Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fell off the wagon

Hey Y'all, does anyone need to reset themselves? Started at 231 and got down to 165 and I've gained almost 23 pounds. It's so scary and I don't want to gain anymore. I started adding in carbs and slider foods and the weight just piled on. I also started eating out more. I need to get back to the basics. Is anyone in the same boat? Has anyone seen this happen and been able to turn it around? Sometimes I feel like I should have gotten the bypass because my friend got a bypass and she is so thin. I feel like I'm struggling. I am 2.5 years out. I know it's my fault. Anyone else in the same boat? Advice? ???????????????? I feel like a total failure. This is just a realization to me I will battle this mentally the rest of my life.

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

I am one year out and got down to goal weight comfortably but due to work and the stress there and anxiety - I feel like I'm just not eating healthy. I know I'm making bad choices but I can't help it. The high pressure and stress... i relate to feeling like a failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using the BariatricPal App

You are not a failure. You hit a tough spot. You made it this far you will be able to knock it off again.Turning it around is a very good possibility. It will depend on your life. The more you dwell on the "failure" the harder it can be mentally to do it. You need to decide and commit to change just like you did when you decided to get the surgery. I'm still fresh in my post op so I can't identify exactly with this struggle at the moment. Commit to changing. Do it in steps. You are not a failure. You hit a tough spot. You made it this far you will be able to knock it off again.

One more bit of advice: talk to your surgeon, nutritionist and or mental health professional. If they (surgeon and nutritionist ) are truly patient oriented, they will see you as a follow up and help you find ways to get back on track.

You can do this!

One word....therapy. Like you said, this is a mental struggle you will have for the rest of your life. Surgery did absolutely nothing to address the reasons behind why we became fat in the first place. Until you figure that out and learn new ways to deal with stress and emotions, you are fighting a very steep uphill battle. The right mental health professional can help even the battlefield.

My surgeon helped me lose weight, but my therapist is responsible for me being able to keep it off. Good luck.

It is not the surgery, it is the mindset. You have the tools, and you have already been successful, so you know what you need to do. The questions is, do you have the resolve to do it?

You've already described the issue in your post. Yeah, it can be hard. It will be hard. And it is not a bad thing to be accountable to someone to help you along the way. But a different surgery will not change your mental attitude. There's where you need to focus your efforts.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Really good points. I do think I need to find a therapist. This is probably a mental battle I will always have. There's good times and bad times but during the slower times I might need to talk to somebody when I'm not feeling as strong. Thank you everyone.

Hop on the board here for those slow times. There is almost always someone here to "talk you down" from eating that doughnut.