol for over a year now. I just want any insight from others on something I could have missed like you said.

My insurance wouldn't cover bariatric surgery so I'm scheduled in March in Tijuana. I decided to use mexicobariatrics.com and my surgeon is Dr Luis Cervantes. I like that the hospital has an ICU and Er in case of complications. Lots of places call themselves a hospital but are only clinics. Look into that stuff and verify the surgeon credentials. I wish I could do it sooner but that's when I'll be able to have the $. Best of luck to you in your search.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App

My hubby went thru a coordinator called BELITEWEIGHTLOSS if I was you I would steer clear of them. The lady that helped us couldn't keep the clients straight. She talked about other clients to me over the phone. The information that we had wasn't like they had promised. We were supposed to have a Suite we got a small room. The price that we paid was the amount for a RNY. They couldn't do the RNY because of scar tissues from previous surgeries. We ended up paying way more than was suppose to be. The language barrier was a big problem. He never received discharge papers. They had gave us the postop diet for the RNY, when he ended up with the Sleeve I asked for the postop diet for the Sleeve and was told that the diets were the same. Which isn't true, I had the RNY and my postop diet was different than the Sleeve postop. Once we had the surgery done it was like they are done with you!! The Nurses didn't wash their hands, only 1 nurse used hand sanitizer. When I told the coordinator she said yes we are aware of those practice's and we are working on them. The saddest thing is he had checked out Bariatricpal but figured "You get what you pay for" because BELIITE charged more money he thought the care would be better!! NOT So I hope I didn't scare you to bad, just want to make you aware of the choice's out there. We have since heard all great things about Bariatricpal's services. Congratulations on taking the steps to better yourself!! Keep us in the know. I look forward to following your journies.

@@VSGVega thank you for responding I am aware of the hospital/ clinic thing. How do you fully check the surgeons credentials? Is there a website? Lucky you get to have your surgery in March that's my birthday month!! I was looking at your chosen surgeon for myself. Keep me posted on your adventure. Best of luck & thanks again!!

@@shedo82773 Thank you. No you didn't scare me at all. I appreciate you sharing your experiences because that's your right to do so. Oh no I wish it was better for you all. I'll be sure to ask about post op diet instructions. What facility did belite put you guys in if you don't mind? The hand washing situation is unbelievable Did you also have your surgery in Mexico? How was it compared to your husband's? Thank you for your honesty!!

@@shedo82773 oh yeah congrats on your amazing weight loss. I would love to have those numbers after my journey

My hubby and I went to Juarez, Mexico. No, I had my RNY around 2 hours from where we live. My surgery went great but...I did have some problems with Strictures (scar tissue) I had to have 5 endoscopes with 4 dilations. Just never know who will or who won't have problems with them. My problems started within the first 6 weeks. I had my first Endoscope in Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Jan 2014, July 2014 and my last on Jan 2015. We should have known because it took them 45 minutes to cut thru the scar tissue from my other surgeries. I had much better care here in the states than my hubby received in Mexico. I did need to change Dr's. My Dr did a failed revision from his Lap-Band to a RNY. He ended up having abscesses and was sick for 9 months and 3 he doesn't remember. So then he ended up going to Mexico because we found out after 3 years going to the VA that he has Cancer in his kidney. In order for them to take care of it, he has to lose 150#'s because of his size they can't do surgery. Long story short that is why we ended up in Mexico. The sad thing is he has insurance but couldn't get his weight off. Sorry for the book. It's just a lot to talk about!

@@shedo82773 Thanks again for being so open. How did you know you were having complications with scar tissue? I had previous surgery (c-sections) and was wondering what to be on the look out for. Did u feel a certain way? I'm so happy to hear you and your hubby are doing well. You guys went they a lot.

I meant went through a lot

With my strictures, it felt like my food set on top of my pouch. It would eventually go down, then it got to where I couldn't hold down even Water. I was vomiting all night. The pain kept getting harder. When I took my sleeping pill, the next morning at around 6am I threw it up it had set on top of my pouch, all night and came up just as it went down, whole. It hadn't dissolved at all. I called my Surgeon and drove the 2 hours there to have my 1st Endo done.

@@VSGVega thank you for responding I am aware of the hospital/ clinic thing. How do you fully check the surgeons credentials? Is there a website? Lucky you get to have your surgery in March that's my birthday month!! I was looking at your chosen surgeon for myself. Keep me posted on your adventure. Best of luck & thanks again!!

Its my birthday month too! Try this website. HTTP://cmcgas.org.mx/

Also check the resources on Facebook WLS Mexico how to research safely.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App